Sponsored By:

Used E-Hybrid Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 AM
Tony Staires
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used E-Hybrid Pricing

I’ve been searching for a used 2014-2016 Cayenne S or GTS for a while now and I keep noticing that the E-Hybrids seem to be lower in cost than a comparable gas model. Is there a reason for this? Would it be worth getting the hybrid at a lesser cost. Just trying to see what I’m missing here. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Staires
I’ve been searching for a used 2014-2016 Cayenne S or GTS for a while now and I keep noticing that the E-Hybrids seem to be lower in cost than a comparable gas model. Is there a reason for this? Would it be worth getting the hybrid at a lesser cost. Just trying to see what I’m missing here. Thanks!
There were a few upgrades to e-hybrid in 2017 (facelift) and again in 2019 (major upgrades). Suspect that may have an impact on the prices for the 15/16 and earlier versions of the platform. I wanted CarPlay and that only became available in 2017 models, so I never really seriously looked at the earlier versions despite them being similar.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:27 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't believe there is a tow rating for them, and the ones I've seen also lack the 4WD modes....so make sure you don't need neither towing. or off-roading. If I was going for fuel efficient Cayenne, I'd probably just go with the diesel, although I know you can't get anything beyond a 2016 with that motor. I had a friend who had the later hybrid and he rarely had to put gas in it....which is the opposite to my GTS.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

A 958.1 Cayenne S Hybrid is not the same as the 958.2 Cayenne S E-Hybrid. I'd venture to say the 958.1 S Hybrid version was primarily a marketing demonstration for hybrid technology, versus being a desirable model for some Porsche-like aspect (power, sound, handling, etc.). Its lower value is reflected in the fact it's not really very efficient, can seldom go any distance on full electric, weighs a lot so it's not sporty, has no off-road programming, has very poor brake feel, is under powered, isn't supposed to tow, and has all of the costly 958 maintenance issues PLUS a whole slew of even more expensive hybrid-specific drivetrain potential problems...
The following users liked this post:
Farmer Michael (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:33 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

The newer model SeH's can tow IIRC. Older models can be adapted unless you have the Sport Design package. My e-mileage number varies by temperature coming off charge. During the cold snap we had here in StL last month I was seeing 7 miles and in the summer I normally see 11-12. There is a sweet spot that I see 13 and occasionally the 14 Porsche claims It is nice seeing 99.9 mpg on the PCM when starting out and staying on e-power. Another possible reason is the extra cost to have 240v installed in your garage. I spent around $2k to have a separate service installed in my garage.. All SeH's are AWD btw.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:23 PM
Tony Staires
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found a 2014 Cayenne S e-hybird, but it concerns me that the warranty had run out (from what I've been told), and you can not get an extended warranty on the e battery. Should I be concerned? Should I get the extended warranty even though it does not cover the battery?
Old 03-14-2021, 10:06 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts

My opinion, and it's worth what you pay for it is either buy an EV or a an ICE car. The complexity of a plug in hybrid is over the top (a non plug in, a little less so). And, when the car is out of warranty, hybrid parts cost a fortune. My wife has a Panamera S e-Hybrid. We have had some hybrid problems, and if they were after warranty, the repairs would have been outrageously expensive. The Cayenne e-hybrid is expensive new, but the resale is lower than the rest of the Cayenne family. I am not entirely sure what to read into that, but it is a data point to think about. It could be a plus.....more car for the money. One thought is, even if the hybrid function fails, one can keep driving it in ICE mode. Keep in mind, all of this is my opinion,and it has bias.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:00 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

The reasoning is the batteries. Plain and simple. People get worried that they'd have to replace the batteries, and they're expensive. Porsche covers 8 years/100k miles on the batteries, so take that into account. I also bought an extended warranty to cover the hybrid systems when I bought mine.

I bought mine (a late in the year 2016) with 16k miles on it, and around 18 months old (bought in early 2018). We don't put a ton of miles on it and now have just under 29k miles...with COVID limiting sports for the kids and whatnot we only put on 3500 miles in a year and 13k miles on our other car. Any event, it had a $92k sticker and we paid I think $53k or $54k for an 18 month old car. So people definitely get put off by the hybrid for some reason. Here's the thing though, this Cayenne has been awesome. In summer we get about 14 miles per charge. In winter the numbers go down to about 8-10 per charge. Overall though, we average about 900-950 miles per tank when using both and charging after use and get 54mpge.

Last summer I swapped the stock 19s with a set of 21 Turbo II wheels and man does it look like it turn heads showing those huge acid green calipers (looks great w/ black exterior, might be odd with some of the other colors).

My advice, buy one 2016+. If you can get one with carplay (2017+) then great, but to be honest I have carplay in my other car and only use it on long trips anyways. When you buy one, get an ext. warranty that covers the hybrid components just in case.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:05 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

I noticed that as well but they are way heavier and the steering is numb; very un-Porsche like. That killed it for me.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:10 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
The newer model SeH's can tow IIRC. Older models can be adapted unless you have the Sport Design package. My e-mileage number varies by temperature coming off charge. During the cold snap we had here in StL last month I was seeing 7 miles and in the summer I normally see 11-12. There is a sweet spot that I see 13 and occasionally the 14 Porsche claims It is nice seeing 99.9 mpg on the PCM when starting out and staying on e-power. Another possible reason is the extra cost to have 240v installed in your garage. I spent around $2k to have a separate service installed in my garage.. All SeH's are AWD btw.
The batteries in these things are so small that you don't need 240V. They can easily charge overnight with 120V.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

"The batteries in these things are so small that you don't need 240V. They can easily charge overnight with 120V." Yes 120v can charge overnight, basically 9 hours. 240v takes less than 3 hours. So I can run it down in the morning, get home plug in and hit the timer over-ride button and be charged up for the afternoon if needed.Plus there is/was a fed tax credit of 30% of hte home cahrging startion cost (IRS Form 8911).

For the warranty - check out Fidelity Auto, don't know the cost but their Gold And Platinum plans cover hybrid components including the battery pack. Folks seem to like them in other threads. They are the only aftermarket plan that I found to have hybrid coverage.

Quick Reply: Used E-Hybrid Pricing