Sponsored By:

Help me buy a 958.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 02:19 AM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinT
Good afternoon Alexk911. I just recently purchased a CPO 2017 Cayenne Platinum Base. I would have liked more power, but wanted the tech and added 4 zone climate control, heated and cooled seats pano roof, and apple car play. I believe I have a TC issue as I get an odd vibration and hesitation going from 1-2-3-4 and it gets worse if I have driven for awhile. Taking it in at the end of the month to have it looked at. (thank god for the CPO). Inventory still seems low for good options and CPO so I do not see buying opportunities getting better soon. The car is fun to drive and I have no regrets to this point.
These are the same reasons that we purchased our 2017 Cayenne Platinum Base with approx 30,000 miles. Stay 2017+ for Apple Car Play vs adding it aftermarket. Get CPO with extension for transfer case. It's a great vehicle sizewise, power is OK, robust inventory at my local dealer (Jackson, MS) so they are competitive on pricing. Competitive enough that while I was there today they had someone fly in and take delivery and someone else come by train, pick up, and drive for home which was Chicago I believe. Quick plug for Peyton or Ridge at Porsche of Jackson, MS.
I just dropped mine for transfer case replacement today, they ordered it in last week when I called and detailed my symptoms, which match KevinT's precisely (30 minute warm up or so, then obvious stuttering upon acceleration from 5mph through 60mph or so). I had actually mentioned them to my salesperson a month or so ago; he told me today that they have had half a dozen others since I mentioned it. The loaner I am in is a 2021 base and it feels like the exact same vehicle, just with glass panels everywhere vs more traditional switches/*****/screens -- mention this to share that a 2017 doesn't feel "dated" but rather a bit more user friendly if your prefer clicking a button vs swiping through menus.

Last edited by 1963SWC; 03-23-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:57 AM
KevinT
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid 42K but it had 50K miles on it.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:51 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jonUF02
If you truly want a family friendly car you NEED the air suspension. I find the spring suspension on my recently acquired 2011 S model to be very stiff after experiencing it for a few weeks now, coming from multiple Mercedes cars in the recent past, including wife's GL550 currently. I'm just waiting for the day wife has to drive the CS and says this thing is way too stiff and bouncy. Go look for a Mercedes ML or GL (GLE or GLS in newer terms) with a sport package and air suspension if you truly want a family hauler, or at least air on the Cayenne may make the ride a bit more bearable for the fam, I didn't have the chance to drive one, but if I consider one again I would definitely want it to soften the ride when simply driving around town, picking up the kids, anything less than spirited driving conditions.
Originally Posted by luciano136
For comfort, Mercedes is hard to beat. I have an ML and it's so smooth and comfortable on long drives. Not sporty though; the steering is numb but as a utility vehicle and long distance cruiser, it is excellent.
Interesting comments... I found the base Cayenne on steel springs WAY more 'comfortable' than any other SUV I test drove. I'm thinking that my wife and I define comfort differently since we both prefer 'stiff' suspension and find it to be more comfortable than soft (wallowie?) suspension. All other SUV's which are more truck-like give us motion sickeness on twisties.

Anyway, this thread is getting off topic so while I appreciate the recommendations, we have looked at everything else and we're 100% decided on a Cayenne. I'm not bothered if it does not have air suspension due to it's poor reliability (at least in most other cars).
Old 03-23-2021, 05:47 PM
dmppdx
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
I have ZERO desire for a Turbo... remember this is the family vehicle (which my wife would drive as well). No offense, but I think that uber fast SUV's are an oxymoron. I know that I'm in the minority but I think the base 958 V6 is more than adequate. I want something low mileage and full warranty.
How is it an Oxymoron?

I find that now days a sports car that is only used on the street kind of an oxymoron since even inexpensive, not overlly high performance sports cars are way more than you could ever use on a normal street without endangering others or risk loosing your license. And super cars, those are just a huge waste and just an image thing unless you are taking them to a track. Its not like 20 years ago where if you wanted something fast, you needed to get a sport car. The reason that Cayennes appeal to so many people is that they are fun to drive, without the hassle of a small, two seat car and all the limitations that prevents for their use.

Last edited by dmppdx; 03-23-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:45 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Interesting comments... I found the base Cayenne on steel springs WAY more 'comfortable' than any other SUV I test drove. I'm thinking that my wife and I define comfort differently since we both prefer 'stiff' suspension and find it to be more comfortable than soft (wallowie?) suspension. All other SUV's which are more truck-like give us motion sickeness on twisties.

Anyway, this thread is getting off topic so while I appreciate the recommendations, we have looked at everything else and we're 100% decided on a Cayenne. I'm not bothered if it does not have air suspension due to it's poor reliability (at least in most other cars).
Definitely not soft like a Lexus. I find most German cars to be on the stiffer side. It's just valved really well IMO. But like I said, great in a straight line. Backroads aren't great; little feedback from the steering and definite understeer when you pick up the pace a bit. That's why I'm also considering a Cayenne; 50% of my driving is on mountain roads.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:16 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmppdx
How is it an Oxymoron?

