Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Cayenne with 88K miles @$22k - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 10:55 PM
J M
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Cayenne with 88K miles @$22k - worth it?

hi,

i'm contemplating buying a 2014 Cayenne with 88K miles on it..

it's a 1-owner car, no accidents, with consistent service records - all at a single porsche dealership close to where i live (different one from the used car dealership that's selling it).. per the carfax reports.. not sure if i called up the dealership that maintained the car through the years, if they cn share any details about the car's condition..

is $22K a decent price for it?

i might be getting it inspected at some local porsche mechanic, but what are the common issues that i should be looking out for, or i should be asking the seller about? (ex: when was the cardan shaft? replaced last, has the water pump been replaced recently?, etc.)

this will be my first porsche (trading up from a camry ).. so have noo clue about the common maintenance issues, etc.. beyond knowing that my yearly maintenance might average $1500/yr beyond the expensive il changes, higher fuel prices, etc.

thanks so much in anticipation of any pointers/suggestions you experts cn provide..
Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

check out the thread sticky about buying used. the transfer case is the big ticket item. great threads above with all the info in the stickies.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:07 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by J M
hi,

i'm contemplating buying a 2014 Cayenne with 88K miles on it..

it's a 1-owner car, no accidents, with consistent service records - all at a single porsche dealership close to where i live (different one from the used car dealership that's selling it).. per the carfax reports.. not sure if i called up the dealership that maintained the car through the years, if they cn share any details about the car's condition..

is $22K a decent price for it?

i might be getting it inspected at some local porsche mechanic, but what are the common issues that i should be looking out for, or i should be asking the seller about? (ex: when was the cardan shaft? replaced last, has the water pump been replaced recently?, etc.)

this will be my first porsche (trading up from a camry ).. so have noo clue about the common maintenance issues, etc.. beyond knowing that my yearly maintenance might average $1500/yr beyond the expensive il changes, higher fuel prices, etc.

thanks so much in anticipation of any pointers/suggestions you experts cn provide..

Definitely go through all the stickies in this forum for Cayenne.

What's the sub model? Base, Diesel, S? I doubt its GTS, Turbo or Turbo S for that price. Generally that's decent price if its all there in terms of non-issues with that mileage - my opinion of course. I got my 2011 S (V8 4.8) around that price on December 31, 2018. If i were you, I'd still bargain to get more off just because, and come up with a reason. But again.... go through all the stickies first to make your own educated decision, not just what some guy on the interwebs said.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:23 AM
J M
Track Day

thank you! i've been doing that too.. but wanted to see any live reactions/opinions that people might be willing to share about the specifics of price vs mileage and reliability..
Old 10-02-2019, 11:25 AM
J M
Track Day

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Definitely go through all the stickies in this forum for Cayenne.

What's the sub model? Base, Diesel, S? I doubt its GTS, Turbo or Turbo S for that price. Generally that's decent price if its all there in terms of non-issues with that mileage - my opinion of course. I got my 2011 S (V8 4.8) around that price on December 31, 2018. If i were you, I'd still bargain to get more off just because, and come up with a reason. But again.... go through all the stickies first to make your own educated decision, not just what some guy on the interwebs said.

thanks for ur response! It's a base V6 3.6L, gas, AWD
Old 10-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you and have been searching for months for a used Cayenne. I have come to the conclusion that if you aren't buying CPO, then you either need to set up a savings account with a minimum of $4k dedicated to "possible" repairs or buy an after market warranty (Fidelity is mentioned frequently on here) given the mileage and regardless of the service history you can possibly expect some degree of repairs and recommended maintenance in the coming miles. As stated, read the sticky's and everything on buying a used 958.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:35 AM
J M
Track Day

