Sponsored By:

Water Leak, Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 05:33 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Water Leak, Maintenance

I've seen several threads regarding water leaks on 958 (and other models). There was even a DIY thread but the videos have expired or no longer will play.
There is a nice DIY write up (6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/189922-leaking-roof-drains.html) but as I read through various threads I'm getting a feeling that at some point the seal
around the sunroof top seal lets too much water into the gullies and the drains are not capable of moving the water away. This is also complicated if your car is parked at a slant.

I'd be curious, those that have had a failure, did you find:
- break in the line (somewhere)
- clogged drain (only)
- neither or remedied one or both of the above but it still leaks (water overflow from the gully).

For those of us that do their own PM is drain maintenance (well covered in the Cayenne forums) the only thing we can do?
If the rubber seal has failed is the only solution to replace the sunroof cartridge?

Last edited by JRoach; 01-29-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

I suspect the rubber seal only comes into play if the drains are plugged up. If they are open, the water should never reach that high.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (05-22-2022)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Possibly and I hope you are right. To be clear, I'm talking about the glass track seal that is on the outside, lets the roof mechanism pass through it as retracts. The leaks people are experiencing are between the cartridge and car (vs the glass and the cartridge).

I tested mine to make certain the drains were clear and if the drain could be overcome in certain conditions.
Using a chefs squeeze bottle, squirted it down one track and saw how the gully/drain couldn't keep up with a few squirts (about 4oz). If the car is parked on a level surface
then all four drains share the load. If the car is on a slant then two drains have to handle the load.
It was pretty easy to overload a single drain so the rubber seal has to do its job. It looks like part of the seal can be peeled back but I'm afraid I'd never get it back together.
Since I'm looking for a problem that hasn't happened its not a big deal...if nobody has had the problem then I'm fine leaving it alone but one 957 owner did experience this and got me thinking about how many people have had issues and maybe cleaning the drains helps but it will return sooner than expected if the track seal isn't doing its job.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:46 AM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It appears to be a big issue in 958. my 16 had a rear control module go bad, I got it fixed, however I had to pay 1K and in addition I am worried with more car washes it will mess it, amp, and other stuff.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:34 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

If you keep up with drain maintenance, it should be a non-issue. Not being able to pass 4 oz of water suggests blocked drains...
Old 05-31-2022, 09:55 PM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the RCM under the spare tire? so I can look for damage? How do you clear it out, open front wheel wells?

Quick Reply: Water Leak, Maintenance