Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The brake job

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 12:46 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Torque settings do seem to be missing from alldata. Give this a look for torque settings.

https://www.renntech.org/topic/44544...comment-307926

BTW - It seems when replacing the bolts the correct torque value is 104 ft/lbs and not the original factory values as listed above.

It's been so long since I did mine I forget which I used though I'd guess it's the 104 number as I likely followed the Brake pad procedure for 2011 Cayenne thread

Last edited by Tom M; 09-24-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:13 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
Torque settings do seem to be missing from alldata. Give this a look for torque settings.

https://www.renntech.org/topic/44544...comment-307926

BTW - It seems when replacing the bolts the correct torque value is 104 ft/lbs and not the original factory values as listed above.

It's been so long since I did mine I forget which I used though I'd guess it's the 104 number as I likely followed the Brake pad procedure for 2011 Cayenne thread
Strange.... the chart has 200, but that seem a bit much. Don't feel like over torque and breaking but also under torque is bad.

Forgot about spline sockets....now ordering
Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The higher values seem to be the settings from the factory. The 2nd thread posted refers to the 104 ft-lb number that I think everyone is using.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:26 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom M
The higher values seem to be the settings from the factory. The 2nd thread posted refers to the 104 ft-lb number that I think everyone is using.
Ok cool. I'll go with this to be safe.

Wonder if anyone local to me has bearing puller/presser.. thinking of changing it out just in case.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:03 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Mine are squeaking and I've had the car since dec.31 2018. Pedal feels a bit lower and not as crisp braking as when I got it first.

Also have some small shimmy in the steering at speed. Wheels all balanced. Seems like its coming from driver front side.

My full plan is step by step.

I'm going to do all four corners rotors and pads, changing everything to new in the process. Even picked up these spring things for the calipers and bolts today at the dealer.
Test braking after this

Then bleed full system and test brakes again to see the difference.

I think maybe one rotor is warped a bit which explains the shimmy. If not that, then maybe wheel bearing. I don't want to go into bearing because I need the special tools to pull and press it.
thanks F Sane. Yeah I’ve always had brake squeal and dust issues since I got the car. I don’t know if it’s oem or not.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:09 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dc1225
thanks F Sane. Yeah I’ve always had brake squeal and dust issues since I got the car. I don’t know if it’s oem or not.
If you just have dust and that causes squeaks, maybe just use an air tool an blow it all our, but if your pads are just way dusty, maybe think of looking into new pads. I'm not sure what amount of dust mine produce and what brand is in there now. Seemed OK for the most part, just probably a bit worn now.
I wouldn't be surprised if you can keep lots of current parts like bolts, spring thing and even sensors. I just don't wan to go down that route and then wonder why something doesn't work as expected.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:12 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

If you just have dust and that causes squeaks, maybe just use an air tool an blow it all our, but if your pads are just way dusty, maybe think of looking into new pads. I'm not sure what amount of dust mine produce and what brand is in there now. Seemed OK for the most part, just probably a bit worn now.
I wouldn't be surprised if you can keep lots of current parts like bolts, spring thing and even sensors. I just don't wan to go down that route and then wonder why something doesn't work as expected.
no absolutely. With little parts like springs and bolts you replace’em as you go, I agree.

Old 09-24-2020, 04:43 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Totally get what you're saying. I'll need to source the caliper bolts at a local dealer. Assuming they should have a ton of them if this is what they do each time they change brakes.

Don't think i need anything else in that case, i got some of those caliper hangers to use for the caliper. I'll have to check what sockets used for the caliper bolts when i get into it.
My suggestion? Don't wait to find the triple-square sockets. They're not that easy to find, and I was never able to find them at any of the usual suspect hardware and auto-parts stores. Ended up buying them off of Amazon, which sucks if you already have the wheel apart. I bought this kit:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007UQLR9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007UQLR9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by LittleBitBent; 09-24-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

The altar boy at the dealership told me 3 months ago that I needed to get rear brakes done and its at 4mm. I do heavy heavy city driving which does wonderful things to my brakes and transfer case and my brakes are oddly still fine.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:03 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
My suggestion? Don't wait to find the triple-square sockets. They're not that easy to find, and I was never able to find them at any of the usual suspect hardware and auto-parts stores. Ended up buying them off of Amazon, which sucks if you already have the wheel apart. I bought this kit:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007UQLR9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007UQLR9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. I actually found the same one and ordered. Making sure I got everything before I go in there.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:53 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

So many options out there.

Are the ECS Tuning products good options? Specifically, this front kit: 2014 Porsche Cayenne 958 Diesel Sport Utility V6 3.0L Braking Service Kits Front - K6042 - Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Kit - Front (360x36) (ecstuning.com)

Note, the apparent same kit at Amazon is a few bucks less, too. Same pictures, which, I admit, make me a bit nervous since the rotor pictures are different. One looks nicely done, one - with just the 5 sets - looks like they just took a basic rotor and machined/drilled it, with the resulting risks of rotors not designed for drilling/slotting.

Am I better staying with the OEM stuff from FCP Euro (at $100 more than the ECS Kit), even if I may not have the car in a couple of years when it's time for new pads, let alone rotors (meaning the replacement warranty is moot)?

And what about places like Napa and their parts?

Is there something better I should look at?
Old 09-27-2020, 04:21 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skiahh
So many options out there.

Are the ECS Tuning products good options? Specifically, this front kit: 2014 Porsche Cayenne 958 Diesel Sport Utility V6 3.0L Braking Service Kits Front - K6042 - Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Kit - Front (360x36) (ecstuning.com)

Note, the apparent same kit at Amazon is a few bucks less, too. Same pictures, which, I admit, make me a bit nervous since the rotor pictures are different. One looks nicely done, one - with just the 5 sets - looks like they just took a basic rotor and machined/drilled it, with the resulting risks of rotors not designed for drilling/slotting.

Am I better staying with the OEM stuff from FCP Euro (at $100 more than the ECS Kit), even if I may not have the car in a couple of years when it's time for new pads, let alone rotors (meaning the replacement warranty is moot)?

And what about places like Napa and their parts?

Is there something better I should look at?
I personally don't see a reason to go anywhere else other than FCPEURO. You literally buying brakes once forever. When they wear, you buy the same new set and send the work one back for full refund.

Of course that is if you plan to keep the car for a while (in terms of miles). I think brakes last like 20-30k miles (don't quote me on this number)
The following users liked this post:
dc1225 (09-28-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:39 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

I personally don't see a reason to go anywhere else other than FCPEURO. You literally buying brakes once forever. When they wear, you buy the same new set and send the work one back for full refund.

Of course that is if you plan to keep the car for a while (in terms of miles). I think brakes last like 20-30k miles (don't quote me on this number)
Agree... but if I don't plan to have the car in 2 years, is it still worth it?
Old 09-27-2020, 04:52 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skiahh
Agree... but if I don't plan to have the car in 2 years, is it still worth it?
Maybe not if your goal is to go as cheap as possible. Maybe just as long as it stops. But at that rate, why not just get a car thats cheaper in maintenance?

I'm not about spending it all or throwing away cash for no reason, but... when it comes to brakes, tires, steering and suspension, I don't cheap out. But then again, I got issues... I have to have everything GOOD. GREAT. PERFECT.

Also don't want squeaks ever!
Old 09-27-2020, 04:59 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Which is why I'm asking. Not trying to go cheap, but if less expensive is as functional, with no squeaks or reduction in performance, why spend the extra?

And again, I won't be responsible for maintenance on this vehicle in 2 years, so is spending that extra $100 a good use of the money? Will the ECS/Amazon parts work as well?

Quick Reply: The brake job