intermittent whining sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 03:19 PM
joshuajj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent whining sound

Hello,

I have 2013 CTT 137000km, and I am here for asking you that someone has same problem with me. My issue was starting like 4 months ago, it was rainy day.

When I depart from parking lot, in low speed approximately 20 - 70km/h whining from either front center or the front passenger side so badly and when it reaches certain speed suddenly gone. it seems to be harmonized to RPM or wheel speed.

Also the whining continues even my foot away from pedal and when the car deccelerate certain speed, the sound completely gone too. No lights on dash.

It seems not happen in specific gear setting, it generally happens every gear settings. When I am cruising on the highway, around 100km - 120km/h, no whining what so ever.

Went to general indy (not Porsche specialized) to check out its either wheel bearings or differential issue, he said it is not wheel bearing issue, he feels slight vibration when its idle, but he also could not find actual issues.

I have tracked down for this issue by servicing transfer case fluid with Ravenol (fluid was clear brown color no metal flakes), and found broken bolt head due to rust and replaced new oem bolt on right side of Cat bracket which sandwiched to TC bracket. no fix yet. and looking for front/rear diff serviced.

Anyone experienced these issue, and have any ideas what to be fixed for this issue?

Last edited by joshuajj; 08-15-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

If I understand your problem - it's a noise that occurs at low speed and disappears at higher speeds, it's not directly related to engine speed, it's not related to load (on-throttle/off-throttle). It happens whenever you're traveling at this low speed. Does that sound about right?

I would certainly change the differential oil, and might send a sample of the front diff's oil to a diagnostics lab to see if there is excess metal in it.

That sort of noise could be differential, driveshaft (short cardan shaft to differential from transfer case, or one of the ones out to the wheel), a wheel bearing going bad or lots of other things. Has your mechanic experienced the noise? I think finding a mechanic familiar with the Cayenne might be a step in solving the issue.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:58 PM
joshuajj
AutoX

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If I understand your problem - it's a noise that occurs at low speed and disappears at higher speeds, it's not directly related to engine speed, it's not related to load (on-throttle/off-throttle). It happens whenever you're traveling at this low speed. Does that sound about right?

I would certainly change the differential oil, and might send a sample of the front diff's oil to a diagnostics lab to see if there is excess metal in it.

That sort of noise could be differential, driveshaft (short cardan shaft to differential from transfer case, or one of the ones out to the wheel), a wheel bearing going bad or lots of other things. Has your mechanic experienced the noise? I think finding a mechanic familiar with the Cayenne might be a step in solving the issue.
Hello, thanks for your answer.
If it is fixable by DIY, I definitely would go by my own. and yes, the mechanic went to test drive for 10 mins and he literally said
"The noise is intermittent, so come in when its obvious and continuous"
I do not know who is best mechanic in my area, so I am kind of hesitated where to go.
the sound make me nervous and irritating because if its related to serious mechanical problem, It would cost big bucks.

here is noise I took video yesterday. Any guess?

Last edited by joshuajj; 08-17-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:41 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

sounds like pullies, PS pump, PDCC pump but not really like a front diff.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:48 AM
TRD_Power
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't say I had the same exact issue with my CS, but it did make a similar noise when the transfer case went bad. Sounds like you already covered the transfer case service, so I would definitely change the front and rear diff fluid, just to be safe. However, I'm with RAudi Driver on this, it sounds like it could be the PS pump, or perhaps even the alternator, as those tend to relate directly to the engine revs.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:56 AM
joshuajj
AutoX

I hope its not huge bucks to fix...
Anyway I was asking to Porsche indy in my area. He will diagnose the issue next week or so. will update
Old 08-29-2020, 07:18 PM
joshuajj
AutoX

Hello, I went to indy shop where is specialized on Porsches. He was driving around and check the fluids, even he could not find what is causing that issue.
Apparently, pulley is generating 'normal sound' which is based on his experience. it is weird because if it is from mechanical problem, the noise should persist whatever gear setting and road conditions but the noise suddenly disappear at certain speed.
and once I got out from the indy shop, Engine light come up and found coolant dripping near the front differential and rear under tray.
Code was P2004, because I only have small OBD II Reader/Eraser, could not see the description. By my research saying its related to IMRC. I erased and have not appeared again since I erased.
However, the noise still exist. I took better video, could the noise be related on intake?

Last edited by joshuajj; 08-29-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Your video should be more encompassing. Start the video with the car in park. Rev the engine, then drive the car but really drive it. Don't just cruise at idle. That needle barely lifted off 1k rpm. These turbo engines need to be revved out. Rev it up and lets see this puppy go.

The sounds I hear can beanything from a vacuum leak to a bad pulley to even a diff. Need to really drive the car though

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 09-02-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:06 AM
joshuajj
AutoX

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Your video should be more encompassing. Start the video with the car in park. Rev the engine, then drive the car butreally drive it. Don'tjust cruise at idle. That needle barely lifted off 1k rpm. These turbo engines need to be revved out. rev it up and lets see this puppy go.

The sounds I hear can beanything from a vacuum leak to a bad pulley to even a diff. Need to really drive the car though

Hello,
I took another clip. When I revving in park, the noise did not come out, but it frequently sounds when its cold.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:04 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Front diff or the power Steering pump or PDCC pump. If you live in So Cal, bring it by my home.

Now in park, turn the steering wheel and rev the car. Does it make noise then?

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 09-13-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:14 AM
joshuajj
AutoX

Front diff or the power Steering pump or PDCC pump. If you live in So Cal, bring it by my home.

No in park, turn the steerring wheel and rev the car. Does it make noise then?
First of all, appreciate your invitation, unfortunately, I am living in eastern Canada. I could not visit you until the virus is settled down.

no noise is generating in park by revving, moving the steering. The noise only come out when the vehicle is rolling. I went to dealership for finding issue but they refused to test drive due to coolant issue.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:28 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Ok so that eliminates a lot. It's in your drivetrain.

Front diff!
Old 12-06-2020, 10:30 PM
joshuajj
AutoX

Ok so that eliminates a lot. It's in your drivetrain.

Front diff!
I finally done with several issues I had. The main issue was cardan shaft center support bearing had rough spot.

My friend work at indy shop, they lifted car on hoist, put gas, found what actual issue is with stereoscope.

Stealership called $2600 CDN whole drive shaft which is why we call them "stealership". And initially parts supplier said no parts available.

However, after a day, they contacted us that Meyle makes support bearing kit for 958.1, 958.2, touareg for $350 CDN.

Kit literally had everything bearing (it was identical part number, manufacturer, and newer batch number as the bearing pulled out), clamps boots, and end caps for constant velocity joint.

no alignment or any additional job was required, spent 3 hours in shop, finally annoying noise gone. I was concerning that cardan shaft goes out of balance because I am disturbing the shaft if it did not marked correctly. But, I have not experienced vibration issue.

I changed all idler and tensioner pulleys and check the all fluid level regarding to driving (transfer case, front and rear diff) at this time but it is another story.

Only job left on my pig is rear hvac blower is not working at certain fan speed. I will figure thing out once I am satisfied for this repair lol

Last edited by joshuajj; 12-06-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:55 AM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now in park, turn the steering wheel and rev the car. Does it make noise then?
So my 958.2 TTS when reversing grinds, also when accelerating around 20-60 jerks. Whats the internet diagnostics? Where in So.Cal are you?

Cheers.
AM
Old 03-04-2023, 09:04 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Tell your wife and kids to get out, drive around the block again.

Quick Reply: intermittent whining sound