Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit on Cayenne 958.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 09:07 AM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit on Cayenne 958.2

Hi Guys

I have been thinking on install ACC on my Cayenne 2016 GTS (As my previous Cayenne had it and I loved it) and have been doing tons of research on the parts/programming etc. I am glad to inform I have finally installed ACC and its working like a charm Everything was done by myself(installation, coding, cabling etc) except the calibration

So if anyone is interested, here are some details about the project. It took me a few days to get it done because of missing parts and waiting for it, otherwise, the whole process can be done a day.

Parts Required. - Make sure you confirm with Porsche with model compatibility as it does differ a bit for different models(e.g. Center Grille for Diesel is different than GTS, I believe other parts are the same)

- Center Grille - with ACC cutover - I bought it news from Porsche, Cost: A$245
- Mount Bracket - Bought new Porsche as well - 958-605-086-00 = A$40ish
- Cover - Bought from Porsche - 958-605-379-0 - A$35
- Repair Kit (3 x Screws and plastic brackets to be used with Mount Bracket) - A$80
- Center plate to mount the bracket - Don't know the name/part no. Its in the center, behind the grills where you will mount the sensor. I called Porsche and they were able to give me the part. You can use the existing one as well. There are three screws to mount the bracket and the nuts are welded on the ACC enabled plate. You can just take off, weld yourself to save money.- Cost - A$90
- ACC Sensor - This is the most expensive part. In AU, Porsche sells it for A$6500 which is insane. I believe in US, its around $2500. I bought from eBay for AS500. Its up to you but a compatible sensor in a good shape will work. - Part No : 7p5.907.567.D
- Combo Switch Stalk - Behind the steering with ACC stalk - New one costs around A$900. I bought from ebay for A$250. For the stalk, there are two kinds of connectors on the back. I believe Porsche changed the connector with Porsche 2016 and above. I bought the wrong one and then I have to buy another one as connectors were different. You will need to remove the steering, plastic cover around the steering to see the connectors. Make sure you match it with the part from ebay.
- Steering Wheel Bolt - N-910-207-01 - A$45 I think. As you will remove the steering, its recommended by Porsche to use a new one every time).- Cost : AS15
- Wiring Harness - You cannot buy Geniune wiring harness as its part of the big cable lom and is inserted when you order the car. You will need to use a Chinese one. Good thing, the connector is genuine( you can buy connector from the Porsche as well - Part No : 4F0972708). And it only has four wires(Ground, 12V, 2 x Twisted cable for CAN) - I will attach the link to the part at the end of the page
- Calibration - VERY IMPORTANT step. I have been using the ACC without calibration for a few days now(very careful and testing only as need to wait few days for the appointment). DONT use the ACC without calibration as it can be lethal. You can get it done by Porsche or a third party calibration company(which I am using in Melbourne, Australia) - A$550 - I will attach the link to the company at the end of the page

- PIWIS II - You will need this for programming. I have a Chinese copy with works like a charm.

Total Parts Cost : A$1300 - 1500(parts) + Calibration A$500 = Total Cost A$2000 - 2300 - Depending on the parts pricing etc.

Steps
Steering Column Stack Installation
- DISCONNECT THE BATTERY - As you will remove the airbag
- Remove the airbag and steering - I will post a link of a youtube video showing the process at the end of this.
- Remove the plastic cover (the only bottom one is required), you might need to remove the covers below is steering, with footlight, and parking/light switch
- Remove the Column Stalk and install the new one.

ACC Sensor Installation -
- You will need to remove the front bumper for this. Sorry I don't have pictures or video link but you might be able to find it on youtube or just try it yourself.
- Remove both front tyres
- Remove both mud shields(above the tyres). There are almost 14-15 screws to be removed
- Remove the bottom shield(under the car) attached to the bumper
- Remove plastic engine covers (three of them, 2 on each side and one centre (above the radiator)
- Remove the 5 screws just next to the radiator, for the bumper
- Remove the bumper - remember to remove the bumper wiring connectors
- Remove the screws of the bonnet lock and remove the centre plate.
- Run the wire from the centre (below the centre plate). You can run the wire as you like, I used the existing path of the vents wire(in front of the radiator), then from the bottom to the back of the engine - It's up to you how you wanted to take the wires inside the car. I drilled a small hole just next to the main wiring LOM (you will need to remove the side cover - next to the wiper to expose the section between the engine and main inside body), and sealed it with silicone. I believe there is some post out there with another method to bring cables inside without any drilling. You will need to bring the wire on the passenger side as CAN gateway is there (For AU model.) For other countries, you will need to figure out the CAN gateway location. It can be at only two locations, behind the glove box or behind/below the steering wheel.
- Mount the sensor and mounting bracket and put the bumper back

Cable Connections to CAN Gateway
- You only need to connect four cables
- Ground and 12V, I used FUSE 49 on the passenger side fuse box and a nearby location for ground.
- 2 x twisted cables for CAN. You will need to connect to CRASH CAN cables. I exposed the cables a bit and soldiered the sensor cables.( Connector 17 for CAN CRASH HIGH(ORG/BLU) and Connector 7 for CAN CRASH LOW(ORG/BRN).
- On the sensor side, the wiring comes in the right order if you buy from the link provided. But for reference, I will attach the sensor connector diagram. (You will need to use PIN 1(Ground),PIN 8(12V), PIN 2(CAN HIGH), PIN 3(CAN LOW).

