Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Talk me out of a Cayenne GTS for my wife...or don't :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 10:02 PM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Talk me out of a Cayenne GTS for my wife...or don't :)

Hi, new Porsche owner here (996.2 C2). My wife's lease is up on her Grand Cherokee and we have our name on a brand new Grand Cherokee L. Well, the GCL just landed and the lease estimate is nearly $650/mo. which I think is insane.

So...I started looking at used vehicles. My wife loves leasing, because it's generally 3 years, no headaches, get something new, move on. I know all about the used car market right now, having sold a car and bought a car within the last few months. Naturally, I looked into Cayennes, and I absolutely love the Cayenne GTS, and drool every time I see one on the road.

Please someone talk me out of a GTS for my wife! I feel like I am going crazy, considering buying a SECOND Porsche in 2 months.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:42 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I cannot oblige. I love my Cayenne so for me, the headline would be "Talk me out of a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S convertible".

Find one you like and see if the numbers make sense.
The following users liked this post:
TXCOMT (08-04-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 02:15 AM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

First and crucial mistake is you never mention if she wants a Cayenne. Sounds like you do. Buy her what she wants. No need for a thread getting opinions from strangers to figure that out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trio:
CAVU (07-25-2021), THP23 (08-17-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 03:10 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

His wife could be like my mom, in that she looks at a car as transportation and isn't moved by one over another. In that case, he is thinking of something he likes since it will also serve the utilitarian purpose she sees it for.

Not everything is misogamy, misogyny or what ever else you were suggesting. Sometimes a spouse simply knows the person they're married to.
Leadfoot_mf (08-10-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:04 AM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
His wife could be like my mom, in that she looks at a car as transportation and isn't moved by one over another. In that case, he is thinking of something he likes since it will also serve the utilitarian purpose she sees it for.

Not everything is misogamy, misogyny or what ever else you were suggesting. Sometimes a spouse simply knows the person they're married to.
Thanks. I wouldn’t be asking the internet about a car if I hadn’t talked to my wife first. I showed her multiple cars in the GTS trim, which is more for me than her admittedly, she would be Ok with a base. Then we weighed the options between new lease, or used finance. Once we found out that I can do a mod and have Apple CarPlay integrated into the existing setup, she was sold. I didn’t come to RL for relationship advice LOL.

My wife used to be into her cars more when we were younger and dating. I have photos of her polishing her G35 and Q50 with my buffer lol. She likes nice cars, it doesn’t matter if says Porsche, Infiniti, or Kia (looking at you, Telluride) to her, if she likes it she likes it.

I am looking to see if these 2016 GTS models have had any known issues. It seems the earlier ones are the ones I am reading the stories about. I already bought a 996 with no known IMS replacement, I don’t want to have another worry in the back of my head!

Old 07-25-2021, 09:30 AM
JZ98-993
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I’ll chime in, I purchased a 14 gts as my daily and have spent a few months with it now. For me I wanted the last n/a v8, and boy am I glad I went that direct the engine is just sooo good and makes all the right noises. I had never driven a cayenne before and had a macan turbo previously, all I can say is I’m in love with this thing as a daily driver. The steering and chassis are amazing, it’s rock solid and feels it’s built like a tank. If you put it in full comfort mode it drives just like a really nice luxury vehicle, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t make an excellent daily for your wife. I picked up a cpo car for piece of mind, you may want to think about that if it’s gonna do full daily duties as well, only *complaint is gas mileage where I’m getting 16-18 around town but the engine is worth that price of admission to me. Picking one up used, warranty and out the door for less than a new mid grade vw atlas can’t be beat in my mind. Do it! You won’t regret it
The following 2 users liked this post by JZ98-993:
JP_Gervs (07-25-2021), TXCOMT (08-04-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:45 AM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JP_Gervs
Once we found out that I can do a mod and have Apple CarPlay integrated into the existing setup, she was sold.
I would look long and hard at this statement if I was you, particularly if she is coming from a GC with U-Connect, I sold a 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JLU) and after a couple of months bought my 2016 base Cayenne. I too have been looking at the CarPlay mod, but I am still not sold on it, the technology that Jeep is offering in new vehicles is awesome, far more advanced that the 2016, but that is not why I bought a Porsche.
The CarPlay mod sure is cool, and it gives you Wireless CarPlay, but unless you are using your phone for all of your audio needs, streaming music (and not using the radio) it really isn't fully integrated.From all that I have read, unlike a true CarPlay integration, the add-on/mod, doesn't allow you to listen to the radio/satellite have CarPlay on the screen, and have say the navigation from the Phone come in over the top of the stock audio source (radio/sat), as the CarPlay audio integration uses the Aux input. So to hear CarPlay, you must be set to Aux, unlike in the Jeep where I could listen to the radio, and use CarPlay for directions, and it would reduce the volume of the radio, and announce directions form the phone over the top of the radio.