I find that now days a sports car that is only used on the street kind of an oxymoron since even inexpensive, not overlly high performance sports cars are way more than you could ever use on a normal street without endangering others or risk loosing your license. And super cars, those are just a huge waste and just an image thing unless you are taking them to a track. Its not like 20 years ago where if you wanted something fast, you needed to get a sport car. The reason that Cayennes appeal to so many people is that they are fun to drive, without the hassle of a small, two seat car and all the limitations that prevents for their use.
I agree...Just like newer super cars, I find uber-high powered SUV's (Cayenne Turbo, Turbo S, AMG 63, BMW X5M, etc..) pointless. My 981CS 6sp is more than fast enough for me and more rewarding to drive. Paired with a nice base Cayenne I think I'll have the perfect combo (for me) and lots of $$$ left over.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:04 PM
dmppdx
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree...Just like newer super cars, I find uber-high powered SUV's (Cayenne Turbo, Turbo S, AMG 63, BMW X5M, etc..) pointless. My 981CS 6sp is more than fast enough for me and more rewarding to drive. Paired with a nice base Cayenne I think I'll have the perfect combo (for me) and lots of $$$ left over.
In my opinion, cars like your 981 are kind of pointless. Even pre-covid I no longer commuted for work, so if I drive, its for a purpose where a Cayenne works much better for me. ie, doing errands, going skiing, going mtn biking, golfing where I want to haul a couple sets of golf clubs, going on a road trip, etc. So even if I had a true sports car, I would rarely drive it .So even if a sports care is a tiny bit more fun to drive, it becomes more of a toy at that point and I have plenty of things to do other than going on purposeless drives. I also don't have any interest in owning two cars for lots of reasons. Maintenance, storage, financial, etc. To me, true sports cars are kind of an outdated idea and more of an image thing now days.

Last edited by dmppdx; 03-25-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:31 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion, cars like your 981 are kind of pointless. Even pre-covid I no longer commuted for work, so if I drive, its for a purpose where a Cayenne works much better for me. ie, doing errands, going skiing, going mtn biking, golfing where I want to haul a couple sets of golf clubs, going on a road trip, etc. So even if I had a true sports car, I would rarely drive it .So even if a sports care is a tiny bit more fun to drive, it becomes more of a toy at that point and I have plenty of things to do other than going on purposeless drives. I also don't have any interest in owning two cars for lots of reasons. Maintenance, storage, financial, etc. To me, true sports cars are kind of an outdated idea and more of an image thing now days.
I recently picked up a Cayenne S but also have a 997 C4S Cab. I have to admit, I've had almost as much fun driving the Cayenne as I do my 997. Almost as fast in a straight line and very tossable in the corners and I can still go grab a bunch of stuff at Home Depot and throw it in the back. Looking forward to road-tripping to Central Oregon with the bikes on the hitch, loaded trunk, and my two kids sitting comfortably in the back.

However, driving on a nice summer day with the top down in the 997 and shifting my own gears with the 6-speed is awfully fun as well
Old 03-25-2021, 01:40 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

While I love my 6-speed 996TT, I hate to admit you are kind of right. There aren't too many circumstances where it's convenient to drive a sports car. I'll be able to drive it a bit more in the future but put less than 1000mi on it this past year
The following users liked this post:
alexl911 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:34 PM
mitternacht
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ZERO desire for a Turbo... remember this is the family vehicle (which my wife would drive as well). No offense, but I think that uber fast SUV's are an oxymoron. I know that I'm in the minority but I think the base 958 V6 is more than adequate. I want something low mileage and full warranty.
Here's a tip: ask your wife what she would like to drive.

My husband drives a 911 (991) Carrera S, so my car is always the "family" car.

I just picked up a CPO 2016 Cayenne Turbo S last summer and you can't beat it as far as comfort, speed, performance and utility. It's my daily driver, speed cart, tow car (for a couple of jet skis), camping vehicle, etc. etc. etc.

You don't have to sacrifice speed and performance for comfort, reliability and practicality. No compromise necessary. You can have them all.

Last edited by mitternacht; 03-25-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:58 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're looking at a base model 958.2 compared to a base model 9Y0 and its only $10k more I think its a no brainer to get the newer model. The interface is significantly improved and I would just order a nonreflective film wrap to go over the piano black areas if thats really an issue. The ZF8spd transmission alone is a massive improvement from the 958's. I am unwilling to get anything but a GTS or Turbo and the price delta gets quite significant for them between generations, thats really the reason why I am driving a 958 turbo. If it was only a $10k difference I wouldn't have even hesitated.

Quick Reply: Help me buy a 958.2?