Sponsored By:

Random jerkiness after ATF fluid & filter change

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 01:17 AM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

That's awesome! Gotta love when you find solutions on a forum!
Old 04-20-2021, 05:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxmemo
First of, I like to thank everyone for your time and for contributing! With your help, I followed the top off procedure and got my issue resolved:

I turned on the engine, went through P-R-N-D for 2 second in each gear, 3 times. I proceeded to unscrew the drain plug and hardly any fluid came out. I pumped in a quart of new ATF while the engine was running. I disconnected the fill pump from the tranny and left the plug off, small amount of fluid came out in a steady stream before the tranny reached 35C. When the tranny reached 38C, the oil started to drip and I eventually put the plug back on.

I went for a long drive where the car reached its operating temperature. Drove it like I stole it to repeat the conditions that caused the issues outlined in my original post however the car drove great. I experienced smooth upshifts and downshifts.

In conclusion, the tranny was running almost a quart low on ATF.
Thanks for coming back with the solution.. that's what makes forums valuable.
The following users liked this post:
Jaxmemo (04-21-2021)
Old 09-08-2022, 06:44 PM
997-1-C4S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed transmission oil and filter and the gears jerk

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Thanks for coming back with the solution.. that's what makes forums valuable.
I just done my Porsche cayenne s 2011 958 v8 transmission fluid and filter changed on 225k Kms. I noticed after coming to a stop from higher speed the car just gave some hard jerk. The garage just filled 6.5litres of fluid and they said it’s full because the rest of 2 liters remain torque converter. I have no idea whether that’s right or not. How can I check whether the fluid is adequate for the transmission or not.

thank you
Old 09-08-2022, 06:53 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997-1-C4S
I just done my Porsche cayenne s 2011 958 v8 transmission fluid and filter changed on 225k Kms. I noticed after coming to a stop from higher speed the car just gave some hard jerk. The garage just filled 6.5litres of fluid and they said it’s full because the rest of 2 liters remain torque converter. I have no idea whether that’s right or not. How can I check whether the fluid is adequate for the transmission or not.

thank you
Jaxmemo above followed the top off procedure and needed a total of 8 quarts on his. My mechanic used 9 quarts but dropped the pan. You're likely a little low.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:13 PM
Jaxmemo
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

thank you
make sure you follow the refill procedure outlined above. Most likely, low on ATF. One way to tell if the fluid is low is by following the refill procedure by going into p- r- n- d for few seconds and getting the tranny temp to 40C and unscrewing the tranny drain screw to see if anything drips out. If you have steady drip, oil level is good. Screw the drain cap on. If nothing comes out, you need to add oil.

The reason knowing the tranny fluid temp is important is because ATF expands with heat. The expansion won’t be accurate if you go above 40C hence you may have lower fluid level than what you need to have. And if you open the drain cap while the ATF temp is below 40C, you won’t have oil drip out because the ATF isn’t expanded like it should.

Last edited by Jaxmemo; 09-08-2022 at 07:15 PM.
luciano136 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 02:00 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxmemo
make sure you follow the refill procedure outlined above. Most likely, low on ATF. One way to tell if the fluid is low is by following the refill procedure by going into p- r- n- d for few seconds and getting the tranny temp to 40C and unscrewing the tranny drain screw to see if anything drips out. If you have steady drip, oil level is good. Screw the drain cap on. If nothing comes out, you need to add oil.

The reason knowing the tranny fluid temp is important is because ATF expands with heat. The expansion won’t be accurate if you go above 40C hence you may have lower fluid level than what you need to have. And if you open the drain cap while the ATF temp is below 40C, you won’t have oil drip out because the ATF isn’t expanded like it should.
If you want to do this once, and get it right, do not wait until 40 degrees C. 35 degrees C is the max you should reach, and you want a solid stream coming out, not drips. If nothing comes out when you pull the plug, you need a different mechanic. As mentioned in many of the other posts on this topic, these transmissions prefer to be filled higher than most people fill them at, even experienced shops get it wrong.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:12 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

The garage just filled 6.5litres of fluid and they said it’s full because the rest of 2 liters remain torque converter.
The capacity of the transmission is 13.5 liters.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:20 PM
997-1-C4S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going back next week

Thanks to all for your feedback. Heading back next week to a new garage and will do a brand new fluid change and will follow the full workflow accordingly. I’m just not satisfied with the work done by Toronto transmission garage. I’m not sure even what type of ATF they used and whether they done the job rightly or was it just a drain and refill! Who knows!

will post the outcome soon

Old 09-09-2022, 02:50 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for your feedback. Heading back next week to a new garage and will do a brand new fluid change and will follow the full workflow accordingly. I’m just not satisfied with the work done by Toronto transmission garage. I’m not sure even what type of ATF they used and whether they done the job rightly or was it just a drain and refill! Who knows!

Best to go to someone who is familiar with Cayennes and Porsche's in general. Not as clear cut as most vehicles.
997-1-C4S (09-09-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:33 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

So what happened?

Quick Reply: Random jerkiness after ATF fluid & filter change