Sponsored By:

Four Year (40,000 mile) Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 09:19 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Four Year (40,000 mile) Service

I took my CD in for an oil change yesterday. I did not go to my dealer, but rather a dealer in a larger city that should be two hours and fifteen minutes away. But, traffic makes it three. They changed the oil....their price is $360 ($320 after PCA discount) compared to $440 here. The service advisor told me my vehicle is ready for its four year service, even though it only has 31,000 miles. He did say it could wait until my next oil change. He quoted me $1,300+ (without the oil change, since it was done). Is that what a four year/40,000 mile service should cost? What all does that service include?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

The service schedules are miles OR time. The manual will show them. Ask the service advisor what it includes - some dealerships tend to be "creative" and load in extra "checks" and other items that the factory does not say is needed.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:42 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

The 40k service on the tenatively soon to be my 2016 eHybrid was $1257.73 and performed as the CPO process. Couldn't cut and paste that section so I attached the whole invoice they provided. Hope this answers yuor question.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2016 E-Hybrid Service.pdf (1.09 MB, 186 views)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:00 AM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
The 40k service on the tenatively soon to be my 2016 eHybrid was $1257.73 and performed as the CPO process. Couldn't cut and paste that section so I attached the whole invoice they provided. Hope this answers yuor question.
Doesn't answer the question. OP has a diesel. Hybrid has different requirements.

Attached are the maintenance and intermediate maintenance schedules. A 40k service will be covered in the maintenance checklist as they are done every 40k miles. Intermediate maintenance covers every 20k miles. Oil changes are every 5k miles.
Attached Images
Cayenne-2015-2018-m.pdf (61.1 KB, 221 views)
Cayenne-2015-2018-i.pdf (63.0 KB, 177 views)
The following users liked this post:
dollarlongnecks (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed for the first time a recommendation for change of TC fluid.

Mike
Old 12-20-2019, 01:54 PM
bukit
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

The two dealerships I spoke to quoted ~$1200 for the 40K service. Both had additional items that are not called for in the service manual (i.e. fuel injector cleaner). I worked with the SA to do only what the service manual called for and paid $700. It was difficult explaining to him that there were things being offered that I did not want completed. Additionally, I replaced the cabin air filter myself.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:54 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

I just had the oil change done (that's when I was told I'm due for the 4 year 40). I bought a fuel and air filter online. I'm thinking of having the good local indy shop put those in and then getting the rest done by the local dealer. Does that make sense?
Old 12-20-2019, 05:41 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Fuel and air filter are pretty easy to do yourself, and there are DIY threads here for both to help with all the steps, etc... And if you ever want to do any of your own service, these are just about as easy as it gets, so it's a good learning opportunity.

But if you're not into the DIY, I don't see a problem having part of it done elsewhere - but personally I'd ask the dealership to use the filters you provide, as they should be able to compromise, especially if you are willing to take it elsewhere for part of the service.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:46 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Default Filters

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
Fuel and air filter are pretty easy to do yourself, and there are DIY threads here for both to help with all the steps, etc... And if you ever want to do any of your own service, these are just about as easy as it gets, so it's a good learning opportunity.

But if you're not into the DIY, I don't see a problem having part of it done elsewhere - but personally I'd ask the dealership to use the filters you provide, as they should be able to compromise, especially if you are willing to take it elsewhere for part of the service.
You make a good point. It would be easier to do that, and I would rather have it all on one invoice. The filters I purchased do not say "Porsche," but they are OEM. The part numbers match, and these manufacturers make the filters for Porsche. I would not be surprised if my dealer said 'No." I am not very mechanical, so my DIY skills are very limited. My dad was not mechanical, so I did not grow up exposed to doing these type of things. I wish I had, because I believe I would enjoy it, and the cost of ownership would be drastically lower.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:50 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

We have had Audis or Porsches for the last 6-8 years or so and taken them to a mechanic that specializes in German cars (more Porsche than Audi). They are 1/3 to 1/2 the dealer for the exact same services. They also let me ship them parts/fluids that I buy online for the best price I can find, then they do the service, and that can cut it down even further. I dunno I just refuse to pay dealer prices. Also the dealership in this city does not have a great reputation.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:26 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Call it P tax or whatever. I can't see the logic in paying that much for a service. If I was driving a Ferrari, I'd understand, but this is an Audi engined Porsche SUV. My Range Rover services weren't this expensive, my wife's prior car, an Audi A8 wasn't this expensive either. I will either have the indy shop do the while service (they are good and very experienced). Or, I will have them do the air and fuel filter, and then get the dealer to do the remainder of the actual required items. The oil just got changed, so that is checked off of the list.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Did my own 4 year/40k service this fall on a diesel cayenne. There really isn’t much to the diesel service.
oil, oil filter, air intake filter, cabin filter, TC fluid change, fuel filter. Check all drain spots around car.
took 3 hrs total maybe. Maybe forgetting something but really isn’t bad and definitely not worth paying that much for.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:09 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayaknfly
Did my own 4 year/40k service this fall on a diesel cayenne. There really isn’t much to the diesel service.
oil, oil filter, air intake filter, cabin filter, TC fluid change, fuel filter. Check all drain spots around car.
took 3 hrs total maybe. Maybe forgetting something but really isn’t bad and definitely not worth paying that much for.
Probably a little too early to do the TC. I'm actually surprised it's listed at such a late mileage interval and Porsche doesn't claim it's lifetime fluid unlike Audi/VW. Diesel doesn't seem to suffer the same TC issues as other models.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:45 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Probably a little too early to do the TC. I'm actually surprised it's listed at such a late mileage interval and Porsche doesn't claim it's lifetime fluid unlike Audi/VW. Diesel doesn't seem to suffer the same TC issues as other models.
I just changed the TC fluid in my CD, and it was SUPER dark - especially compared to either of the differentials, which were surprisingly light - so I will definitely be changing it more often, and 40K might be about right... Considering how easy it is, and how little fluid it takes for a change, I'm going to add it to my maintenance list moving forward.

The 160K change listed in the service schedule seems way out of line with what people are seeing real-world, though the oil in my diffs probably were in line for this range.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:06 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Is the 4 year 40 (or the other service intervals) substantially varied between the different varieties of the Cayenne? Is there a susbstantial difference between the CD, base, S, Turbo, etc/?

Quick Reply: Four Year (40,000 mile) Service