Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

EGR is the devil, Bobby Boucher! (Diesel EGR, that is)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:31 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
So with the EGR "delete" - I read a lot about "blockoff plates." To me, I'd think/assume you could just keep all the valves closed, vs. installing a blockoff plate?

I asked about this on TDIClub and got a (not very clear) answer that all the "deleted" hardware must actually be removed. If I can get away with merely flashing the software for "EGR delete, keep DEF" without having to pop the hood or turn a wrench... I'm very, very interested.

@hotrod2448 did he mention what his "friend" was charging to do the TCU updates? I assume it's a different guy from the one posting here a few months ago (from what I saw from him on TDIClub, he got burned a few times with people not returning his loaner TCU's and sounded like he was quitting doing it.)
He did not. I was assuming it was the same guy. I know at one point the two had a working relationship.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaïzer Söze
I’m not sure if or when my car was “fixed” but it has diesel warranty out to 120k. Would this issue be something that should be covered under that warranty?

thanks

Eric
I spoke to my dealer about it and was told that carbon cleaning is NOT covered under warranty. It's considered "maintenance." Now if you throw a CEL due to the EGR valve getting stuck, warranty will likely replace the EGR valve... but then they'll stick you with the bill if you want the rest of it cleaned out.

My wife's VW needed carbon cleaning, the intake manifold has moving flaps that get gunked up. Warranty covered a new intake manifold but I had to pay out of pocket if I wanted the rest of the system cleaned. I don't think Porsche would be any different.

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
He did not. I was assuming it was the same guy. I know at one point the two had a working relationship.
Ok.

So now I'm really thinking about this tune. Especially if it turns out that "EGR delete" is just in software, which means little/no labor on my part other than hooking up a Flashzilla. As I understand, you really need to put the TCU back to stock to really get the full effect.... but even without the updated/old TCU tune, it's GOT to be better than it is now.

Or do I spend the money to finish out the stereo in the track toy....
Old 07-31-2019, 01:51 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I spoke to my dealer about it and was told that carbon cleaning is NOT covered under warranty. It's considered "maintenance." Now if you throw a CEL due to the EGR valve getting stuck, warranty will likely replace the EGR valve... but then they'll stick you with the bill if you want the rest of it cleaned out.

My wife's VW needed carbon cleaning, the intake manifold has moving flaps that get gunked up. Warranty covered a new intake manifold but I had to pay out of pocket if I wanted the rest of the system cleaned. I don't think Porsche would be any different.
That is not necessarily true. I had the EGR replaced under warranty, and the carbon cleaning was done as part of the procedure at no cost.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:53 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Ok.

So now I'm really thinking about this tune. Especially if it turns out that "EGR delete" is just in software, which means little/no labor on my part other than hooking up a Flashzilla. As I understand, you really need to put the TCU back to stock to really get the full effect.... but even without the updated/old TCU tune, it's GOT to be better than it is now.

That's an easy decision, track cars don't need stereos.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

That's an easy decision, track cars don't need stereos.
LOL

I didn't think so either. I had the most basic of basic in there just to have "something" but it's starting to bug me on the off-day that I drive it to work. Dove into it last weekend and made some big improvements with little money, but realize I need to throw a few bucks at it to really finish it....

Back on topic - I put up a post at TDIClub to find out if the EGR delete is a software-only change.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:06 PM
MajorPain
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Long term issues ahead?

Quick question: Could all this crap entering the intake have a mechanical impact on the cylinder heads, valves, lifters, etc? Could valves be getting stuck when you turn the car off and all the mechanicals settle or stop. I ask because we are the new owners of a 2014 pre-owned CD and occasionally on start we hear a rattle for like 1-2 seconds max. I have read and come to the conclusion that it is 1 of 2 things. 1st and worst would be timing chain tensioner failure with 82k on odometer, or 2 it is loosing oil pressure and the valves make noise until the engine oil comes back up to pressure. The vehicle had the fix at 68k and I have yet to clean the EGR like many of you have. I am about to pull all the environmental stuff I can off this car, tune it, and drive it like a stole it. If it blows up I will have a really nice interior and dentless body panels for sale on here and 6-speed.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:22 PM
booch
Instructor

The rattle is normal. My car has done it for, oh, the last 100k miles.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by MajorPain
Quick question: Could all this crap entering the intake have a mechanical impact on the cylinder heads, valves, lifters, etc? Could valves be getting stuck when you turn the car off and all the mechanicals settle or stop. I ask because we are the new owners of a 2014 pre-owned CD and occasionally on start we hear a rattle for like 1-2 seconds max. I have read and come to the conclusion that it is 1 of 2 things. 1st and worst would be timing chain tensioner failure with 82k on odometer, or 2 it is loosing oil pressure and the valves make noise until the engine oil comes back up to pressure. The vehicle had the fix at 68k and I have yet to clean the EGR like many of you have. I am about to pull all the environmental stuff I can off this car, tune it, and drive it like a stole it. If it blows up I will have a really nice interior and dentless body panels for sale on here and 6-speed.
Oh they all do that, just ask your dealer.