- Programming
As I mentioned above, you will need to have access to a PIWIS II or above
- Following modules needs to be coded.
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Steering Electronics
- PSM
-Engine Control Module
- For programming, you will need to know how to use PIWIS II and programme. Each module I mentioned will talk to each other and show errors, telling you which module programming is missing.

- CALIBRATION
I cannot emphasise enough that CALIBRATION is CRUCIAL and your life will depend on it as the wrong calibration can lead to deadly accidents. BOOK THE CAR and GET IT DONE.

Link

Cable Harness

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...20b14c4dKyq2zb

- Calibration - Mel - AU

https://advancedcalibrations.com.au/

- ACC Sensor Connector Details (ignore the other PINS including CAN2.)

- How sensor will fit on the plate(Not my sensor but taken from an ebay post)

- CAN GATEWAY Connection - ITS for PORSCHE CAYENNE 958. If you have a different model, you will need to find the right diagrams.

- ACC Fuse - 12V

Feel free to ask any questions if you are interested.

Also, It's very important to understand that you should buy a very good condition sensor without any damage and test/verify every step 5 times, to make sure all is done properly.
The following 11 users liked this post by sami_cayenne:
bludiesel (10-15-2023), Carlton Bale (11-05-2023), ChrisTDI (12-04-2020), deilenberger (12-04-2020), GTCharlie (03-08-2023), Heegoogoo1 (12-06-2020), IMWA (08-22-2022), MJ23 (12-05-2020), mo01gte (05-12-2023), nerdtalker (12-11-2020), stjoh (10-16-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:24 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I also wanted to retrofit this but it was cost prohibitive for me.

Thanks for posting this as it will help me in future to source the parts
Old 12-04-2020, 10:11 AM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

This is great info! Thank you!!

I was just looking into this this past weekend. I am going to be doing my front timing cover reseal and wanted to retrofit the radar sensor and front camera at the same time I had the bumper off. I was thinking of connecting my crash can high and low at one of the headlights or power steering pump connector instead of penetrating the firewall. Any thoughts there?
I can’t believe retrofitting ACC could be easier (coding and activating) than a heated steering wheel!

I also have a 2016 GTS with LCA, but not LKA or ACC. Looks like ACC is straightforward, but LKA requires a new steering column, so that might not be realistic.

Last edited by volcanogts; 12-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Sami - a MOST EXCELLENT DIY.. outstanding. It's been archived/copied to our DIY forum - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-958-2-a.html

Thanks MUCH for all the effort you put into this!
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:22 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

Never mind
Old 12-05-2020, 01:15 AM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by volcanogts
This is great info! Thank you!!

I was just looking into this this past weekend. I am going to be doing my front timing cover reseal and wanted to retrofit the radar sensor and front camera at the same time I had the bumper off. I was thinking of connecting my crash can high and low at one of the headlights or power steering pump connector instead of penetrating the firewall. Any thoughts there?
I can’t believe retrofitting ACC could be easier (coding and activating) than a heated steering wheel!

I also have a 2016 GTS with LCA, but not LKA or ACC. Looks like ACC is straightforward, but LKA requires a new steering column, so that might not be realistic.
Hey

Ya, it does not matter where you connect the cables as long as its the right CRASH CAN as the same cable goes around the vehicle.

For LKA, I thought Porsche Cayenne did not come with LKA but only LCA until the latest model(9YA)?? If not, would you mind sharing any details you have? Keen to know about it.. Unless you are taking about passive LKA where Porsche just emits a sound and you need to manually keep the car between lines??

Last edited by sami_cayenne; 12-05-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:54 AM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

You know what, I think you are 100% right and that’s why I couldn’t find any different parts to the steering column that I had read. I had been seeing some conflicting info about it, and yes, I think you are right that the 958.2 only had LDW, the button in the center console and an audible warning when you stray, no passive steering intervention. And if that is the case, we should be able to replace the center console can bus keypad with a setup that includes the LDW button and then activate it in the proper modules and it might just work.
Someone will need to try it. I have seen the different coding values for LDW via the Launch X431, it looks like the software is all there and the settings are there and active except for the main LDW installed or active and it says no. All other functions, volume, display, etc appear to be there already.

