Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) - BlueDEF PLATINUM ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 11:50 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Didn't I read awhile ago that the best way is to buy a def bottle from an Audi or VW dealer? Once finished, cut the top off and use it as a funnel for future cheaper def since it locks perfectly with the hole in the CD
Old 11-06-2020, 10:39 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Didn't I read awhile ago that the best way is to buy a def bottle from an Audi or VW dealer? Once finished, cut the top off and use it as a funnel for future cheaper def since it locks perfectly with the hole in the CD
this is the way
Old 11-06-2020, 07:59 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm going to stick with the pump method. Much easier than any funnel method.
The following users liked this post:
nathan1 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 07:16 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
If you want to go this route, just buy a single bottle off Amazon. Likely cheaper.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:37 AM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

I just usually buy DEF from the local Audi dealership. $7 for 10 liters/2.6 gallons.

G052910A4
Old 11-15-2020, 10:27 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

How do you know when it is full?
Old 11-15-2020, 12:25 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
How do you know when it is full?
That's the reason to buy the Audi bottle I mentioned earlier. It prevents overfilling
Old 01-05-2021, 06:12 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
This.

Get the cheap stuff. Or better yet, go to a truck stop and just pump it in. It's a pain to take the tire out in the bay, but easier than humping those 2.5 gal boxes and pouring into a funnel.
So the nozzle at a station will fit?
Old 01-06-2021, 03:12 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vwbrd
So the nozzle at a station will fit?
The one near me does.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:57 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skiahh
The one near me does.
Thanks, I found a place near me that had it and the nozzle (smaller than a fuel nozzle) just barely fit in the fill hole. This was at a fuel distributor, too, that sells bulk diesel, untaxed dyed diesel, etc and has some of the wider nozzle, high flow diesel pumps.

I just took the spare out and watched the pump until I hit the 4gal mark, then slowed down. I only put in 4.5 gal (think I read the capacity is 5.5gal?) and didn't fill completely because I didn't want it to overflow. FWIW, my cayenne was giving me the "will not be able to start the car in 600 miles" warning.

Cheaper and easier than buying the 2.5gal boxes, plus no packaging to waste.
The following users liked this post:
skiahh (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:52 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by vwbrd
Thanks, I found a place near me that had it and the nozzle (smaller than a fuel nozzle) just barely fit in the fill hole. This was at a fuel distributor, too, that sells bulk diesel, untaxed dyed diesel, etc and has some of the wider nozzle, high flow diesel pumps.

I just took the spare out and watched the pump until I hit the 4gal mark, then slowed down. I only put in 4.5 gal (think I read the capacity is 5.5gal?) and didn't fill completely because I didn't want it to overflow. FWIW, my cayenne was giving me the "will not be able to start the car in 600 miles" warning.

Cheaper and easier than buying the 2.5gal boxes, plus no packaging to waste.
Those 2.5 gallon containers come in handy if you do your own oil changes :-)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:09 AM
matttheboatman
Three Wheelin'

Received 614 Likes on 236 Posts

Heads up; don't let it get it too low or it may require a visit to the dealership to reset. $250

I had a situation on my '15 CD where I did not previously top off - only added 2.5gal after an oil change. At some point before the next oil change received a warning the after X miles, or would not be able to restart. I then added more to top off before reaching the end of the countdown. Unfortunately, I discovered that the warning light does not necessarily reset itself. The net result being a required to tow to the dealer despite having it full.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:34 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Heads up; don't let it get it too low or it may require a visit to the dealership to reset. $250

I had a situation on my '15 CD where I did not previously top off - only added 2.5gal after an oil change. At some point before the next oil change received a warning the after X miles, or would not be able to restart. I then added more to top off before reaching the end of the countdown. Unfortunately, I discovered that the warning light does not necessarily reset itself. The net result being a required to tow to the dealer despite having it full.
How low in the countdown were you? I've heard that if you get to 0, that's the case, but with a few hundred miles left sounds like a faulty sensor? Mine resets within a few seconds the next time I start the car. I know there was some kind of DEF heater issue (maybe a recall?) but not sure about sensors.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:39 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matttheboatman

Definitely sounds like something else. I've been down to 300 miles to go, I think and topped it off and the nagging went away.

Does sound like a problem with the sensor or possibly the "campaign" where they replace the DEF heater element. Wonder if your dealer charged you for "fixing" the issue while also collecting the dollars from PCNA/Porsche for completing the campaign work?
Old 02-13-2021, 11:24 PM
Bcscd
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vistador’s suggestion of a used AdBlue bottle from a VW dealer or Amazon (or Porsche/BMW dealer if you like to waste $$) is the easiest and cleanest way to go. Cut the base off making the bottle into a funnel. Make a “U” shaped piece of copper tubing to slide over the vent tube so if it gurgles a bit the DEF spits back int the funnel. Keep filling until DEF tank is full and funnel stops emptying. The funnel can be unscrewed and pulled off the fill port without spilling a drop. If there is a bunch left in the funnel, just dispense the remainder back into the jug. If the $2 a gallon savings of truck stop DEF is appealing, use your homemade funnel and be assured you won’t overflow into the spare tire well.

Quick Reply: Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) - BlueDEF PLATINUM ?