Sponsored By:

Help me buy a 958.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me buy a 958.2?

I'm going to be moving back to the U.S. (Connecticut) in June/July 2021 and have decided to purchase a base 958.2. My budget is $50K all-in but obviously I would like to find the best deal I can. I'm thinking I want a base MY17 or MY18 because they have the updated PCM, low mileage, CPO warranty and within my budget. I'm 'fine' with power of a base engine so I would rather get a low mileage, highly optioned base versus an 'S'. Also, I'm not considering a 9Y0 (MY19+) has they seem to be about $10K more and I hate the center console gloss piano black plastic. I will most likely be buying remotely, sight-unseen, as I need the vehicle as soon as I arrive in the U.S. so I will most likely need to buy from a dealer with CPO for peace of mind. Apologies if this has been discussed already but but I'm hoping people can help me with these specific questions:

1. Except for the PCM, are there any meaningful mechanical differences between a MY16 vs MY17-18? A MY15-16 have the .2 mid-cycle refresh and are significantly less expensive than a MY17-18 even with low mileage. The newer PCM is not a must have for me but it is nice and would help with resale. Should I consider a MY15-16 and just do an aftermarket Apple Carplay interface??
2. What's happening with used Cayenne prices now? After reading loads of old post here and seeing what others have payed for their cars, I get the impression that pre-Covid-19 prices for used Cayennes were generally significantly less? I see lots of anecdotal evidence that the exact spec of vehicle I'm considering would have been $10K less a year ago? Could that just be the difference between a good private deal vs what dealers are asking for CPO vehicles today? Is this a really bad time to be buying? There also seems to be significant regional differences. I'm OK with buying anywhere in the country and either pick-up or ship.
3. Anything else I should consider?? i.e. Were the issues with the transfer case resolved by '17-'18??

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-22-2021, 02:56 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

As far as used car prices go, your observation is absolutely correct: they are much higher than pre-Covid. Supply issues limited new car availability pushing people to buy more used. Ironically, demand was also up during Covid; I'm guessing people were just bored because you see the same trend in vacation homes and other recreational vehicles like boats and RVs. So, it's a great time to sell but not great to buy. Not sure when prices will normalize; I'm guessing it won't be till next year.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:04 PM
KevinT
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Good afternoon Alexk911. I just recently purchased a CPO 2017 Cayenne Platinum Base. I would have liked more power, but wanted the tech and added 4 zone climate control, heated and cooled seats pano roof, and apple car play. I believe I have a TC issue as I get an odd vibration and hesitation going from 1-2-3-4 and it gets worse if I have driven for awhile. Taking it in at the end of the month to have it looked at. (thank god for the CPO). Inventory still seems low for good options and CPO so I do not see buying opportunities getting better soon. The car is fun to drive and I have no regrets to this point.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:09 PM
alexl911
Pro

Sounds like you may have the dreaded transfer case issue?? May I ask how much you paid? There are almost 2x MY19's for sale but they're $10K more for similar spec'd cars, which is more than I want to pay at the moment. The refined chassis and better engine are appealing but I really dislike the touch interior.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:15 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Not exactly what you're looking for in terms of trim, year, mileage, or CPO warranty, but I recently purchased the following:

2015 Cayenne S.
68K miles.
One owner vehicle.
Not to many options but I didn't care for most such as ventilated seats, pano roof, 20" wheels, etc.
All service was performed at dealer with all paperwork.
PPI completed with no issues.
No transfer case issues so far.
Price was $29K.

Maybe this information may be useful.

Last edited by JoeShark; 03-22-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:26 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good price! Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:28 PM
CWCTT
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At your price range, you can maybe get a 2016 GTS or a 2015 Turbo depending on options. Prices have definitely gone up in the used market. I would get the GTS if I were you as it has comes included with the SportDesign aero kit, Sport Exhaust and air suspension. Many members find it as the best looking example of a 958.2. Good luck in your search. My budget was about the same as yours and I was very fortunate that I was able to find a Turbo with all the options plus extras that I wanted including it being CPO.

