Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Suspension wear/service intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Suspension wear/service intervals?

I've a '17 GTS with 28k miles and wonder how long it'll be before the front suspension parts will need attention. Control arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc. The gradual wear of these tends to be something we don't notice while it's happening. It's usually not until something goes 'clunk', or we drive something new and shiny, that we realize they've worn out.

My driving is on reasonably decent suburban and highway roads. I'd imagine folks with poorer road conditions would need repairs sooner.
(waves to folks in NYC... and Michigan)

So what're the typical mileage figures for these? What have others experienced?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:34 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

I've got 80k miles on a '16 GTS, and everything is still super solid. I asked my local Porsche shop about shock absorbers and he told me he thinks the air suspension setup will go 200k as long as you're good to them, which is pretty impressive if true.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I've a '17 GTS with 28k miles and wonder how long it'll be before the front suspension parts will need attention. Control arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc. The gradual wear of these tends to be something we don't notice while it's happening. It's usually not until something goes 'clunk', or we drive something new and shiny, that we realize they've worn out.

My driving is on reasonably decent suburban and highway roads. I'd imagine folks with poorer road conditions would need repairs sooner.
(waves to folks in NYC... and Michigan)

So what're the typical mileage figures for these? What have others experienced?
That's a good question. Probably as noted - the wear, especially on things like shock aborbers is so gradual that it isn't noticed. I don't really see any options for rebuilding the shocks, but mine still respond to "comfort" "normal" "sport" like I'd expect them to. The other bits and bushings and joints can be wiggled to see if there is play. This is best done with the suspenson under load - my mechanic likes to raise the wheel into normal driving height while it's on the lift (he uses a transmission jack) to check for play. So far on mine - 100,500 miles - he hasn't found any, and there aren't any strange noises. This is in stark contrast to the usual McPherson strut BMW that feels like crappola at around 40k miles as the trailing arm bushings go bad and the shocks start loosening up. On BMWs I just planned on a suspension rebuild every 50,000 miles, not so much on the Cayenne.. so far it's been pretty good.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

I've got the PAS and PASM options, so I'm sure it'll be an ankle-gripper when those need replacement.

My last SUV had gotten shockingly sloppy to drive due to control arm bushing wear. I really didn't know 'how bad' until I got this GTS to replace it. I was appalled how poorly it handled on it's last ride to Carmax. I know, of course, that the handling and suspension on a Grand Cherokee certainly can't compare. The way road bumps transferred through worn bushings however will certainly be similar. I've had to go through a stretch of suburban streets lately that have those 'traffic calming' speed humps. Some of the humps are more abrupt than others and it feels like there's starting to be enough wear 'somewhere' in the front suspension to cause it to feel somewhat loose when bouncing over them. Not bad, and certainly not anything clunking, but maybe not as 'tight' as it felt when new.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 PM
gotsis
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

150k miles on 2013 GTS all original bulletproof
The following users liked this post:
911-140.6 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:44 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew, am I glad to read this thread! The wife's DD is a '14 S with air, so I wondered about wear, too. No handling woes at this time, but my wife babies that Porsche and never even drives it in Sport! Me, OTOH...

TXCOMT

Quick Reply: Suspension wear/service intervals?