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I'm in the same boat as you and have been searching for months for a used Cayenne. I have come to the conclusion that if you aren't buying CPO, then you either need to set up a savings account with a minimum of $4k dedicated to "possible" repairs or buy an after market warranty (Fidelity is mentioned frequently on here) given the mileage and regardless of the service history you can possibly expect some degree of repairs and recommended maintenance in the coming miles. As stated, read the sticky's and everything on buying a used 958.
great! thx! i'm total porsche noob so wasn't sure what '958' meant.. now i know.. thx!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:38 AM
J M
Track Day

also, if it ain't too much to ask, can u kindly post the forums links to any interesting threads u found in ur research on this forum (or elsewhere), given u said u r in the same boat?

i'm kind of struggling to filter out the threads that are directly relevant to buying a used cayenne, from the abundance of info and discussions..
Old 10-02-2019, 11:59 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Stickies and links to start with.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...sfer-case.html
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/

I am leery of any used 958 that is not sold by a Porsche dealer. Too many unknowns, so buyer beware or at least get a GOOD RELIABLE PPI. I like the last link especially as it is the way to find both CPO and non CPO vehicles that are being sold by Porsche dealers. I actually missed out on a perfect (for me 958) last week by just hours. I was going back and forth with the dealer because it was a non CPO vehicle, but they said they would sell it as a CPO for $3k over the listed price, which is what I was hoping for. But, by the time I decided to pull the trigger it got snatched up by someone else. Moral is "when you find the one, don't delay, but be patient too!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:04 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by J M
thanks for ur response! It's a base V6 3.6L, gas, AWD
That would be a no; Maybe an S or diesel gets low to mid $20s nowadays. A 2014 is no different than a 2011. All in the same gen with same issues.

Cars.com and autotrader tells you retail market value. Subtract 5-10% for actual purchase price.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:38 PM
J M
Track Day

Stickies and links to start with.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...sfer-case.html
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/

I am leery of any used 958 that is not sold by a Porsche dealer. Too many unknowns, so buyer beware or at least get a GOOD RELIABLE PPI. I like the last link especially as it is the way to find both CPO and non CPO vehicles that are being sold by Porsche dealers. I actually missed out on a perfect (for me 958) last week by just hours. I was going back and forth with the dealer because it was a non CPO vehicle, but they said they would sell it as a CPO for $3k over the listed price, which is what I was hoping for. But, by the time I decided to pull the trigger it got snatched up by someone else. Moral is "when you find the one, don't delay, but be patient too!

great! thanks for sharing! this is not sold by a porsche dealer, but it has a very clean carfax report, 1-owner, regular maintenance records - performed at a porsche dealership per carfax, so i'm tempted to consider non-CPO..

PPI = post market warranty? any recommendations for that? (saw a reference to fidelity earlier)
Old 10-02-2019, 01:38 PM
mobius911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I just went through the used Cayenne search process. Good points here already. There are plenty of good ones out there, and if you look for a bit (autotrader, cars.com, cargurus, nationalpreownedporsche.com, Craigslist, etc.) you'll get a good handle on the market pretty quickly.

it also depends on the car spec, your "must-haves", and your "nice-to-haves". I used the VIN decoder site VIN Analytics, but there is one here on Rennlist as well. From these you can tell how the Cayenne was optioned and the MSRP. Amazingly, owners and even dealers sometime don't know or don't bother to list all the options that were ordered, so the only way to tell is with a VIN decoder. Options can add multiple $tens of thousands to the price, and they are heavily discounted or close to free in the used car market. So you might be able to pick up a very well-optioned Cayenne for little over the price of a very basic model of similar year/miles. Take the time to learn what is included in the option packages for the model years you are considering; many buyers optioned their Cayennes by choosing a package like Premium or Premium Plus, but they could be added a la carte as well.

