Sponsored By:

Should I extend CPO warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 02:13 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Most of the time, extended warranties are a waste of money. $3,800 seems like a lot for 2 years and a car that only has 42k mi. I would pass for sure.

Also, don't service or repair at a dealer and it will be less than half the price.

Last edited by luciano136; 03-24-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:23 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve got a 2015 CS with 70k miles on it. CPO just expired. To date, major stuff (covered under CPO) was the TC, Timing cover leak and RMS leak. No idea what that all cost, but I’m hoping that that is it for major repairs.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:34 PM
SteingoldVolvoCars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Fidelity Warranty Discount ($200.00 Promocode: RENNLIST)

Hey all - Michael Bernardo from Steingold Volvo Cars here - thrilled with the response from this forum, and so glad to help the Porsche community. We stay extremely busy with the Volvo plans through Fidelity from the Swedespeed.com forums, so it’s no problem at all to pass along the discounts to Rennlist.com as well!

Use the link below to get an Instant Free Online Quote with our portal, and use promocode RENNLIST to save $200.00 - the discount should help get the pricing extremely competitive, and we also don’t charge sales tax or processing fees. The only issue is w/ CA residents - California has a law that states its residents cannot purchase outside of CA. Bummer, yes, but the work around is to use an alternate address if you have a vacation home/etc.

https://www.steingoldvolvocars.com/p...ranty-plan.htm

So glad to help, and if any questions, don’t hesitate!

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
401-723-4700
michael.bernardo@steingoldvolvocars.com

Edit
Old 07-09-2021, 06:46 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by SteingoldVolvoCars
Hey all - Michael Bernardo from Steingold Volvo Cars here - thrilled with the response from this forum, and so glad to help the Porsche community. We stay extremely busy with the Volvo plans through Fidelity from the Swedespeed.com forums, so it’s no problem at all to pass along the discounts to Rennlist.com as well!

Use the link below to get an Instant Free Online Quote with our portal, and use promocode RENNLIST to save $200.00 - the discount should help get the pricing extremely competitive, and we also don’t charge sales tax or processing fees. The only issue is w/ CA residents - California has a law that states its residents cannot purchase outside of CA. Bummer, yes, but the work around is to use an alternate address if you have a vacation home/etc.

https://www.steingoldvolvocars.com/p...ranty-plan.htm

So glad to help, and if any questions, don’t hesitate!

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
401-723-4700
michael.bernardo@steingoldvolvocars.com
I just had a very pleasant experience with Mike at Steingold. My Q7 has 149,550 miles today and wasn't eligible for the standard Fidelity warranty. Mike's online system did quote me a high mileage Fidelity contract, and I followed up with an email and then he called. In addition to taking care of the business at hand we talked about our shared love for old Volvos and the '71 1800E he has in the showroom, and listed in inventory for a cool $1M.

The Q7 dieselgate warranty runs out this fall...but the Fidelity warranties take a jump at 150K. So...I added 4/48 coverage, the "Owner Select Plan." Cost was $6100 with a $500 deductible. Gives me relative peace of mind for another four years on what is a very nice, very clean Q7.

In two years, when the CPO runs out, the cost of a 4/48 coverage for my CS will probably be in the same ball park...but I look at this as catastrophic insurance...one incident on the Q7 and I'll be even. Two I'll be ahead. One incident with the CS...

Highly recommended!

Last edited by lml999; 07-10-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Received 1,098 Likes on 596 Posts

You guys need to go to the 997 or 991 forums where there is a lot more info on Fidelity. And CPO. Why the dealer would try to force you to do a service already done is bullsh*t first off. To keep your factory warranty in tact you can go to an independent, so why for CPO? Plus the greedy-*** dealer is making money on selling you a CPO warranty.

There's the fidelity platinum megathread in the 991 forum and perhaps you will find a Canadian contact there if you ask. For those in the states, there are two dealers that sell Fidelity and they offer 45% off retail typically. Their names are on the thread. Don't overpay.

Fidelity is what all the Porsche guys buy. A Porsche service manager told me they are better to deal with than CPO. Only get Platinum IMHO, not the powertrain or Gold. Platinum is an exclusionary warranty and that's what you want.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:38 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

I bought a Fidelity 6 year, 72,000 mile warranty from Michael (he posted on this thread) for my 2015 CD. I realize that a lot of people believe that extended warranties are a waste. It's simply insurance, and I do not want to own a German car without warranty. Fidelity is extremely good to work with and Porsche dealers are used to working with them. Also, since it is prorated, I pay for what I use, so I do have the flexibility to get a portion of my money back if I sell before the warranty period is up.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:13 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I am pricing out some plans myself. So far, I have one quote from a Fidelity agent for $9,500 on the PLATINUM / 60 Months / 60000 Miles / $100 (Deductible) plan.
Seems high to me unless Fidelity has access to data that I'm not privy to, like a high failure rate in the S-E Hybrid models above 45k miles.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:57 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I am pricing out some plans myself. So far, I have one quote from a Fidelity agent for $9,500 on the PLATINUM / 60 Months / 60000 Miles / $100 (Deductible) plan.
Seems high to me unless Fidelity has access to data that I'm not privy to, like a high failure rate in the S-E Hybrid models above 45k miles.
Seems high to me too...Not sure you need the Platinum warranty...take another look at the Gold, and check the $250 deductible. For the high mileage warranty I just purchased from Mike for my 150K mile Q7, I went with a $500 deductible that brought the overall cost down substantially...
Old 07-11-2021, 09:33 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Default That number seems high to me

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Have you communicated with Michael at Steingold Volvo? Also, I chose the $250 deductible.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:45 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

I have a call scheduled with Michael tomorrow.

