Sponsored By:

Jinxed (me and/or the car)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 06:49 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts
Default Jinxed (me and/or the car)

About 3 weeks ago, I bought a pristine 2014 turbo with 51k miles. It was about as good as a 51k mile car gets and with a sticker over $140k. Virtually from day 1, I have defiled it:

- driving home from the purchase, the driver's windshield wiper flew off on the highway during heavy rain - Porsche paid for this but it was a sign.
- within a week, and only having had parked it in two times (one at a grocery store way out in the lot and another at a restaurant where we ate outside and it was within view), the back tailgate gets keyed/scratched, dented, and a taillight gets broke (the tinted taillights are $800) - body shop bill was just $500
- even before I get it to the body shop, I notice some grit got between the rear wiper and the glass, etching it - I suspect this will be well over $1k to replace
- after picking it up from the body shop, the guy re-used the emblems and did a ****ty job re-taping them (and the turbo is slanted)... so have to order new emblems, which is a cool $500, and have Porsche do it so it is right.
- after getting home from the body shop today, I notice a chunk out of one of the tire's sidewall - not sure it is safe to drive with that chunk missing so likely need a new tire. So looking at around $500 for that.
- oh, and within the first week, I experience that moron episode of turning on the auto start-stop feature, and went through most of that day thinking I had a stalling problem!

This is quite the body of work in just 3 weeks. At this point, I am afraid to look at the car let alone drive it.

My wife keeps reminding of that Seinfeld episode.... "Serenity now"!
Old 06-19-2020, 08:06 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

That's quite a list of issues - but sounds like you're making it through with good spirits. Your luck is bound to change.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kigiin
About 3 weeks ago, I bought a pristine 2014 turbo with 51k miles. It was about as good as a 51k mile car gets and with a sticker over $140k. Virtually from day 1, I have defiled it:

- driving home from the purchase, the driver's windshield wiper flew off on the highway during heavy rain - Porsche paid for this but it was a sign.
- within a week, and only having had parked it in two times (one at a grocery store way out in the lot and another at a restaurant where we ate outside and it was within view), the back tailgate gets keyed/scratched, dented, and a taillight gets broke (the tinted taillights are $800) - body shop bill was just $500
- even before I get it to the body shop, I notice some grit got between the rear wiper and the glass, etching it - I suspect this will be well over $1k to replace
- after picking it up from the body shop, the guy re-used the emblems and did a ****ty job re-taping them (and the turbo is slanted)... so have to order new emblems, which is a cool $500, and have Porsche do it so it is right.
- after getting home from the body shop today, I notice a chunk out of one of the tire's sidewall - not sure it is safe to drive with that chunk missing so likely need a new tire. So looking at around $500 for that.
- oh, and within the first week, I experience that moron episode of turning on the auto start-stop feature, and went through most of that day thinking I had a stalling problem!

This is quite the body of work in just 3 weeks. At this point, I am afraid to look at the car let alone drive it.

My wife keeps reminding of that Seinfeld episode.... "Serenity now"!

You have my sympathy. Earlier this year I purchased a certified Macan for our daughter with the plan of delivering it to her when she escaped from San Jose and returned to Austin. Local dealer said getting it registered in Texas wouldn't be a problem, the Texas is border is only 20 miles west. They said just drive to the first town over the border, get the inspection done, return and they would send in the paper work.

I got the inspection and the dealer sent the paper work in. Two weeks the dealer called and said the inspection would have to be done at a station approved to do emissions tests which aren't required in north Texas. I had to drive to Houston to get the inspection. On the way home stopped for lunch and some jerk backed into it in a parking lot. Damage was only to tailgate so it was drivable. Headed home and came as near to having a major collision as anytime in my life when a different jerk ran the stop sign coming off a side road to a major highway. Thank goodness for Porsche brakes, it was a very close call. Got home and had a flat tire. I had picked up a nail somewhere along the way. I decided the car was cursed.

Delivered it to her a couple of weeks ago. She and her husband love it and haven't had any problems.
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (06-23-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 09:26 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Look at it this way - you are getting it all out of the way at once. I bought a BMW 750 and on my very first day of driving it caught a rock that cracked the windshield, then got pulled over the next day for speeding, then the entire camera system went out on day 3. I bet you are free and clear of any problems for the next several years now.
skiahh (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Earlier this year I purchased a certified Macan for our daughter
Want to adopt a son?
Leadfoot_mf (06-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Jinxed (me and/or the car)