Last edited by CWCTT; 03-22-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:45 PM
alexl911
Pro

Originally Posted by CWCTT
At your price range, you can maybe get a 2016 GTS or a 2015 Turbo depending on options. Prices have definitely gone up in the used market. I would get the GTS if I were you as it has comes included with the SportDesign aero kit, Sport Exhaust and air suspension. Many members find it as the best looking example of a 958.2. Good luck in your search. My budget was about the same as yours and I was very fortunate that I was able to find a Turbo with all the options plus extras that I wanted including it being CPO.
I have ZERO desire for a Turbo... remember this is the family vehicle (which my wife would drive as well). No offense, but I think that uber fast SUV's are an oxymoron. I know that I'm in the minority but I think the base 958 V6 is more than adequate. I want something low mileage and full warranty.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:49 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Look at Carmax and Carvana. Don't get spun-up at a dealership and over pay, or try to purchase from a private party (except from this site). Buy the extended Carmax warranty and get five plus years of driving major maintenance free pleasure. JMO but based upon a lot of prior experience.

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-23-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As a reference I just picked up a 2017 Cayenne S with 5,800 miles, nicely optioned, steel springs, premium pkg, LCA, 21” wheels, pano roof, heated steering wheel, $51,500. And it has all ready had it’s 10,20, and 30K services done by the dealer. Speed wise it is perfect for me I am on the fence about adding Softronic Software, 2 of my friends have or have had base Cayennes and enjoyed them.

The Transfer cases may have gotten better with this year if not it is my understanding Porsche will fix.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:23 PM
Glenncal1
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

You can use the Porsche.com website to search for cars available at P dealers. There is a jump in price from 2016 to 2017 but the cars a fairly similar. Of course newer is usually better.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 PM
CWCTT
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
I have ZERO desire for a Turbo... remember this is the family vehicle (which my wife would drive as well). No offense, but I think that uber fast SUV's are an oxymoron. I know that I'm in the minority but I think the base 958 V6 is more than adequate. I want something low mileage and full warranty.
That's fine. The reason I suggested the GTS or Turbo is that you mentioned that you wanted a highly optioned car. The GTS and Turbo models will have more desirable options stock and be more highly optioned that a base model. Most original owners who buy a new base model Cayenne V6 are not going to drop another $40k in options.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:59 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts

You will pay more at a P dealer, but you will get CPO, and that is worth a decent amount. Porsche have strict guidelines before they will allow a dealer to certify a car. I don't buy new cars, but I am biased toward CPO.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:54 PM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

If you truly want a family friendly car you NEED the air suspension. I find the spring suspension on my recently acquired 2011 S model to be very stiff after experiencing it for a few weeks now, coming from multiple Mercedes cars in the recent past, including wife's GL550 currently. I'm just waiting for the day wife has to drive the CS and says this thing is way too stiff and bouncy. Go look for a Mercedes ML or GL (GLE or GLS in newer terms) with a sport package and air suspension if you truly want a family hauler, or at least air on the Cayenne may make the ride a bit more bearable for the fam, I didn't have the chance to drive one, but if I consider one again I would definitely want it to soften the ride when simply driving around town, picking up the kids, anything less than spirited driving conditions.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:40 AM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonUF02
If you truly want a family friendly car you NEED the air suspension. I find the spring suspension on my recently acquired 2011 S model to be very stiff after experiencing it for a few weeks now, coming from multiple Mercedes cars in the recent past, including wife's GL550 currently. I'm just waiting for the day wife has to drive the CS and says this thing is way too stiff and bouncy. Go look for a Mercedes ML or GL (GLE or GLS in newer terms) with a sport package and air suspension if you truly want a family hauler, or at least air on the Cayenne may make the ride a bit more bearable for the fam, I didn't have the chance to drive one, but if I consider one again I would definitely want it to soften the ride when simply driving around town, picking up the kids, anything less than spirited driving conditions.
For comfort, Mercedes is hard to beat. I have an ML and it's so smooth and comfortable on long drives. Not sporty though; the steering is numb but as a utility vehicle and long distance cruiser, it is excellent.

Quick Reply: Help me buy a 958.2?