While I am waiting, I simply have my phone sitting in a phone holder next to the PCM screen, phone linked via bluetooth, and use the phone screen for nav, the downside is that when I receive directions from my phone, the radio is interrupted, whereas with a true CarPlay solution the radio gets quiet, and the navigation overlays it.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I’ll be of no help here. I have a 997 and when my wife’s CX5 lease was due we came to a similar conclusion. Wanted a bigger SUV and the cost of leasing a new one was encroaching on the cost of buying a used cayenne or x5. Ended up sourcing her a very cherry Cayenne Turbo (like you this trim level was more for me than her). Since our other car is the 911 this one gets a lot of weekend duty with me driving is so I’m glad I got the turbo frankly. Totally worth it. If you’re aware of the maintenance on these and can do some of it yourself, fire away! Couldn’t be happier with our purchase and being a double Porsche household!
Old 07-25-2021, 11:00 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Also I would mention I did the CarPlay upgrade for her too. It’s not flawless but it’s good enough and a totally worthy upgrade. If I were to do it again I’d probably go with the nicer NM automotive unit over the joyetech one, the sound quality issues people mention on the thread with the joyetech unit are real and noticeable
Old 07-25-2021, 11:56 AM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

I was simply responding based on the info suppled in the opening post, which mentioned nothing about his wife's opinion. Not suggesting an overbearing husband, just a response based upon my own decades of marriage and that my wife's opinion of cars is often different than mine. As you said, I know my spouse. I have been encouraging my wife toward a Macan for years, but she isn't budging from her Q5. I also don't think she wants to be in a Porsche of any flavor. Go figure.

Thanks. I wouldn’t be asking the internet about a car if I hadn’t talked to my wife first. I showed her multiple cars in the GTS trim, which is more for me than her admittedly, she would be Ok with a base. Then we weighed the options between new lease, or used finance. Once we found out that I can do a mod and have Apple CarPlay integrated into the existing setup, she was sold. I didn’t come to RL for relationship advice LOL.

My wife used to be into her cars more when we were younger and dating. I have photos of her polishing her G35 and Q50 with my buffer lol. She likes nice cars, it doesn’t matter if says Porsche, Infiniti, or Kia (looking at you, Telluride) to her, if she likes it she likes it.

I am looking to see if these 2016 GTS models have had any known issues. It seems the earlier ones are the ones I am reading the stories about. I already bought a 996 with no known IMS replacement, I don’t want to have another worry in the back of my head!
That's a good plan. If she is neutral and leaving the decision to you, go for it. I love my Cayenne S.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:59 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

I didn’t come to RL for relationship advice LOL.
We don't generally ask for relationship advice.

We're gonna get it anyway!

...and it's usually worth paying attention to!
luxcar (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:59 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

I'll echo the earlier sentiment about ApplePlay. I've been reading that thread but haven't done it. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
I have it in another car and don't really use it so, I don't think I'm missing much.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripking
I’d probably go with the nicer NM automotive unit over the joyetech one,
The 75 page installation guide alone is worth the additional cost of entry!
Ripking (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:42 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

This is a pretty biased group. I've had my 911, and I have no desire to have another. I love the Cayenne more than I ever loved the 911. The only other car I liked as much as my Cayenne was a 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE, but they don't build anything Ike that anymore. As long as you and your wife understand that the Cayenne is a performance SUV that fits in the luxury section, but lacks a lot of the tech bells and whistles, and the maintenance is high, and you still want it, then you won't regret it. The GTS is my favorite Cayenne by far. My opinion....no Cayenne looks as good as a GTS. If you can, buy a CPO or buy one that passes a good PPI and then buy a Fidelity warranty.
TXCOMT (08-04-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:39 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trio
I was simply responding based on the info suppled in the opening post, which mentioned nothing about his wife's opinion. Not suggesting an overbearing husband, just a response based upon my own decades of marriage and that my wife's opinion of cars is often different than mine. As you said, I know my spouse. I have been encouraging my wife toward a Macan for years, but she isn't budging from her Q5. I also don't think she wants to be in a Porsche of any flavor. Go figure.

That's a good plan. If she is neutral and leaving the decision to you, go for it. I love my Cayenne S.
Understood. Your reply seemed, judgmental, firing right off with "First and crucial mistake..." because the OP mentioned his adoration of the Cayenne.
Granted, more information to define the narrative would have helped but I presumed someone wouldn't buy a $70k vehicle for a spouse without a firm belief
that it wouldn't be well received.

My own wife has been dropping small yet not so subtle hits that when her M4 is due to be replaced, my Cayenne will have a Porsche sibling and not just any
sibling either, no, it will very specifically be a 911 4S convertible. I have only myself to blame really, she loves the Cayenne and she loves my Z06 Z07 and for
her, the 911 is better with four seats.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 07-25-2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Darn typos

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Cayenne GTS for my wife...or don't :)