Sponsored By:

Lost all Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 08:42 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Erin Dunne
If I am reading the service report correctly, I think that is what the dealer did already. See snip above. They did a hard reset of PCM and then reprogrammed PCM to vehicle. BT fault still there. You think a new SSD would accept the programming?
There are 3 bits of info in the posted service note
1. a reference to a fault in bluetooth functionality - the did not mention if piwis just indicated a fault of if there was a more detailed fault message/code
2. They performed a 'hard reset - still did not see bluetooth' From the porsche site:
"In order to perform a PCM hard reset:
• Press and hold the PCM Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
• Immediately select the following from the PCM CAR > OPTION > Set PCM System > Reset PCM > Vehicle Handover > Yes > Yes"
3. Reprogrammed PCM to vehicle: I interpret this as the dealer again trying to use piwis coding to reactivate all the features licensed against the VIN in the hope that bluetooth would be reactivated - something that is done say if you were to swap the PCM unit from another vehicle; they would reprogram it using piwis to activate all the features applicable to your VIN (stored in Porsche's database); the same thing would also be done if you newly purchased/activated features that your pcm did not have earlier.

So unless the dealer explicitly told you that they ran the software update dvd, from just looking at the service note, not sure they did. For one, running the software update dvd does not require any reprogramming and two, from my experience many dealers hesitate running the software update disk unless explicitly requested as they are not equipped for more intensive pcm repair and running the disk could sometimes result in getting the 'emergency update loop' that the dealer may not be able to resolve - in my view it increases their liability or leads to bad customer experience as they cannot return the pcm back the way it was in case the customer does not want to pay for full repair..

You are correct that cloning alone may not help as the fault could also propagate - you will likely have to run the software update dvd even with the clone to see if that resolves any software related issues. But then again, given that you got this problem suddenly when pressing buttons, maybe running the software update dvd even with your existing hard drive itself may resolve it. And yes, you run the risk of getting the emergency update loop when running the update dvd. So its a last resort but worth an attempt if you've exhausted all other options and before you actually ship the pcm unit for hardware repair or replace with another unit...
Old 03-02-2021, 10:57 PM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Have you disconnected the battery completely from the car. When my system acted up, I disconnected the battery and that fixed the issue. nothing else worked. Hard PCM reset, failed. Battery disconnection worked.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Erin Dunne
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is my next step. Worth a try, right?
Old 03-19-2021, 02:26 AM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Just disconnect the negative battery for a bit then reconnect. It's that plastic surround right below the driver's seat storage compartment. You don't even need to remove the seat. Just move it back a little to get to that carpet flap.

Also, it won't work if you disconnect the battery terminals under the hood. That doesn't cut power to the radio.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:47 PM
blumpkin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue... Was this Solved??

Mine works in the morning when cold, then this exact issue happens with grayed out bluetooth buttons. Function not available.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:26 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed, My new to me 2016 Cayenne has the same issue when trying to connect a phone via Blue Tooth.
I don't think the previous owner loved the car the way I will, as much was not right when purchased and was missed on the PPI.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:13 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Erin, did you get this issue resolved. If yes, what did it take?
Old 10-06-2023, 01:39 AM
heeltoejunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Curious if there was ever a found culprit to this if battery or something else.

I got a second hand PCM3.1 and popped it in my 15 CD after I bricked my original. Never got it programmed to my car but it works enough to get me to use mr12volt CarPlay. I actually had the BT working and setup initially but the BT option no longer is available. Same with navigation as Navi worked when I first got it plugged in, but hadn’t opened it in a month when I was cycling through steering wheel menu and noticed Navi and phone were both not working.

imho the PCM3.1 is the worst Porsche thing I’ve ever experienced

Quick Reply: Lost all Bluetooth