Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Found this GTS. Bad idea to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 PM
darkus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found this GTS. Bad idea to buy?

I've been looking for a low mileage GTS or turbo for some time. Haven't found a good one yet (at a reasonable price that is).

Finally found one which on paper is priced very low at 61k for a car with 25k miles, which is odd. By very low price, I mean like 5-8k below market for a car with this many miles (been watching the market for a few months now). usually such a car in good/great condition will go for the low 70s (its a 2016)

Went to see it and the exterior is really in amazing condition. Looks awesome on a basic perusal.

But my god the interior. I haven't seen something that beat up in a long time. I really have no idea how someone could beat up an interior that bad in only 25k miles.

Every seat eather has tears or weird looking holes on the searing surfaces. Seat backs look OK at best. Both grab handles have large gashes on them. Center armrest, well forget it, car would look better if it was missing. The leather dash looked ok and un molested. The side skills were all scratched and faded. Trunk skid rails were destroyed. The button for the trunk close and lock looked like it was about to fall off. Plastic molding on inside of doors was peeling off and getting stuck when you closed the rear doors. Every button in the center console was scratched or discolored it had weird water marks on them. it seemed like every part that a person would touch, was absolutely wrecked.

Hope that paints a picture? There were more problems but I'm hoping you all get the idea. I walked away thinking "no way in hell would I buy this"

but now after thinking about it a little I'm wondering if these are things I could actually replace and get the car into presentable livable condition? That's the DIYer in me I think speaking. The part beyond my skills would likely be the leather on the seats which need replacement and would have porsche do it.

The reason Im thinking this is I can't find a car of a good quality at a decent price. Everything is either in a color combo I don't like or missing options or is high mileage, so I'm getting desperate.

What do you think?

Is replacing the interior a reasonable option for me or will the costs be so high that I should forget about it? I was thinking it could be fun to change out the interior to the mix leather/alcatara interior so that would make me feel better about the changes, it would sort of be an upgrade in my mind

The other hesitation I have is thinking about whoever could destroy an interior like that in only 25k miles probably wreeked havoc on the motor or mechanicals?

My heart says do it and roll the dice "it'll be fun to fix". My brain says to stay a million miles away

Last edited by darkus; 07-26-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You know the right answer here. Don't let anyone align your mind with your heart. RUN!

Besides, with parts costs and professional labor for the seats, you'll likely spend close to what you would have spent for a plug and play model.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:42 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

drakus:

I sometimes have a tendency to look at things for their potential rather than what they really are. Sometimes that can be fun but almost always expensive. Mileage is just one indicator of condition, and, by itself, doesn't really mean much. I fully agree with jtakhatalian. Don't give that car another thought unless you just feel obligated to rescue the vehicle. If you do, you'll be taking on an expensive mess.

Hank
Old 07-25-2019, 11:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

The abuse of the interior is a clue as to the service that the vehicle has received. That can lead to much more costly expenses as mechanical bits and bobs start failing.

RUN-AWAY, RUN-AWAY.

The least expensive car you'll buy is the one that needs the least work to bring it up to a standard you can accept. As others pointed out - with Porsche parts prices doing things like seat leather is simply insanely expensive.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:15 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Some people don’t deserve nice things. This is a great example.

Offer them $35k and point out how much it’ll cost to get the interior repaired.

A PPI might sort out neglect of maintenance.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

On a cheap beater where you can find interior panels on ebay for a song...have at it.

On this car? hell no.

Anybody who could do that to the interior ain't gonna care one bit about the car.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:36 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

Run Forest- RUN !

A special car like a GTS should be no stories from the get go IMHO ...your ownership experience will be more rewarding this way. If you wait a few more months when the Manheim #'s change, GTS and TT prices will drop more.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:07 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Which year GTS is this?

I'm hoping it's a 2016 or newer. If it's a 2014 than that price is too high. And with a 2016 having torn up interior, that just makes it even worse as it's barely a 3 year old vehicle and someone treated it like dog ****.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:45 AM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

2 guesses on this one...

1) Someone that brings their little ankle biter dog with them everywhere and it destroyed the car.

2) It was used as an Uber, dude lived in it, and really has 125,000 miles but was rolled back somehow.

Run away! Just for perspective, I rescued / restored a 78 Corvette over the 13 years I owned it. Mind you, the seller I bought it from said it just needed the hood resprayed and the a/c didn't work (ugh, I was young and naive). There are parts everywhere for that, and not horribly expensive but not cheap either. Once you dig in there is more you find, always is. Let's just say, I took a bath when you add it all up. Was it cool that my car was bought by a very large Auto Museum and displayed for a while... yeah. But at the end of the day it was all a transaction to them vs. love and money for me. With a newer Porsche, I've found the most minor of parts expensive. You're prob. going to be out more than 5 grand for front seat leather, door panels, and console leather replacement.
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (07-28-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:05 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

While I would likely walk away from this due to all the interior issues a good leather repair person could make almost all of seat/panel issues disappear so that you wouldn't be able to see where the damage was. Find out who the local Porsche dealer uses for their repairs and you can call and get an estimate. Much, much cheaper than actually replacing the pieces. Scratched buttons and damaged plastic is another matter and would need to be replaced.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Likely someone that let their dog run amok in there. Hard pass, whatever the reasons, as the parts to bring it back into shape would be horribly expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (07-28-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 PM
darkus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew you guys here were geniuses.

Looking back at it the dog let loose idea makes total sense to me. A lot of the holes in the seats were like circular peg holes. Not a dog owner but I could imaging a nail/claw or a tooth making a hole like that

thanks again for all the advice, I really wanted to take this car on (the heart) but you guys are all siding with the brain, so I decided to pass

I don't but think I'll ever find a GTS at this pace, but will stay strong and keep the hunt on

thanks again!!
Old 07-27-2019, 01:12 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

What year and price structure are you looking at? Features, colors? I keep an eye on on 13-17 year GTS from time to time so maybe I saw something.

Carmax had a 16 with 28k miles for 60k so price isn't out of the realm.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:39 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

That car sounds like a rebuild
Old 07-27-2019, 04:12 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

The 14s have a much better exhaust sound with the V8 ��

Quick Reply: Found this GTS. Bad idea to buy?