Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Apple Play - iPhone Maps -- Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Apple Play - iPhone Maps -- Help needed!

Hello everyone!
I really need some help from you Electronic Techies please; I know nothing about this stuff!

Wife's car is a 2017 Cayenne GTS, 10K miles, PCar dealer serviced so it should have the "latest" updates(?)
She always plugs in her iPhone into the car, and uses Apple play. I do not know her iPhone model but that it is ~1yr. old and it is on the most recent IOS.

Everything on Apple Play has always worked, except recently:
  • When running maps on her iPhone for Navigation purposes; the PCM mirrors her phone OK and she gets the iPhone map screen on her PCM screen, BUT, the "triangle" that shows her position is way way off!!
  • So basically if she is going down a main highway, the "triangle" on her PCM screen is way off by 1/2 mile, and then her iPhone gets confused as far as direction and cannot do navigation.
  • If she disconnects the iPhone from the car, everything works great on the iPhone. (But of course she loses Apple Play and connectivity).
I hope that my explanation makes sense. And I would imagine that this problem cannot be unique to her.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:16 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

That's weird. It would seem likely that issue is more to do with the phone than vehicle. I'd check her location settings in iOS. I know sometimes if I've had my location settings off on my iphone when I first open a web browser it thinks I'm in a completely different location than I actually am. I'm talking in a different state over 1000 miles away off. I've also seen random settings change after updating iOS and had to go back and fix them. With iOS having the ability to install updates on it's own she may not even know it has updated.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:03 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

Try using Waze as a direction app and see if it happens with that
Old 12-16-2019, 09:15 PM
chrisdavis18
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into a similar issue, but it persisted even when disconnected from CarPlay. With the latest version of iOS and and PCM software, CarPlay doesn't have to mirror your phone, for example, you can have Apple Music up on your phone, and have Apple Maps on the PCM. I'd suggest trying to narrow down the exactly when and where things are going wrong, and when it happens, put maps on your phone and the PCM and see if they're saying the same thing. Also, as someone else suggested, try using Waze or another GPS app, and see if that makes a difference. Apple told me there was no way to tell why my GPS was acting up, and they suggested a complete restore of the phone. (Be careful, they told me I could have downloaded an app that was causing the issue, so restoring it from a backup could still cause the issue, so basically they had no clue what was going on)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:00 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 276 Posts

^I appreciate these posts and ideas... I will try everything when I get home this weekend and repot back.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:32 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you on the latest release of the software for the phone. A recent update specifically addresses some positioning issues.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:30 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

what would i do? (in order)
1) check to make sure you are on the latest iOS for your iPhone and current PCM version, restart iphone and test
2) test when your iPhone is on WiFi only (not cellular data, turn off cellular data during this test), do you still have the issue? If not, it might be only cellular data related.
3) power cycle iPhone (not just restart but physically power it off off / go dark), test again
4) check location settings, make sure you do not a strange privacy location services setting causing an issue on the iPhone, if you make a change consider power cycling again and test again
5) update carrier settings (call your cellular provider, they should be able to remotely do this) The GPS setting might be off with your carrier, test again
6) if all the above does not work, I would search this website forums
https://www.howardforums.com
and pretty sure they can help you with YOUR local area cellular towers to see if any have some issues. They are under repair, building a new one, etc. Calling your cellular carrier customer service reps might not have this knowledge (oddly) but these guys at howard forums really keep track of this type of stuff for some areas

step #6 might be a little extreme but I thought I would throw it out there if all else fails

Old 01-16-2024, 04:31 AM
Priscilla021
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to work properly on your iPhone, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try:-
1. Check Internet Connection:-
-Ensure that your iPhone has a stable and active internet connection, either through Wi-Fi or cellular data. Open a web browser to confirm internet connectivity.
2. Location Services:-
-Make sure that Location Services are enabled for Apple Maps. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, and ensure it is turned on.
3. Background App Refresh:-
-Open Settings, go to General > Background App Refresh.
-Make sure Background App Refresh is enabled for Apple Maps.
4. Close and Reopen Maps:-
-Double-press the home button (for iPhones with a home button) or swipe up from the bottom of the screen (for iPhones without a home button) to open the app switcher.
-Find the Maps app and swipe it up or off the screen to close it.
-Open the Maps app again and check if the issue persists.
5. Restart Your iPhone:-
-Restart your iPhone by turning it off and then back on. This can often resolve temporary glitches.
6. Update iOS:-
-Ensure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for and install any available updates.
7. Reset Network Settings:-
-Go to Settings > General > Reset.
-Choose "Reset Network Settings."
-Note that this will reset Wi-Fi passwords and other network-related settings.
8. Clear Maps Cache:-
-Open Settings, go to Privacy > Location Services > System Services.
-Toggle off "Frequent Locations" and restart your iPhone.
-After the restart, toggle "Frequent Locations" back on.
9. Check Date and Time Settings:-
-Go to Settings > General > Date & Time.
-Make sure the date and time are set correctly, and consider enabling "Set Automatically."
10. Sign Out and Sign In to iCloud:-
-Go to Settings > [your name] at the top > Sign Out.
-Sign back in with your Apple ID.
11. Reset All Settings:-
-If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
12. Contact Apple Support:-
-If the issue persists, it might be a good idea to contact Apple Support for further assistance.

Keep in mind that these steps are general troubleshooting suggestions, and the specific solution may vary based on the nature of the problem. If none of the above steps resolves the issue, it's advisable to seek assistance from Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further diagnostics.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:25 AM
jl-c
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just use Google maps on my iPhone. Never had an issue.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:37 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It's kinda silly, but when using CarPlay, the phone doesn't use the car's GPS that's mounted on the roof, it uses its own GPS in the phone. If you have the phone in the center armrest, or even if you have metallic tint on the windows, it's basically not going to be able to get a reasonable GPS fix. Before doing any other kind of debugging, open your sunroof, put the phone up on the roof, and see if it gets a proper fix. If it does, your problem is GPS signal strength. I think that the PCM doesn't deliver the GPS location to the phone, so it has to fallback to its internal sensor. It's definitely like that in my 2017 car.

Quick Reply: Apple Play - iPhone Maps -- Help needed!