Sponsored By:

Check Trailer Brake Light error

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 03:00 PM
KSellers
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Trailer Brake Light error

I have a 2011 CTT. When I put a 7pin to 4 pin adapter into the Pollak Trailer light plug I instantly get errors. Check left trailer light, Check trailer brake light, Start/stop mode deactivated. I'm using a Hopkins adapter, and even tried purchasing a new one. Same errors so I know it's not the adapter. Any ideas on where to start
Old 10-05-2020, 03:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

I have the same problem also with LED lights wired. Also, I bought the LED adaptor plug with still the same issue.

All if the lights work except getting signal lights to flash.

Subscribed.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:17 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

Something to check, have you driven through some rain as of late? Or even this year? My turn side plug, holds water. Was having a ton of light errors I couldn't figure out. Pulled the plug from the truck, then pulled the connecter from the back and it was full of water. Dumped, cleaned, packed with some bearing grease and reconnected everything. No errors since.

Cw
Old 10-06-2020, 04:55 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

1. clean pollack connector with electric cleaner.

2. If your 7pin to 4pin connector has an LED on it, you will always have this problem. Exchange it for a regular connector that has no lights on it

3. Trailer has led lights. Change to regular if possible.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:25 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
1. clean pollack connector with electric cleaner.

2. If your 7pin to 4pin connector has an LED on it, you will always have this problem. Exchange it for a regular connector that has no lights on it

3. Trailer has led lights. Change to regular if possible.
1) yes,
2) not true. I run a lighted connector no problem.
3) not true. I run a trailer full of LEDs. No problem.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:06 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
1) yes,
2) not true. I run a lighted connector no problem.
3) not true. I run a trailer full of LEDs. No problem.
Happened to me, which is why I said 2 and 3
Old 10-06-2020, 09:55 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

My trailer has all LED and no issues. 2016 CD. I thought I read somewhere that LED lights were an issue with earlier Cayennes?
Old 09-08-2023, 05:52 AM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Bump on thread

I had OEM trailer hitch installed last week but the Pollack connector had gotten lost so a new one was ordered and installed yesterday. Tech ran a diagnostic after the install and got two errors as shown in this picture:

These errors happened before any trailer had ever been connected to the Cayenne. We decided to see what happened when I got home and hooked up the trailer.

Well, got home last night, hooked up trailer, and got the error on the dash "Check left trailer brake light".

I am in the process of swapping out all of the incandescent lighting to LED; right now there are not any incandescent lights attached; I have clipped all of the wires and capped them off (waiting for replacement LEDs). Fender lights and brake/reverse/turn signal are new LED and those are installed.

Cayenne is 2011 with May 2010 build

******UPDATE*******
I talked to one of the service advisors at the indy garage that I use - he thinks it may be as simple as the 7 pin pollack adapter being bad versus the Porsche wiring itself - I will be testing that today/tomorrow

thanks!

Last edited by patriot993; 09-08-2023 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added update
Old 09-08-2023, 09:50 AM
Kenrevo
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

From my experience those errors are from the trailer not the controller saying it has a issue. I had a 7-pin tester that had corrosion on one of the pins and got those messages on the dash and the DTC in the controller but worked fine with my trailer. I cleaned the corroded pin and didn't get errors any more. If you are sure the trailer is good, I would look a fuses.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:48 AM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kenrevo
From my experience those errors are from the trailer not the controller saying it has a issue. I had a 7-pin tester that had corrosion on one of the pins and got those messages on the dash and the DTC in the controller but worked fine with my trailer. I cleaned the corroded pin and didn't get errors any more. If you are sure the trailer is good, I would look a fuses.
I will check for corrosion but was getting the error during a code scan at the Indy shop prior to a trailer ever being connected to the Cayenne so seems like there is an issue on the truck side
Old 09-08-2023, 11:51 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd pull that Pollack connector off and rescan. It's only 4 screws. If the code goes away then it has to be the connector.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:03 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
I'd pull that Pollack connector off and rescan. It's only 4 screws. If the code goes away then it has to be the connector.
I wish I had thought of that while at the Indy - not sure my simple scanner will show error but worth a shot!
Old 09-08-2023, 03:56 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

I tested voltage coming out of the Pollack connector as well as with the connector removed (direct connect to the OEM plug) - I am getting about 1V - shouldn't this be 12V??

Getting same voltage for running lights, left stop/turn and right stop/turn. 0V for brake controller output (I haven't installed yet) and 0V for 12V pin (not sure why that is 0V)

Old 09-08-2023, 04:06 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Be careful with different trailer wiring.

On my 13' CD I plugged in a customer's trailer that was not wired correctly.

It fried the "trailer light ECU" located in the right rear trunk.

Luckily I found it had an Audi part number and I replaced it. It was still about $220 4 years ago so it's probably $350 now.

--Aaron

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
Old 09-08-2023, 04:34 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Be careful with different trailer wiring.

On my 13' CD I plugged in a customer's trailer that was not wired correctly.

It fried the "trailer light ECU" located in the right rear trunk.

Luckily I found it had an Audi part number and I replaced it. It was still about $220 4 years ago so it's probably $350 now.

--Aaron
Ditto. I hooked up a uhaul to my factory installed tow package (that I had never used). Got all kind of warning lights that went away after I unhooked the tow module. Tested the pollak connector and the one inline with it, but nothing. My indy swapped out a tow module of his personal touareg and it was fine. I ordered one off ebay and no problems since. (Granted, I haven't tried to tow anything else). See my post history and you can find it around last August 2022.

Quick Reply: Check Trailer Brake Light error