Sponsored By:

Complete air suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 12:20 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson234
Starting to figure out how to replace worn air suspension on 2014 gts cayenne. All the air components of the suspension are fine, it’s just so bumpy I think the shock dampening is worn at 130k miles. From one of the pics, it looks like maybe the lower half, the damper could be replaced only?

Also curious if the GTS bilstein units are different from the turbo units or other cayenne models, or is it simply the programming of the ride height, as gts is lower?

Seems like several of you have paved the way to figuring this out, would appreciate any tips pointers.
Before you enter the rabbit hole have the N2 level checked and refilled if needed. Very common to have the top O-rings leak.
I went almost 200k and pretty sure they would have gone longer if properly diagnosed,
Old 11-27-2023, 12:22 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SSDVC
Please post the info here, if possible. Some of the folks here would, perhaps, like something that wasn't made in China
Anoop Sangar also on FP
anoopsagar77@hotmail.com
+44447931344014
Old 11-27-2023, 12:48 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Wow, what a job. May I ask what this cost you to do, all-in? Would replacing with steel springs have been simpler?
Cost was over $7,000.00, but priceless not having to go to the dealership.
Figured with the miles it was just a maintenance item. Ordinal MSRP was $148K and still runs and rides like it did new.
I would not give up the air ride for steel springs.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:38 AM
Stevan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a cayenne 958 2011 3.0 diesel and I have a problem with the air suspension.On the car, all four air struts were replaced, all O-rings were replaced, all four pressure valves on the air struts were replaced, calibration was done (all four at 458mm, I don't know what the factory values ​​are). I also replaced a 40amp fuse and compressor relay.The car is raised to level II without any problems, the compressor is at 9-10 bar while driving.When driving,the car behaves normally, the compressor is very rarely turned on while driving.
The problem occurs when the car is parked for more than 2 hours, the front end of the car starts to fall and during some 5-6 hours the whole front end is lowered to the minimum while the rear part is standing normally.Otherwise all air struts have been checked again and they are 100% working with no leaks.The only diagnostic error is error code 00312 - Battery positive voltage, below limit value.
I am interested in whether anyone had a similar problem.I'm thinking of replacing the valve block.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Stevan; 11-29-2023 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:43 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stevan
Hi, I have a cayenne 958 2011 3.0 diesel and I have a problem with the air suspension.On the car, all four air struts were replaced, all O-rings were replaced, all four pressure valves on the air struts were replaced, calibration was done (all four at 458mm, I don't know what the factory values ​​are). I also replaced a 40amp fuse and compressor relay.The car is raised to level II without any problems, the compressor is at 9-10 bar while driving.When driving,the car behaves normally, the compressor is very rarely turned on while driving.
The problem occurs when the car is parked for more than 2 hours, the front end of the car starts to fall and during some 5-6 hours the whole front end is lowered to the minimum while the rear part is standing normally.Otherwise all air struts have been checked again and they are 100% working with no leaks.The only diagnostic error is error code 00312 - Battery positive voltage, below limit value.
I am interested in whether anyone had a similar problem.I'm thinking of replacing the valve block.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Text from above:
Target rear height in normal mode is 457mm on a Turbo
Target front height in normal mode is 445mm

After replacing your air springs (O-rings in your case) check for leaks with soap test and use the height deviation tool to measure/ monitor after the repair, then record numbers 4 to 5 hours after repair or in my case I measured overnight to see if there was any drop.
My numbers went up slightly (2mm) so perhaps a sign of no leaks.
By pushing on fenders you can also see these numbers change.

Valve block in my opinion less likey, I would check the compressor as in the video above. Or one of the air springs has failed.
DM if you need some assitance.
The following users liked this post:
Stevan (12-01-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 03:59 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 286 Posts

Steven,

Try spraying everything related to the air springs that retains or moves air with some very soapy water with a bit of glycerin in it (if you can find it)...basically the stuff one buys to blow bubbles with.
Stevan (12-01-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 07:19 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevan
I am interested in whether anyone had a similar problem.I'm thinking of replacing the valve block. Thanks in advance for your help!
Stevan, your symptom indicates a leak in the valve block. Why? A single leaking spring(bag) results in one corner being lower not both. The valve block has an internal common valve between both front struts and a separate internal common valve between both rear struts. The vehicle fills the axles independently. The pressure is held between the valve block and the struts, there is nothing in between. Pressure is also held between the accumulator tank and the compressor however valves between springs and valve block are closed during 'rest'. The chances that both struts are leaking is highly unlikely. You can so a soap test but I haven't personally found these to be that helpful. Perhaps for top o-ring leak.

There is another possibility but less likely given your description. When the compressor is not operational or very weak, the valves can open when it is trying to fill the struts and this can have an effect of equalising the pressure in the same axle as the valves are open but pressure isn't increasing. In this case the front would just lower over time, it would not recover when you drive it etc. Get a replacement valve block from somewhere like miessler automotive. I have a spare brand new valve block (Rapa) but I am in Australia. Cheaper option also quality = https://www.miessler-automotive.com/...-airsuspension.