I am trying to hedge my bets. I always get some kind of extended warranty and it seems that when I go for the zero or $100 deductible, I have either zero or just one/two service visits for the life of the contract
BUT when I opt for the $250 deductible, I end up with many many more than that. I had a Lexus once that I opted for the $200 deductible because.....well, it's a Toyota and should be reliable. That damn thing was about
as reliable as a Jaguar, no, scratch that, a Maserati. Yea, that's the ticket. A Maserati. The car you need two of, for when one is in service. I did the math once, that savings from the higher deductible was shed in the
first two years of the contract.

I read elsewhere on Rennlist that the Platinum was the way to go, coverage wise. I guess I would have to review each, side by side, to see if the Gold covers enough that my paranoia of Murphy would be satiated.
My main concern is the hybrid battery, electric drive and the PCM system.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:25 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Now it might just be me but I get hung up on verbiage in contracts. I figure an attorney was paid revolting sums of money to draft these contracts and to do so to the companies advantage.

That means the language in it is not geared to protect my interests so I have to read every minutia. The contract has this statement.

"PLATINUM COVERAGE PLAN Includes the POWERTRAIN and GOLD Coverage Plans plus ANY OTHER MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN except for those items listed in the section EXCLUSIONS

FROM COVERAGE and subject to the LIMITS OF LIABILITY section. All other terms and conditions of this Service Contract remain unchanged"

What I am paying attention to is this part "... plus ANY OTHER MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN..." and the reason is simple. Mechanical is defined as:

mechanical

[məˈkanək(ə)l]

ADJECTIVE

working or produced by machines or machinery. "a mechanical device"

(of a person or action) not having or showing thought or spontaneity; automatic. "she stopped the mechanical brushing of her hair"

synonyms: automatic · machine-like · unthinking · unemotional · unconscious ·

relating to physical forces or motion; physical. "the smoothness was the result of mechanical abrasion"

NOUN

(mechanicals)

the working parts of a machine, especially a car. "a major overhaul of the mechanicals"

and mechanics:

1: a branch of physical science that deals with energy and forces and their effect on bodies

2: the practical application of mechanics to the design, construction, or operation of machines or tools

3: mechanical or functional details or procedure; the mechanics of the brain

So I try to imagine the ways where Fidelity will look for a way out of a repair and this seems a pretty straight forward way out. The PCM is a computer. Nothing mechanical about it.

Zero moving parts. Nothing exerting any force or having force exerted upon it. Even the electrical section under Gold makes no mention of any infotainment systems, the navigation or radio

or any other comparable computer system like it, though it does mention reprogramming the ECM if it will correct a mechanical breakdown.

On face value, the Platinum would cover the PCM as the Platinum says "Includes the POWERTRAIN and GOLD Coverage Plans ....plus... " but when I read what that plus actually is and isn't, the

concern is in the verbiage. Anyone else have this concern? Anyone have the Platinum coverage and had it cover the PCM/navigation/radio?

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 07-11-2021 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Refine post
Old 07-12-2021, 02:30 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Received 1,098 Likes on 596 Posts

Nobody I know of buys the Gold or Powertrain warranty because they are inclusionary meaning they tell you what they cover, and you don't know how many other parts there are in a car until they tell you your failure is not on the list of covered parts.

Platinum tells you what is NOT covered. Clutches, brake pads, rotors, common maintenance items. Also convertible tops. There are threads that cover this in depth in the 997 forum especially when it comes to a PDK failure and what the most common failure part is. There's a lot more action post-wise in the 997 and 991 forums and guys that have wrenched the most common failures and can explain why they chose Platinum.

Get three quotes including Mike at Mossey, Troy Dietrich, and the Volvo fellow here on this thread. I might add I saw that dealer's can't sell into California on-line? That's news to me, but I may be wrong. I bought mine once in-person in Utah and drove the car back to Cali, and two times in-person in California.
The following users liked this post:
ZenicaPA (07-12-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 06:28 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Did anybody purchase the warranty? I am still looking. But IIRC from my reading SeH owners need to get the Gold or Platinum warranty for the hybrid system coverage. Did I misread?
Old 07-16-2021, 06:39 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craig001
Did anybody purchase the warranty? I am still looking. But IIRC from my reading SeH owners need to get the Gold or Platinum warranty for the hybrid system coverage. Did I misread?
I bought a Gold level warranty last week from Mike for my Q7, with 150K miles. He is a pleasure to deal with.

You're right...you will need at least Gold to cover your hybrid system. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do on the CS...it's either Gold or Platinum...but I've got probably 18 months to think about it (covered by CPO...)

Do your research on coverage before you talk with Mike...he covers many makes/models and isn't in a position to guide you to specific coverage for your particular vehicle... This is *not* a knock against Mike, to be clear. He is very helpful, and doesn't want to steer you in the wrong direction...

Last edited by lml999; 07-16-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I extend CPO warranty?