My thought process to this was coming from my 2017 Macan GTS that had LCA and LKA, but hat also had electronic assist steering, not a hydraulic pump. So that would make sense that the 958 does not offer intervention which, now that I am talking about it, I would prefer just the warning over the ping pong takeover that it sometimes did in the Macan that I didn’t like. It was strong! I had to put quite a bit of effort to stay out of lane, say someone is walking on the side of the road and I wanted to give them space and go over the lines a bit, it was strong to pull me back into the lane and I had to put quite a bit of resistance against it to stay out of lane.

Last edited by volcanogts; 12-05-2020 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sami_cayenne (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:17 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

This is pretty cool. The one thing I'd love to get is the rear sun shades. I was thinking that all I need is the door panels with those shades in there and programming when I first got the car, but some members here talked me out of it and I never thought of them again. Although I attempted heated steering, but the wheel i got was in terrible shape and I returned it.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:51 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

I am thinking to do this retrofit next year and have few questions.

Do you have the part number of this part? Because I am not able to find it on suncoastporsche

- Repair Kit (3 x Screws and plastic brackets to be used with Mount Bracket) - A$80

Also I know you mentioned you don't know the part number but is it possible to post a picture of it? I would like to have an idea about it.

- Center plate to mount the bracket - Don't know the name/part no
Old 12-05-2020, 11:35 PM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911-997
I am thinking to do this retrofit next year and have few questions.

Do you have the part number of this part? Because I am not able to find it on suncoastporsche

Also I know you mentioned you don't know the part number but is it possible to post a picture of it? I would like to have an idea about it.

- Center plate to mount the bracket - Don't know the name/part no
It's number 6 in the link below.

https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-20...control-system

For the center bracket, the picture below, and it also holds the front hood lock.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:56 PM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

You know what, I think you are 100% right and that’s why I couldn’t find any different parts to the steering column that I had read. I had been seeing some conflicting info about it, and yes, I think you are right that the 958.2 only had LDW, the button in the center console and an audible warning when you stray, no passive steering intervention. And if that is the case, we should be able to replace the center console can bus keypad with a setup that includes the LDW button and then activate it in the proper modules and it might just work.
Someone will need to try it. I have seen the different coding values for LDW via the Launch X431, it looks like the software is all there and the settings are there and active except for the main LDW installed or active and it says no. All other functions, volume, display, etc appear to be there already.

My thought process to this was coming from my 2017 Macan GTS that had LCA and LKA, but hat also had electronic assist steering, not a hydraulic pump. So that would make sense that the 958 does not offer intervention which, now that I am talking about it, I would prefer just the warning over the ping pong takeover that it sometimes did in the Macan that I didn’t like. It was strong! I had to put quite a bit of effort to stay out of lane, say someone is walking on the side of the road and I wanted to give them space and go over the lines a bit, it was strong to pull me back into the lane and I had to put quite a bit of resistance against it to stay out of lane.
For the LDW, it would be just coding and button if it uses the same radar as of LCA(Blindspot hardware, on each side of the rear bumper). If it uses some kind of camera(maybe top of the rearview mirror) then you might need the hardware as well. My previous Cayenne had it and I never liked the buzzing sound and always use to disable it so not really keen to setup anyway.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:16 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sami_cayenne
It's number 6 in the link below.

https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-20...control-system

For the center bracket, the picture below, and it also holds the front hood lock.

Thanks alot. The center bracket part does not exit on any Porsche part website. It doesn't seem this is for sale anywhere.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:31 AM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911-997
Thanks alot. The center bracket part does not exit on any Porsche part website. It doesn't seem this is for sale anywhere.
Np,
You should be able to get it from Porsche. I called them and ask for the plate, mentioning ACC and they just figured out. Just give them a call

Found it anyway.

https://www.porschepartsnow.com/oem-...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D

Last edited by sami_cayenne; 12-06-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:45 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sami_cayenne
Np,
You should be able to get it from Porsche. I called them and ask for the plate, mentioning ACC and they just figured out. Just give them a call

Found it anyway.

https://www.porschepartsnow.com/oem-...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D
wonderful! It is funny that it is located under radiator menu instead of body. That’s why I missed as I was searching in the wrong place
Old 12-06-2020, 05:06 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

You know what, I think you are 100% right and that’s why I couldn’t find any different parts to the steering column that I had read. I had been seeing some conflicting info about it, and yes, I think you are right that the 958.2 only had LDW, the button in the center console and an audible warning when you stray, no passive steering intervention
No steering intervention on my '17 GTS. But it does have the audible warning when you leave the lane, along with lights in the outside mirrors when there's other vehicles in your adjacent lane. I think that's LDW and LCA?

Control for LDW is on the center console button panel. LCA is on the driver door button panel.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit on Cayenne 958.2