Fluid Changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 02:07 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
From experience I can tell you that changing the transmission fluid on the Cayenne's is not worth the effort as it can cause difficult almost impossible to purge air pockets which immediately will cause shifting problems .... My friend had to change the fluid 4 times on his 955 before the trapped air purged . That's why some dealerships recommend against it unless truly necessary .... The choice is yous ..
I am curious, from your experience, how many times have you had this occur? That's quite a bold statement to make from 1 data point.

In any event, I've done this procedure myself 6 or 7 times on both 958 and 957 Cayennes, and never had the issues you state. Additionally, this air pocket problem you describe has never been mentioned before on this forum, nor the workshop manual.
The following 2 users liked this post by garrett376:
deilenberger (04-06-2020), Leadfoot_mf (04-07-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
From experience I can tell you that changing the transmission fluid on the Cayenne's is not worth the effort as it can cause difficult almost impossible to purge air pockets which immediately will cause shifting problems .... My friend had to change the fluid 4 times on his 955 before the trapped air purged . That's why some dealerships recommend against it unless truly necessary .... The choice is yous ..
Anybody can screw something up, so I guess if you do something wrong, its possible to cause issues. That said, the drain and refill is very simple and its almost impossible to screw up. Furthermore, as long as you pump in at least 4L before you start the car, the transmission won't suck in any air.

Finally, the 955 and the 958 have different transmissions.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:11 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the gasket could likely be reused, its sturdy as hell. The filter is literally just some fiber mat in a plastic case, so not much too it. The meyle parts looked good to me.
I always wondered if it's even worth changing in the first place
Old 04-03-2020, 05:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Debatable. I had enough clutch material on the filters that I'm glad I changed it after 60kish miles, but I didn't see any reason why my original filter could not have lasted for much longer. I guess for $60 for the kit and a few minutes work, why not.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudar
Bought tranny kit on ebay, couldn't find stores that sell them. Figured I'd go with Meyle as you suggested, I didnt read anything good about Vaico parts (they sell kits as well)
So I am 99% sure that I was scammed on ebay buying this. Company sends out fake tracking numbers to make it harder to file for fraud. Company name is qe parts out of Miami. Going to try to get my money back now. I read if you request return and also send them tracking number then they might be forced to refund. Otherwise will file a claim with my credit card

Edit: got refund. Company is a scam

Last edited by Sudar; 04-16-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Fluid Changes