But a warning- as you start to add requirements your universe of available vehicles shrinks. I ran into that problem as my wife and I started looking and then refined our search criteria. And human nature being what it is, the more you look, the more options you decide you need! We wanted an S, panorama roof, roof rails, PASM, lowish miles, and not a Luxor Beige interior. That wasn't so easy to find. It's amazing to me that the 958 didn't offer a provision to add roof rails. My rough estimate is that only 10-20% of cars have that option, making it a real limitation in the used car search. We did eventually find our "unicorn", but we gave up on a few nice-to-haves, like ventilated seats and air suspension. If you can stay flexible in your spec, it's more likely that you'll find a good deal.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:41 PM
J M
Track Day

Originally Posted by chsu74
That would be a no; Maybe an S or diesel gets low to mid $20s nowadays. A 2014 is no different than a 2011. All in the same gen with same issues.

Cars.com and autotrader tells you retail market value. Subtract 5-10% for actual purchase price.
got it.. thanks for weighing in.. the only consideration i weighed in more abt a 2014 is that this is in snowy boston, where years can matter to the body/paint, etc.. especially if they were non-garaged...

wht would you think may be a good price for a base model? $19-20K?

this is non-CPO, but is a 1-owner car, with decent maintenance records done at a single porsche dealership over the years, per carfax
Old 10-02-2019, 01:59 PM
J M
Track Day

Originally Posted by mobius911
I just went through the used Cayenne search process. Good points here already. There are plenty of good ones out there, and if you look for a bit (autotrader, cars.com, cargurus, nationalpreownedporsche.com, Craigslist, etc.) you'll get a good handle on the market pretty quickly.

it also depends on the car spec, your "must-haves", and your "nice-to-haves". I used the VIN decoder site VIN Analytics, but there is one here on Rennlist as well. From these you can tell how the Cayenne was optioned and the MSRP. Amazingly, owners and even dealers sometime don't know or don't bother to list all the options that were ordered, so the only way to tell is with a VIN decoder. Options can add multiple $tens of thousands to the price, and they are heavily discounted or close to free in the used car market. So you might be able to pick up a very well-optioned Cayenne for little over the price of a very basic model of similar year/miles. Take the time to learn what is included in the option packages for the model years you are considering; many buyers optioned their Cayennes by choosing a package like Premium or Premium Plus, but they could be added a la carte as well.

But a warning- as you start to add requirements your universe of available vehicles shrinks. I ran into that problem as my wife and I started looking and then refined our search criteria. And human nature being what it is, the more you look, the more options you decide you need! We wanted an S, panorama roof, roof rails, PASM, lowish miles, and not a Luxor Beige interior. That wasn't so easy to find. It's amazing to me that the 958 didn't offer a provision to add roof rails. My rough estimate is that only 10-20% of cars have that option, making it a real limitation in the used car search. We did eventually find our "unicorn", but we gave up on a few nice-to-haves, like ventilated seats and air suspension. If you can stay flexible in your spec, it's more likely that you'll find a good deal.
thanks so much for the insights.. will check out the vin decoder tool..

right now, i'm pretty much looking for the 'porsche badge' on an SUV.. not much else in terms of 'must have' features...

a Macan would hv fit my bill too, but can't find any inventory yet for a Macan in the high $19Ks or low $20Ks..
Old 10-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J M
great! thanks for sharing! this is not sold by a porsche dealer, but it has a very clean carfax report, 1-owner, regular maintenance records - performed at a porsche dealership per carfax, so i'm tempted to consider non-CPO..

PPI = post market warranty? any recommendations for that? (saw a reference to fidelity earlier)

PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection (Either take to a Porsche dealer or a respected Independent repair shop. Expect to spend $$$ for this, but it could pay for itself if they identify a problem/need/issue.

As for Carfax - I take them with a grain of salt. Some might be 100% legit and some may not be worth the paper they are printed on. Unscrupulous owners or shops can make sure things don't get recorded so they won't show up on the report. Since you say the car was serviced at the same dealer, I would start there. I've heard plenty of stories of cars having major accidents which never showed up on the Carfax, thus with the high cost of ownership of a Porsche a PPI may be the best $ spent.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayenne with 88K miles @$22k - worth it?