Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958.1 DIY PCM Hard Drive Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 04:52 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

I would do anything differently. I haven't had any trouble what so ever. It's a one and done project.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:49 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 286 Posts

Doug,

Again thanks for your original post.

Just did my '11 Cayenne with all hardware and Clone Genius identical to your DIY Into for $109 via Amazon. Went without a hitch.

Notes for those doing this in the future:
- I left the vents hanging by their wiring harness. The vents do not weigh enough to hurt them and they are out of the way when you place the PCM on top of a thick blanket on top of the shifter. That way you do not have to mess with the vent electrical connections or the back of the PCM electrical connections.
- After opening the top of the PCM to access the HD, the 4 torx bolts holding the drive in its frame have blue Loctite. Use a quality torx bit...no chineseium. It will take some force and you are working with a size 7 or 8 torx bit...not very big
- Those same 4 torx bolts fit just fine through the factory frame into the IDE/PADA SSD adapter.
- Clone Genius. https://www.diskgenius.com/manual/clone-disk.php After you've identified and double checked the Source drive and the Target drive, there are three choices:
1. Copy all sectors (THIS IS THE ONE YOUR WANT!!!).
2. Copy all valid sectors according to the layout of the file system
3. Copy all files:

Hit start, and in 45' minutes you are done and ready for the install.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:55 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Cool, I'm glad it worked for you. $109 isn't bad at all. I wish everyone would take advantage of this DIY. It is very cost effective compared to the alternative. Every single spinning HDD is going to fail. It's the "when" that should be concerning.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:58 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

CAVU, where my instructions unclear somewhere? Do I need to clean them up?
Old 12-09-2022, 10:22 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 286 Posts

Doug,

Your instructions were great. I had your DIY up on my big screen in my shop going step by step on the cloning. My first lesson/mistake was reading the instructions that came with the sata/ide adapters...plug this to this adapter that blah blah blah... I stopped and referenced your pics and it got simple real fast.

- My clone software was defaulting to the Copy all Files instead of Sector to Sector clone and I finally figured it out. You may want to add - check "Sector to Sector".
- I used a cheaper torx bit and knew with one twist that I needed to pull out my hardened bits. I was waiting to snap a bit head or worse. Patience and slow at first.

I have a number of tools and electronics either on back order or awaiting ship dates that I was surprised that the stuff was available. Nice thing is if there is an early fail of the adapter or SSD, I have the source and can burn a new SSD.

Last edited by CAVU; 12-09-2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:20 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

i was going to tackle this next month and i was wondering if anybody has tried to update the nav maps directly onto the hard drive while you have it hooked to your computer - can say.. a windows system read what's on the drive? - and could you replace a specific map file with a newer one?...and would the pcm recognize it?
Old 01-04-2024, 06:21 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by honerboys
i was going to tackle this next month and i was wondering if anybody has tried to update the nav maps directly onto the hard drive while you have it hooked to your computer - can say.. a windows system read what's on the drive? - and could you replace a specific map file with a newer one?...and would the pcm recognize it?
Windows cannot read the partitions of the drive as they are QNX partitions. You can only see the data on a Linux machine.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:25 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

When I updated my PCM with an SSD, I used a standalone drive cloner that handled everything...worked like a charm.

I would not try to update the maps while updating the drive.

One thing at a time, so that when the poop hits the whirling blades, you can backtrack more easily...
Old 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lml999
I would not try to update the maps while updating the drive. One thing at a time, so that when the poop hits the whirling blades, you can backtrack more easily...
yea ...i was just thinking if it was possible

Windows cannot read the partitions of the drive as they are QNX partitions. You can only see the data on a Linux machine.
would it be possible in linux? - would really like updated maps..but not for the $$$ porsche wants...and i don't want to change the head unit
Old 01-04-2024, 10:08 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

yea ...i was just thinking if it was possible

would it be possible in linux? - would really like updated maps..but not for the $$$ porsche wants...and i don't want to change the head unit
Why not just stick in a $230 CarPlay module and have better Nav?
Old 01-04-2024, 11:41 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

Why not just stick in a $230 CarPlay module and have better Nav?
​​​​​​​yea..could do that...have been looking at mr 12 volt - truthfully i'd like to find a way around porsche - these updates basically cost them nothing - why charge so much? - you can update an old garmin map for $49

Quick Reply: 958.1 DIY PCM Hard Drive Upgrade