Sponsored By:

2011 Cayenne Turbo engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:54 PM
958turbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne Turbo engine noise

I bought a used 2011 Cayenne Turbo with around 20,000 miles, everything was fine when I bought the car. Today I noticed that the engine was really noisy. No check engine, no errors.

Could it be scored cylinders even with very low mileage?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by 958turbo; 08-08-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

20k miles on a 2011 car in 2020!? I'm surprised.... Did you buy from private seller or some dealer? maybe take it back? Did you check oil? Did you check if cam bolts been replaced already? Don't kill it, good luck.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:17 PM
958turbo
Track Day

Bought it from a private seller. Where I live, people dont daily drive these kinds of vehicles, hence the low mileage. Checked the cam bolts and they are not yet replaced. Just checked the bolts yeaterday and was already planning on having it replaced then this happened. Could it be related to the bolts?

Just tried to check to oil level and just learned that there is no dipstick. Checked using the gauge but it says display only after a short time/distance. Although I never got a warning of low oil while I drove it a few days ago. I guess I’ll have to start it up and drive it for a few minutes for the gauge to show the oil level, is that ok? I’m worried about causing more damage if I start the engine.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 PM
dmppdx
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't believe that scored cylinders really make any noise. I always associated scoring with consuming oil being the primary sympton. I'm not sure what that would be though. Its possible its a cam bolt, or something similar, since from the sound it appears like it would be on the top end or valve related. It could be something as simple as belt tensioner, but its hard to tell. I would suggest having it towed to a mechanic
Old 08-01-2020, 02:30 AM
TV911
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 958turbo
Bought it from a private seller. Where I live, people dont daily drive these kinds of vehicles, hence the low mileage. Checked the cam bolts and they are not yet replaced. Just checked the bolts yeaterday and was already planning on having it replaced then this happened. Could it be related to the bolts?

Just tried to check to oil level and just learned that there is no dipstick. Checked using the gauge but it says display only after a short time/distance. Although I never got a warning of low oil while I drove it a few days ago. I guess I’ll have to start it up and drive it for a few minutes for the gauge to show the oil level, is that ok? I’m worried about causing more damage if I start the engine.
Yes, it could be related to the cam bolt issue. Pray that it isn't. Definitely get it checked out as soon as possible. Don't run the engine until it's checked out, as if a cam adjuster bolt head broke off, the damage will get worse quickly. Good luck! If it is the broken cam adjuster bolt issue, hopefully Porsche will cover the repair.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:26 AM
958turbo
Track Day

I stupidly started the engine to move the car to a better spot for easy access to diagnose and replace the cam bolts, now the engine died and threw lots of faults.

If it is, what are my next steps? From what I've gathered:
- Try to recover all bolt pieces
- Check head for damage
- leak down test

Last edited by 958turbo; 08-08-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by 958turbo
I stupidly started the engine to move the car to a better spot for easy access to diagnose and replace the cam bolts, now the engine died and threw lots of faults.

Are the faults below due to the camshaft bolts? We don't have the recall here in our country.

If it is, what are my next steps? From what I've gathered:
- Try to recover all bolt pieces
- Check head for damage
- leak down test
All of the cam timing errors to me indicate the variocam bolts on one side have failed (probably bank 2, the port-side one). If you have a Porsche agency where you are (it is sometimes helpful for people to have some clue where you're located - they may have local knowledge that can be helpful) I'd get it flatbedded to them and beg for assistance from Porsche AG. It's not as if this would be a surprise to Porsche.

Other than that - I don't know how skilled mechanically you are - but Porsche's rule is - if they can't retrieve ALL the bits of broken bolts - the engine gets replaced. Dunno how possible that is wherever you're located. If the bolt bits are found I think you're still in for a rebuild of the head on that side, which typically requires a number of special timing tools to accomplish - and possibly engine removal from the vehicle. You very likely have several bent valves.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:49 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

California has a 30 day warranty on all used cars. Maybe your state does also.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:38 PM
958turbo
Track Day

Will have the car towed sometime today to the service center.

Last edited by 958turbo; 08-08-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:05 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Geez..... I was hoping you didn't go down this road. Sorry to hear

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Turbo engine noise