Sponsored By:

Four Year (40,000 mile) Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Not much difference between the models.
main ones being spark plugs and diesel fuel filter.
spark plugs is the biggest cost of getting it done from a dealer from what I’ve seen. Great thing about diesel is no spark plugs! The turbo models have 2 air filters if I remember right and they take a bit of work getting to(or was that the panamara) one of those cars requires lots of stuff removed to access them.

The diesel fuel filter is super easy to change.
As for the TC fluid I just did it preventatively. Why not. Cheap and easy. I’ll end up doing the transmission fluid early as well.
One thing I forgot to mention is brake fluid. Should be done every 2 years.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:18 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Probably a little too early to do the TC. I'm actually surprised it's listed at such a late mileage interval and Porsche doesn't claim it's lifetime fluid unlike Audi/VW. Diesel doesn't seem to suffer the same TC issues as other models.
There have been plenty of TC failures before 40,000 miles. If the suspected failure mode is correct of moisture through the vent tube degrading the fluid, regular TC fluid changes probably would have saved thousands of Cayennes.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:11 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
There have been plenty of TC failures before 40,000 miles. If the suspected failure mode is correct of moisture through the vent tube degrading the fluid, regular TC fluid changes probably would have saved thousands of Cayennes.
The plenty have been non diesel Cayennes. Very few reports of the diesel TC failing as opposed to the gasser variants.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:18 PM
jpru2001
Pro

The plenty have been non diesel Cayennes. Very few reports of the diesel TC failing as opposed to the gasser variants.

ahhh gotcha thanks. have not paid attention to the diesels and did not know it was that different. different TC or something?
Old 12-23-2019, 04:36 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by jpru2001
ahhh gotcha thanks. have not paid attention to the diesels and did not know it was that different. different TC or something?
Not sure. May have something to do with torque split from the factory from what I've read.

And on another note...not only is there a post on here for transfer case fluids, but one I pahruzed over on Renntech. Definitely going to change it out on my 60k service, to hell with 160k!

https://www.renntech.org/topic/50951-alternative-transfer-case-fluid/
Old 12-23-2019, 05:12 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Not sure. May have something to do with torque split from the factory from what I've read.

And on another note...not only is there a post on here for transfer case fluids, but one I pahruzed over on Renntech. Definitely going to change it out on my 60k service, to hell with 160k!

https://www.renntech.org/topic/50951-alternative-transfer-case-fluid/

We have a 16 GTS gas guzzler and one of the first things we did was change the TC fluid. Did not come out as black/brown as others but it was discolored. Car came from a dry climate so maybe was not driven in much rain.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:11 PM
Trueblue
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark7000
The service schedules are miles OR time. The manual will show them. Ask the service advisor what it includes - some dealerships tend to be "creative" and load in extra "checks" and other items that the factory does not say is needed.
I recently paid ~$1300 for 20,000 mi service on 2016 CD. Foolish on my part. This did not include ad Blue or the cabin filter. It did include changing wiper blades($70) and several other not needed items that dealer SA said Porsche recommended. At these prices combined with $400 oil changes every 5000 miles tough to justify owning a CD.
I’ve learned my lesson to be very specific about services to be performed rather the generic “20,000 mile service.” The SA justification was they make an assumption that the CD was used at the extremes including dusty off road and towing and thus required all the service. In my case the car had sat in the garage for prior 4 months and has no tow hitch. Of course none of this was discussed in advance. My fault.
Let it be a lesson to all: If you are using the dealer for your service be very specific.

For me the open question is what is the minimum required service to maintain the warranties on the vehicle. The manual says oil changes at 10,000. Brake flush 2 yrs. fuel filter? Air filter? These all seem to be at variance with “creative” dealer recommendations. I can’t get a straight answer from two dealer service departments I’ve talked with. My CD was put in service new May of 2018. It’s full new car warranty runs to 2024. All I want to be assured I’m doing is minimum level of service to protect the warranty. Anything else should be at my discretion not a “creative” dealer’s. Does anyone know what minimum required service for warranty purposes is?
Old 12-28-2019, 03:45 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by Trueblue
I recently paid ~$1300 for 20,000 mi service on 2016 CD. Foolish on my part. This did not include ad Blue or the cabin filter. It did include changing wiper blades($70) and several other not needed items that dealer SA said Porsche recommended. At these prices combined with $400 oil changes every 5000 miles tough to justify owning a CD.
I’ve learned my lesson to be very specific about services to be performed rather the generic “20,000 mile service.” The SA justification was they make an assumption that the CD was used at the extremes including dusty off road and towing and thus required all the service. In my case the car had sat in the garage for prior 4 months and has no tow hitch. Of course none of this was discussed in advance. My fault.
Let it be a lesson to all: If you are using the dealer for your service be very specific.

For me the open question is what is the minimum required service to maintain the warranties on the vehicle. The manual says oil changes at 10,000. Brake flush 2 yrs. fuel filter? Air filter? These all seem to be at variance with “creative” dealer recommendations. I can’t get a straight answer from two dealer service departments I’ve talked with. My CD was put in service new May of 2018. It’s full new car warranty runs to 2024. All I want to be assured I’m doing is minimum level of service to protect the warranty. Anything else should be at my discretion not a “creative” dealer’s. Does anyone know what minimum required service for warranty purposes is?
Download the service interval docs I posted here in #4. I don't see how the dealer is going to deny warranty services if you're following their maintenance intervals just because they're not doing it. What a load of ****e for them to add services that aren't needed or even deleted from servicing intervals. I do pretty much everything in my garage without the dealer's exorbitant price for service or inflated part prices.

Diesel oil changes are at 5k, not 10k; however, I don't see why they're this short of an interval. My Touareg TDI had 10k intervals and it's the same friggin' engine...but to appease the Porsche gods, I do change every 5k.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

The Porsche maintenance prices are what they are because they can get away with it. It does take the fun out of it. I should have learned to turn wrenches when I was young. I don't know why the 5,000 mile oil change intervals. The Audi and VW diesel are same engine, and they are 10,000 mile intervals.

Quick Reply: Four Year (40,000 mile) Service