FYI the residual control valves on a 958 should not need replacing although plenty of people do this as the first step. They are a simple design (I have tested them) and shouldn't be prone to failure as they are always open if the pressure hose is installed correctly. Their sole purpose is to retain pressure in the air-spring when the pressure hose is disconnected. The hose holds the valve open and when you remove it closes.
Stevan (12-01-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 04:25 PM
Stevan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tim Matar
Stevan, your symptom indicates a leak in the valve block. Why? A single leaking spring(bag) results in one corner being lower not both. The valve block has an internal common valve between both front struts and a separate internal common valve between both rear struts. The vehicle fills the axles independently. The pressure is held between the valve block and the struts, there is nothing in between. Pressure is also held between the accumulator tank and the compressor however valves between springs and valve block are closed during 'rest'. The chances that both struts are leaking is highly unlikely. You can so a soap test but I haven't personally found these to be that helpful. Perhaps for top o-ring leak.

There is another possibility but less likely given your description. When the compressor is not operational or very weak, the valves can open when it is trying to fill the struts and this can have an effect of equalising the pressure in the same axle as the valves are open but pressure isn't increasing. In this case the front would just lower over time, it would not recover when you drive it etc. Get a replacement valve block from somewhere like miessler automotive. I have a spare brand new valve block (Rapa) but I am in Australia. Cheaper option also quality = https://www.miessler-automotive.com/...-airsuspension.

FYI the residual control valves on a 958 should not need replacing although plenty of people do this as the first step. They are a simple design (I have tested them) and shouldn't be prone to failure as they are always open if the pressure hose is installed correctly. Their sole purpose is to retain pressure in the air-spring when the pressure hose is disconnected. The hose holds the valve open and when you remove it closes.
hello, sorry for the late reply but I was out of the country and couldn't deal with the car earlier. last week I replaced the valve block and the situation has not changed. after about five or six hours the front part of the car falls. and while driving, the car works normally in all modes.leaks.The only diagnostic error is error code 00312 - Battery positive voltage, below limit value. Do you have any suggestions on what to do next?

Last edited by Stevan; 12-22-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:34 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

It is super easy to figure this out: turn on Jack Mode on the car, disconnect the air line to the front left strut, fill it with air to the correct height, and then see what happens. If that strut drops, it is leaking and no other part of the system has anything to do with the situation.

While Tim's info is helpful, when a front left strut drops completely (like yours), it will cause the other side to lower too, solely because of the extra weight that single working strut has to hold. Your picture shows that the front left is completely collapsed (your bad strut) and your front right is not. So, rebuild/replace that front left strut!
Stevan (12-24-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 07:03 PM
Stevan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by garrett376
It is super easy to figure this out: turn on Jack Mode on the car, disconnect the air line to the front left strut, fill it with air to the correct height, and then see what happens. If that strut drops, it is leaking and no other part of the system has anything to do with the situation.

While Tim's info is helpful, when a front left strut drops completely (like yours), it will cause the other side to lower too, solely because of the extra weight that single working strut has to hold. Your picture shows that the front left is completely collapsed (your bad strut) and your front right is not. So, rebuild/replace that front left strut!
Thank you for your help. I'll try it after the holidays. I replaced all four air bags two months ago, but it's possible that it was installed badly or that it has a factory defect. I will report the final result. thanks again.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:58 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In case it helps, I rebuilt the same strut four times, and on the fourth time I finally realized the top mount's metal collar that is supposed to compress the upper o-ring, did not have a very subtle chamfer like the factory part has, so it kept scoring the upper o-ring and leaking no matter how careful and delicate I was installing the mount over that upper shock shaft o-ring. Fourth time was the charm, but really, the factory part was the charm...
Stevan (12-24-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 08:04 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

First one is the Factory part with a 1.5-2.0mm chamfer; second has an improper chamfer on the metal collar so it cuts up the o-ring:

Stevan (12-24-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 08:06 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Most likely our upper o-ring looks like this:

The following 2 users liked this post by garrett376:
jayi836 (12-23-2023), Stevan (12-24-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 05:07 AM
Stevan
5th Gear

Most likely our upper o-ring looks like this:
One more question,do you know what are the factory values for front and rear calibration. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2023, 08:19 AM
Stevan
5th Gear

In case it helps, I rebuilt the same strut four times, and on the fourth time I finally realized the top mount's metal collar that is supposed to compress the upper o-ring, did not have a very subtle chamfer like the factory part has, so it kept scoring the upper o-ring and leaking no matter how careful and delicate I was installing the mount over that upper shock shaft o-ring. Fourth time was the charm, but really, the factory part was the charm...
Hi,one more question do you know what the factory settings are for front and rear calibration? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Complete air suspension replacement