Sponsored By:

2017 PCM Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 10:13 AM
ryanward
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 PCM Upgrade

Hello, I recently traded in my 2012 S with 130k miles for a 2017 S with 28k miles. The 2012 had PASM and the 2017 does not but has the 21" rims. Very different ride on the bigger tires but not nearly as good as the 2012 so I am still a bit disappointed in that. However, that is not my question for today! I've looked through the forum here and via several internet searches and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Due to circumstances, I was a bit rushed on the purchase and overlooked the PCM, I thought I was buying a model with CarPlay and it does not have it. It also does not have the voice activation on the turn signal stick or the sim card slot and no Porsche Connect either. I've seen replacements for the 2016 and older systems that are either do-it-yourself or take to a shop but not the newer 2017+ models. The dealer can upgrade to the Carplay model but they gave me a quote of almost $3,000.

Are there any other options and I just have not come across them?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:13 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanward
Hello, I recently traded in my 2012 S with 130k miles for a 2017 S with 28k miles. The 2012 had PASM and the 2017 does not but has the 21" rims. Very different ride on the bigger tires but not nearly as good as the 2012 so I am still a bit disappointed in that. However, that is not my question for today! I've looked through the forum here and via several internet searches and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Due to circumstances, I was a bit rushed on the purchase and overlooked the PCM, I thought I was buying a model with CarPlay and it does not have it. It also does not have the voice activation on the turn signal stick or the sim card slot and no Porsche Connect either. I've seen replacements for the 2016 and older systems that are either do-it-yourself or take to a shop but not the newer 2017+ models. The dealer can upgrade to the Carplay model but they gave me a quote of almost $3,000.

Are there any other options and I just have not come across them?

Thanks!
yes, there is a long forum discussion & DYIs about adding Apple Car Play in another post

what is interesting and notable about your experience is that a dealer has offered to replace your PCM, adding Apple CarPlay for under $3k?
that might seem like a lot but that "might" not even be an option to years prior to 2017? (maybe because it was not officially offered as an option by Porsche until 2017?

go read the other long posts about adding Apple Car Play... if that aint for you, then your only other option is to take the dealer up on their offer

Old 02-02-2020, 03:21 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
yes, there is a long forum discussion & DYIs about adding Apple Car Play in another post

what is interesting and notable about your experience is that a dealer has offered to replace your PCM, adding Apple CarPlay for under $3k?
that might seem like a lot but that "might" not even be an option to years prior to 2017? (maybe because it was not officially offered as an option by Porsche until 2017?

go read the other long posts about adding Apple Car Play... if that aint for you, then your only other option is to take the dealer up on their offer
I bet that the dealership is just doing a retrofit of the ApplePlay like others have done along with Porsche Connect which can be added on select 2017’s. Personally I would ask more questions as it is very complex and like others have experienced it’s not really easy to do. Do some homework. Enjoy and congrats!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:41 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JPJRJR70
I bet that the dealership is just doing a retrofit of the ApplePlay like others have done along with Porsche Connect which can be added on select 2017’s. Personally I would ask more questions as it is very complex and like others have experienced it’s not really easy to do. Do some homework. Enjoy and congrats!
For 3K?

I bet they're just replacing the head unit. Labor is minimal to do that. Plug and play, basically.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:56 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
For 3K?

I bet they're just replacing the head unit. Labor is minimal to do that. Plug and play, basically.
for $3 K would a dealership offer this PCM w/Apple CarPlay with Porsche Connect to a 958.x model prior to 2017? (i.e. 2012-2016)
why do i ask? good to know options as one poster stated he bricked his PCM doing the Apple CarPlay mod

I was thinking my worst case replacement would be $4K (& still without Apple Car Play)
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PCM958X.html
does less then $3k dealership "installed" but with Apple Car Play make a difference? well... maybe
if the dealership does it, assuming the PCM comes with a warranty (3 month's? 1 year? other?)
& updated 2020? Navigation Maps in the PCM navi? (for what that's worth) I would assume?..
game changing? meh... not really because $3k USD is still crazy but notable when considering all the PIA the DYI install is & brick risk

sidenote
Porsche online services is only $200 USD + install labor
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PCM958X.html

Old 02-02-2020, 07:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Dunno.

I'm just guessing, really. Maybe the 17 and up head is more cost efficient than the 3.1 in the ealier models?

Quick Reply: 2017 PCM Upgrade