Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Talk me out of a Cayenne GTS for my wife...or don't :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 01:54 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

↑ but still a Chrysler, despite it's Fiat owner.

Chrysler electrical and wiring is only matched by the British. Think, Sterling.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:03 AM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
↑ but still a Chrysler, despite it's Fiat owner.

Chrysler electrical and wiring is only matched by the British. Think, Sterling.
I have experienced this first hand in my 98’ GC 4.0L…

…but my 2011 Ram, 2016 Ram and 2018 GC have performed well without an electrical problems, for over 350k cumulative miles. Granted a 2018 wouldn’t have issues yet anyway. I believe they have come a long way. The 5.7 Hemi is an unbelievable engine, the 3.6 is as well. Both extremely useful and versatile engines. I’m not a fan of the muscle cars, but I heavily support Ram and Jeep.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:09 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The muscle cars they make are the only ones that could tempt me. The brutish raw hp is addictive.
There's a film with Frank Grillo called Boss Level. In it is a convertible Challenger that was never made by Dodge but should have been.
Had they made that car from the factory, I'd really give it a hard look, probably even test drive it!
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (08-10-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 11:16 AM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JP_Gervs
We are moving forward with the Grand Cherokee L Altitude. After even more discussion, Cayenne was too small for my wife. Tahoe, Yukon and the likes are too big and expensive. The 3 row mid size SUVs are all bland IMO, except Durango and new GCL. Jeep takes the cake for us. You wouldn’t believe the options they include on the Altitude trim, which is basically a Laredo with a different package. Solid bang for buck, I think. We shall see!
I had a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU that I sold before buying my Cayenne. In between time I did look at both the Jeep GC and RAM trucks, the technology inside them is pretty awesome, as it was in the Jeep. But, they don't drive like a Porsche!
Old 08-05-2021, 11:54 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by JP_Gervs
We are moving forward with the Grand Cherokee L Altitude. After even more discussion, Cayenne was too small for my wife. Tahoe, Yukon and the likes are too big and expensive. The 3 row mid size SUVs are all bland IMO, except Durango and new GCL. Jeep takes the cake for us. You wouldn’t believe the options they include on the Altitude trim, which is basically a Laredo with a different package. Solid bang for buck, I think. We shall see!
Looks like an interesting vehicle. That GC has come a long way over the years.

Did you cross-shop the Q7, by any chance? Lots of room in the back, third row seating standard (but not for full size adults...)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:26 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I've previously owned two Jeeps (Grand Cherokee Limited and a Patriot) and will NEVER buy a trouble prone Chrysler product again! I've also owned two Cayenne's (GTS and Turbo) and will not consider purchasing anything else in the future except another Cayenne GTS or Turbo. JMO
Old 08-05-2021, 01:20 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I've previously owned two Jeeps (Grand Cherokee Limited and a Patriot) and will NEVER buy a trouble prone Chrysler product again! I've also owned two Cayenne's (GTS and Turbo) and will not consider purchasing anything else in the future except another Cayenne GTS or Turbo. JMO
Agreed. We have two GC at work; nothing but issues. Another friend of mine had a Grand Caravan as a work van; transmission broke at less than 40k mi. They are pretty big POS.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:02 PM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Surprised to see that you guys are having issues with your late model Jeeps. We had ours 3.5 years, 40k miles. Not a whole lot of time I know, but still. Never needed anything AT ALL, besides oil changes. I did an air filter and a cabin air filter, that’s it.

My Ram 2500, owned since 2017 sold 2 months ago. Sold with 125-130k miles I can’t remember exactly. I towed very often at least 2-3 times per week, pretty heavy. Snow plowed for 3 seasons. Had a cap and Decked drawers filled with tools, truck weighed over 8k lbs without trailer or plow. Just did oil changes every 5k. In 125k+ miles only replaced tires once, the stock tires and brakes lasted like 55k miles. Just did brakes before I decided to sell, and I was about to do a suspension refresh as it was probably due. By the time I got rid of it, in 4 years of ownership and over 100k hard miles, the only time it was ever in the shop was for recall work - once. I will admit the backup camera was finicky after a while, randomly it would cut out and I’d have to open and close tailgate to reset it.

