Sponsored By:

PCM video in motion

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 02:06 AM
pngates
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PCM video in motion

Im looking to get video in motion on my 13 Cayenne Diesel PCM. Before anyone gives me the whole spiel about "iT iSn'T sAfE tO wAtCh MoViEs WhIlE yOu DrIvE", I'm asking because I do some serious road tripping and it is nice for my family/passengers. I've had it easily enabled in almost all my (new) cars, and haven't found any solution yet for the 958.1.

Has anyone successfully coded their PCM or added a module that will allow for video in motion on the PCM?

Old 09-12-2020, 01:07 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Get 'em an iPad
The following users liked this post:
Mrg02D (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:27 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Get 'em an iPad
This would be far cheaper, easier, and with much better performance.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:23 PM
pngates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
This would be far cheaper, easier, and with much better performance.
How would this be better performance....

You have to put some ghetto windshield mount to hold to ipad so the passenger and rear seats can see? and then some lagging audio through the cars bluetooth? Wouldn't having the ability to use a pre existing screen and proper surround sound audio actually be the better option?
Old 09-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by pngates

You have to put some ghetto windshield mount to hold to ipad so the passenger and rear seats can see? and then some lagging audio through the cars bluetooth? Wouldn't having the ability to use a pre existing screen and proper surround sound audio actually be the better option?
Are you serious? One is meant to show gps and option lists, the other is literally meant for multimedia...

Bluetooth connect your iPad to the car and then hold (one of your passengers) the GD thing...Driver isn’t supposed to be watching anything other than the road anyways.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:32 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

For you, yes.

For others, no. Especially if they use headsets or airpods.

Besides, how are you going to get media to the system? Stream it? With the associated lag and whatnot?
The following users liked this post:
Mrg02D (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 05:48 PM
pngates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skiahh
For you, yes.

For others, no. Especially if they use headsets or airpods.

Besides, how are you going to get media to the system? Stream it? With the associated lag and whatnot?
Okay but what if i want to LISTEN to the movie while they watch it? Airpods doesnt really solve that and the audio lag is annoying for anyone.
I found a plug and play interface, which has a port for an HDMI. So ideally it wouldn't be a stream.
Here is the interface:
Amazon Amazon

I'm sure it can be done. Just asking if anyone HAS done.

Last edited by pngates; 09-12-2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: link broken
Old 09-12-2020, 05:52 PM
pngates
Intermediate

Are you serious? One is meant to show gps and option lists, the other is literally meant for multimedia...

Bluetooth connect your iPad to the car and then hold (one of your passengers) the GD thing...Driver isn’t supposed to be watching anything other than the road anyways.
I don't use the Cayenne GPS its super outdated the phone GPS is 10x better.
Also, if you're playing the movie through your cars audio you don't need the multimedia menu.....

And not for nothing if you have to say "the GD thing...Driver isn’t supposed to be watching anything other than the road anyways." you clearly didn't read the first post.....I'm not looking for a lesson in morality ot traffic law, I'm looking to see if anyone has done this successfully.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:55 PM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Video

The board in that amazon link looks just like the CarPlay board that you can buy from AliExpress. There is a monster thread on CarPlay.

Once you have this you can use an app called “CarBridge” to mirror your iPhone/iPad screen.

no lag in the video or audio... great for listening to sports center through the espn app while parked.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

I don't use the Cayenne GPS its super outdated the phone GPS is 10x better.
Also, if you're playing the movie through your cars audio you don't need the multimedia menu.....

And not for nothing if you have to say "the GD thing...Driver isn’t supposed to be watching anything other than the road anyways." you clearly didn't read the first post.....I'm not looking for a lesson in morality ot traffic law, I'm looking to see if anyone has done this successfully.
Again, BLUETOOTH connect to your Cayenne...Everyone will be able to listen to the audio that way.

I didn’t recommend using the PCM gps, I simply stated that that is what it was designed for, it wasn’t designed to play movies on. An iPad was designed to play movies on.

Would you spend big money on modifying your Cayenne for track use or would you just get a Boxster? Similarly, would you modify your Boxster for use at Home Depot or would you use your Cayenne?

You’re trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole.

FWIW- As soon as the sun begins to shine on your PCM, you can kiss your movie goodbye.

$500 IPad with HD resolution and a screen twice as big vs who knows how much to force a low resolution screen to play movies? What’s the refresh rate of the PCM anyways? Can’t be good.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:11 PM
pngates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
The board in that amazon link looks just like the CarPlay board that you can buy from AliExpress. There is a monster thread on CarPlay.

Once you have this you can use an app called “CarBridge” to mirror your iPhone/iPad screen.

no lag in the video or audio... great for listening to sports center through the espn app while parked.
THANK YOU. Finally a helpful answer lol I;m going to do a little more research...but as long as i can run CarBridge while the car is in motion my problems will be solved. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2020, 09:13 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Keep us posted. I knew this thread would go south and I understand both sides of the coin. Still interested in how it comes out.

The car is one place where we can actually unplug. As humans we are way to plugged in.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:39 AM
qsharif
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned in one of the comments, you can add a CarPlay module to the original PCM. This will allow you to mirror your iPhone screen on to the PCM (wired).

The app “carbridge” is not an option unless you jailbreak your iPhone.

The product link is: https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTLPcXo

the coupon code is 3YO9QX23GXDD.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:43 AM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Im looking to get video in motion on my 13 Cayenne Diesel PCM. Before anyone gives me the whole spiel about "iT iSn'T sAfE tO wAtCh MoViEs WhIlE yOu DrIvE", I'm asking because I do some serious road tripping and it is nice for my family/passengers. I've had it easily enabled in almost all my (new) cars, and haven't found any solution yet for the 958.1.

Has anyone successfully coded their PCM or added a module that will allow for video in motion on the PCM?
That is so Tesla Musk. X Æ A-12

Here's a thread you might be interested in. Some guys were having issues with it so proceed with caution.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...le-screen.html
Old 09-15-2020, 02:48 AM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Again, BLUETOOTH connect to your Cayenne...Everyone will be able to listen to the audio that way.

I didn’t recommend using the PCM gps, I simply stated that that is what it was designed for, it wasn’t designed to play movies on. An iPad was designed to play movies on.

Would you spend big money on modifying your Cayenne for track use or would you just get a Boxster? Similarly, would you modify your Boxster for use at Home Depot or would you use your Cayenne?

You’re trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole.

FWIW- As soon as the sun begins to shine on your PCM, you can kiss your movie goodbye.

$500 IPad with HD resolution and a screen twice as big vs who knows how much to force a low resolution screen to play movies? What’s the refresh rate of the PCM anyways? Can’t be good.
Regarding Home Depot...
https://www.businessinsider.com/some...dLI3sc1lf6jVvw

Quick Reply: PCM video in motion