It's most likely a valve lash adjuster bleeding down from how dirty the oil gets in these which high EGR usage definitely does not help with. I've got that going on too.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:26 PM
MajorPain
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh they all do that, just ask your dealer.

It's most likely a valve lash adjuster bleeding down from how dirty the oil gets in these which high EGR usage definitely does not help with. I've got that going on too.
Thank you for the quick response. Will anything fail because of this valve lash or is it just annoying and something I have to convince myself I don’t hear. I am going full adblue and delete with MALONE tune ASAP. Anything I should be aware of or try.

I will post photos of the process to my profile if that’s possible.

As for the warranty I feel like most everyone here realizes it’s a good faith attempt at satisfying the federal government and not us. This means that as a large corporation (VAG) they will stop at nothing to minimize cost and fix only what they think needs to be fixed. The more they accomplish this in their individual handling of each one of us slowly but surely adjust the expectation (lower) for everyone thus minimizing claims and expenses even more. They had to come up with a fix for the 2nd gen diesel models because the amount of car loans associated with these model years would have bankrupt the company. While these Germans paid many of you because they lied I think they were also thinking good luck with all that EGR!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Ok.

Originally Posted by booch
That is not necessarily true. I had the EGR replaced under warranty, and the carbon cleaning was done as part of the procedure at no cost.
I can't imagine they'd replace the EGR cooler/valve under warranty and, while they have it all apart, not clean out all the garbage causing the CEL/code in the first place. That would be utter insanity and not something I'd stand for. The cleaning, once all disassembled, is a small part of the overall project.

Originally Posted by MajorPain
Of course it can have an impact. You don't think they offered up this 120k warranty out of the goodness of their hearts, do you? They calculated the risk involved with routing more dirty exhaust gas through the engine and covered some of it. Long, long term... well, if you want to keep the warranty, do it. Then when it's over, pull it apart, clean out the intake and seal off the EGR and hope that ends it. Or close it off, give up the warranty and add life to your engine.

As for the noise, it's a diesel; they make noises, especially when starting up. It shouldn't be excessive or last for very long, though.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:37 PM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my exchange with them:

Here's what I received from them:

Yes we can turn off the egr separately if you'd like, but it will affect warm up times a bit and that may affect DPF longevity, realistically all of the systems are intertwined.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:59 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
I can't imagine they'd replace the EGR cooler/valve under warranty and, while they have it all apart, not clean out all the garbage causing the CEL/code in the first place. That would be utter insanity and not something I'd stand for. The cleaning, once all disassembled, is a small part of the overall project.
Well like I said... VW wouldnt do it on my wife’s car. They R&R’d the manifold. Carbon cleaning was on me.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:26 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by RomSL
Here's what I received from them:

Yes we can turn off the egr separately if you'd like, but it will affect warm up times a bit and that may affect DPF longevity, realistically all of the systems are intertwined.
Perhaps leaving it enabled only at engine warm up is the best compromise in this situation.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:54 PM
booch
Instructor

Well like I said... VW wouldnt do it on my wife’s car. They R&R’d the manifold. Carbon cleaning was on me.
Well, Porsche is not VW, so you got that going for you... which is nice.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:02 PM
booch
Instructor

I did the cleaning last night on my 152k mile 2013 CD, and the car drives 'normally' again. I had my EGR replaced/carbon cleaned last year, and the car was fine up until relatively recently. Seeing this thread, I decided to take the plunge and clean what I could. I removed the easy parts up front, cleaned them as much as I could, and scraped out the intake manifold for as far as the tool would reach, vacuuming out the debris and wiping up the remains with a rag.
As was mentioned earlier, try not to get the crap on you... it's a PITA to remove. I went through 6 or 7 sets of rubber gloves, but the carbon went everywhere. I didn't upload any pics, but the carbon buildup was not as bad as some of the pics in this thread, and worse than a few others. I would estimated that I removed a salt-shaker full of dry carbon, and then the oily gunk underneath.

Quick Reply: EGR is the devil, Bobby Boucher! (Diesel EGR, that is)