Sponsored By:

upgrade buying advice 14' GTS vs 958.2 CTT/S

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 07:59 PM
AJ9
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question upgrade buying advice 14' GTS vs 958.2 CTT/S

I currently drive a Panamera 4 970 (V6 NA 3.6L)

I’m looking for an upgrade for mainly one major reason: the V6 is horribly quiet and I need something that has a more lively driving experience (mainly in terms of exhaust sound).

I ordered and installed PSE. Installing a PSE didn’t help much, a resonator-delete had really nice pops and crackles, but raspy obnoxious tone so it was reverted and not a single aftermarket exhaust system sounds not raspy or any good basically.

The other concern (very minor) is that I don’t enjoy having to worry too much all the time of how low the car is when parking/driving over speed humps (with load/4 people on board which usually means that the car scrapes the hump), so I thought the idea upgrade would be an SUV, a Cayenne in particular since I’m not into the Macan and once you drive a Porsche nothing can compare.

(Other suggestions from the Porsche lineup also are still valid and welcomed even if they don’t cover the ride height concern as the exhaust is my main concern)

So basically I narrowed my search to the:
  1. 2014 Cayenne GTS as it’s a NA V8 beast with the PSE button as standard. However with this option the two main mods I’d do would be retrofitting the 958.2’s steering wheel (AKA the Macan steering wheel) and a Secondary cat-bypass for sure. (side note: 958.2 16' GTS is out of the question since it's a TTV6 and doesn't sound any good imo)
  2. The other option in mind just as of recently is a CTT/CTTS 15/16 since it’s also a V8, could have a PSE installed and or a secondary cat-bypass and already has the beautiful newer steering wheel but the only downside is that it would be more expensive and my budget is a bit tight. (most options of both the GTS and TT range between 40-52k $ so 52k would be my ceiling)

Bottom line, I need advice

Which option is better (also while keeping in mind reliability/maintenance) seeking a CPO is also on the list of priorities

Speed/acceleration/comfort are not an area of concern in this comparison as we have strict speed restrictions and I don’t require this car for very long commutes.

Also since other posts in the forum have covered these points fully

Other suggestions are welcome even from other makes.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:08 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Given all you've stated, basically heavy emphasis on exhaust note/sound and not much concern for all out performance, I'd go with the '14 GTS. They sound about as good as Cayennes get from the factory, and you still have decent performance when you might want it. Has utility, luxury/comfort, performance, and the SOUND....N/A V8 with PSE. Also, you should be able to find a nice one, perhaps even CPO, well within your budget.

Best of luck in your quest.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:14 PM
rcalcaide
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ9
I currently drive a Panamera 4 970 (V6 NA 3.6L)

I’m looking for an upgrade for mainly one major reason: the V6 is horribly quiet and I need something that has a more lively driving experience (mainly in terms of exhaust sound).

I ordered and installed PSE. Installing a PSE didn’t help much, a resonator-delete had really nice pops and crackles, but raspy obnoxious tone so it was reverted and not a single aftermarket exhaust system sounds not raspy or any good basically.

The other concern (very minor) is that I don’t enjoy having to worry too much all the time of how low the car is when parking/driving over speed humps (with load/4 people on board which usually means that the car scrapes the hump), so I thought the idea upgrade would be an SUV, a Cayenne in particular since I’m not into the Macan and once you drive a Porsche nothing can compare.

(Other suggestions from the Porsche lineup also are still valid and welcomed even if they don’t cover the ride height concern as the exhaust is my main concern)

So basically I narrowed my search to the:
  1. 2014 Cayenne GTS as it’s a NA V8 beast with the PSE button as standard. However with this option the two main mods I’d do would be retrofitting the 958.2’s steering wheel (AKA the Macan steering wheel) and a Secondary cat-bypass for sure. (side note: 958.2 16' GTS is out of the question since it's a TTV6 and doesn't sound any good imo)
  2. The other option in mind just as of recently is a CTT/CTTS 15/16 since it’s also a V8, could have a PSE installed and or a secondary cat-bypass and already has the beautiful newer steering wheel but the only downside is that it would be more expensive and my budget is a bit tight. (most options of both the GTS and TT range between 40-52k $ so 52k would be my ceiling)

Bottom line, I need advice

Which option is better (also while keeping in mind reliability/maintenance) seeking a CPO is also on the list of priorities

Speed/acceleration/comfort are not an area of concern in this comparison as we have strict speed restrictions and I don’t require this car for very long commutes.

Also since other posts in the forum have covered these points fully

Other suggestions are welcome even from other makes.

I have a 2014 Cayenne GTS with the secondary cat delete pipes from Fabspeed. The sound is intoxicating. LOUD and tons of burbles and backfire! Press the button and its quiet when it needs to be. I knew when shopping for a Cayenne it had to be a GTS. Your are right the 958.2 GTS with the V6 sounds horrible and nothing can fix it lol.

R
Old 09-26-2019, 06:42 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

2014 GTS gets my vote.

I have thought about getting a 2015 CTT when I was looking for my GTS but it lacked the more raw feeling of my GTS. Yea it was faster but I just didn't love it, plus the GTS is plenty fast for where I drive so a non starter.

You should easilly..... get a 2014 GTS for under 52k CPO. Only thing is finding the right GTS, they seem to be a bit more rare with good options than a turbo.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:16 AM
AJ9
AutoX

thank you all indeed for the lovely and very useful feedback
Old 09-27-2019, 11:17 AM
AJ9
AutoX

Originally Posted by rcalcaide
I have a 2014 Cayenne GTS with the secondary cat delete pipes from Fabspeed. The sound is intoxicating. LOUD and tons of burbles and backfire! Press the button and its quiet when it needs to be. I knew when shopping for a Cayenne it had to be a GTS. Your are right the 958.2 GTS with the V6 sounds horrible and nothing can fix it lol.

R
so in regards of the secondary cat by-pass, does your Porsche dealer block-flags/voids your renewable warranty?
Old 09-28-2019, 12:55 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

14 GTS any day, Had a 2016 Turbo and recently took delivery of a 2019 S, boring! Believe me, the 958.1 GTS is that good.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:47 PM
rcalcaide
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ9
so in regards of the secondary cat by-pass, does your Porsche dealer block-flags/voids your renewable warranty?
My car is out of warranty now. I have an extended service contract now. I don't use my dealership for service anymore. I use a high performance Porsche shop who honors the contract if work is needed. Dealerships are just too expensive for me.

Quick Reply: upgrade buying advice 14' GTS vs 958.2 CTT/S