My 2011 Ram 1500 just **** the bed this year, at over 260k miles. Need a new engine. It was pristine when I sold it to my dad at around 150k miles, but he put his workers in it and they beat the living **** out of it and no one did any maintenance in like 2 years. Probably never even changed oil. If I still owned that truck it would still be going today.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:13 PM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't own a Chrysler product, or Chevy, or Rover, or BMW. They all have too many issues. I don't care if it's under warranty, I don't have time to worry about back and forth to the shop. Ford is even questionable, everyone I know with one gets recalls and electronic failures.

My wife wanted an XL size SUV and we were down to Mercedes GL or Nissan Armada, with the requirement being that the trunk was large enough to fit a large folded stroller with the 3rd row in place, and the middle row a bench to fit 3. Ended up with a beautiful CPO Mercedes GL550 loaded with bells and whistles at a steal. Paid about 1/3 of original MSRP of 96K with only 37K miles on the clock and 1yr CPO warranty. I've had great experience with my past Mercedes. That car is a dream to drive. Powerful TT V8, tons of room, and excessive comfort.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:17 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When it comes to Ford and GM, I think their trucks are pretty solid. The rest seems questionable. I briefly owned a Ford Focus; looked good on paper but a total POS as well; horrible transmission and poor quality overall; paint was already fading at age 5!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:21 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If I needed a reliable utility vehicle with third row, it's hard to beat a Honda Pilot. Bullet proof and holds its value extremely well.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:30 PM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

So funny, every Ford I’ve ever encountered (never owned one) I hated! They all feel so cheaply made to me. When you close the door, your center console shakes and squeaks. The steering wheel feels like that of an arcade game, loose, as if not actually attached to anything. You can drive a Ram 1500 truck like you stole it, the 5.7 hauls azz and they handle quite well for a big vehicle.

BUT - this thread has gone completely off the rails now that we are at the good old Ford vs GM vs Ram debate lol and I will go back to my home , the 996 forum
Old 08-05-2021, 10:29 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 391 Posts

Any Cayenne after 17 will have apple car play. I have a 17 Cayenne GTS, it is not smooth. The engine room noises are loud, always some rotary sound, the suspension is firm even with air. My car have 21 inch rims and needed to reduce from 295/35 to 285/40 for reasonable comfort. Many others have done same. I’m also on my second transfer case.
I have the keyless entry too, dont keep the key next too your phone, then the car won’t recognize it and won’t start. It will unlock the car but not “find the key” to start. Annoying.
then there is apple car play, sometimes it won’t connect, I say 5% of the time, or it will connect but won’t connect for phone calls. Again, annoying. Newer cars at 100k + retail should be better.

I suggest you look at the 19 S. The 2.9 engine is new and very good. Car rides much smoother, lot quieter and a much better car. It is only down 40 hp from the Older GTS. If you think it need more, a simple tune will make it very fast.

Try and test the old model vs new back to back and compare.

since market is crazy now and your car have been trouble free, consider keeping it one more year and then get into the 19 S.

good luck

Last edited by Norge911; 08-07-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:17 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Norge911
I suggest you look at the 19 S. ...
Might want to reread post #30...
Old 08-13-2021, 11:17 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by luciano136
Only one mistake: not buying it for yourself LOL

I have a 996TT and picked up a 14 GTS earlier this year. It may just be my all-time favorite vehicle I owned. I checked out a base 2020, 958.2 S and 958.1 turbo. The 958.1 GTS is the only one that really spoke to me. The handling still blows me away.
I'm with you. I love my '13 GTS...

Also have a 996 C4S which I love...but the GTS is still my favorite all around.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Cayenne GTS for my wife...or don't :)