Replacing the Insulated Glass? - Thief tried to break in

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 AM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replacing the Insulated Glass? - Thief tried to break in

Hey guys,

So while parked at a hospital, a thief tried to break in using a punch tool. Luckily, I have the thermal / sound insulated glass option so it did not shatter. He tried 4 times before giving up and moving on.

Does anyone have any experience in replacing these as far as cost? I have a $500 deductible so probably not going the insurance route.

Can any glass shop realistically handle these repairs or does one need to stick with the dealer? Dealership is about 30 minutes away and I'd rather not deal with the logistics if I don't have to.

TIA!

Jason
Old 07-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry, I can't answer your question -- but wow. Withstood 4 hits with a sharp punch tool -- impressive.
The following users liked this post:
nerdtalker (02-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

As a former first responder - the thief was not hitting the right part of the window. That's a wild breakage pattern! Would expect it to popcorn, since isn't it still tempered glass?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I can only speak to my experience in Oakland CA back at the beginning of June. Parked in a public lot behind a restaurant. Well lit, lots of people coming/going, a decent part of town. Went across the street to SIL's for a graduation party for my niece. Came out about 4 hours later, and walking into the lot, I noticed a lot of broken glass on the pavement. As I got near my car (that I'd purposely parked in a visible spot under a street lamp, at first I thought I missed getting hit - but no, when I looked at the passenger side both side windows were gone (and the power screen on the back window.)

Strangely - BMW of Marin had the windows in stock and referred me to a place downtown in SF to get them installed quickly. The windows were surprisingly inexpensive, and the place only charged for 2 hours labor (which is what they spent on it - I was waiting for it..) Total bill for 2 windows was $725 including labor. I have a receipt so I could give you the actual price of the windows, but somehow I expect your insulated glass is going to be more spendy.

FWIW - I've always carried minimum deductible on "comprehensive" insurance. It costs about $35/year extra from $500 deductible on 2 cars. I paid $50. The insurance paid the rest. Comprehensive covers animals (deer), windshields, and theft. Almost everything except actual collisions.

BTW - the shop that did the glass - the owner was head of some regional glass-shops organization. He said last year in the SF bay area 38,000 windows were replaced due to break-ins. The theft who did mine took about $6 worth of crap. He missed entirely my good camera which was buried under some stuff in the drivers side rear foot-well.

The screen getting replaced waited until I was back in NJ - that was about another $500. Somehow it took longer to replace the screen (which had to be R&R'd to do the window-glass) then it did to do two doors on my car.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:46 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

anyone/shop that could pull the door panel and or change a window/regulator could do it. its not very hard, and since the cayenne's doors/windows arent frameless, there isnt much adjusting to do either. usually when the car window gets smashed, cleaning up all the glass pieces is the hardest/worst part.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks everyone.

For what it’s worth, the dealer came back with a quote of $1,884 for the job. Tax included! 🤦🏼*♂️

I have asked my European indy that does my oil changes for a price. Perhaps I will do my comprehensive claim. And that was a good suggestion above to lower the comp deductible for a small update per month.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Thanks everyone.

For what it’s worth, the dealer came back with a quote of $1,884 for the job. Tax included! 🤦🏼*♂️

I have asked my European indy that does my oil changes for a price. Perhaps I will do my comprehensive claim. And that was a good suggestion above to lower the comp deductible for a small update per month.
Dunno where you're located - but it might be worthwhile to find an independent glass shop that's familiar with Porsches. A regular mechanic isn't that often in the glass replacement field - where a glass shop does it day in and day out. The shop I used charged for 2 hours labor doing BOTH windows (1 hour each) - and that's how long it took them. Porsche estimated 4 hours just to R&R the blind on the door. It took the independent shop less than 1 hour to do it. If you're in the SF bay-area I have a great shop I can recommend.

And yes - paying $3/month extra for a low-deductible comprehensive makes a lot of sense.

Back in the mid-'80s, I owned an Izusu Trooper. The windshield on it was dead flat and very close to vertical (slight tilt back at the top, maybe 2"). It regularly cracked after taking the smallest stone ding. It was prone to the dings due to the flat upright glass, and the cracks were instantaneous since the glass seemed extraordinarily thin. The local glass shop I used started keeping the windshield in stock for me. At the time I had $25/deductable (no longer offered), and the glass shop would comp me that since I was such a regular customer.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:13 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Someone smashed my front passenger side window about 3 months ago. Mine weren't thermal insulated so it was about $250 shipped from sunset Porsche. The thermal ones was about $600 ( I know because this was listed on their online store for my car when I put in my VIN. The salesperson told me it was a different part number when he put my VIN to double-check)

The replacement is fairly straight forward. Just Google how to remove the door panel. Everything else is pretty easy to figure out afterwards. Took me about 4 hours, including vacuuming out all the broken glass.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by 9000RPM
Someone smashed my front passenger side window about 3 months ago. Mine weren't thermal insulated so it was about $250 shipped from sunset Porsche. The thermal ones was about $600 ( I know because this was listed on their online store for my car when I put in my VIN. The salesperson told me it was a different part number when he put my VIN to double-check)

The replacement is fairly straight forward. Just Google how to remove the door panel. Everything else is pretty easy to figure out afterwards. Took me about 4 hours, including vacuuming out all the broken glass.
I'm surprised - Marin Porsche (not known to be a bargain dealer) was $180 each for the windows. That was picked up - maybe shipping is $$$. The guy doing mine did both windows and a really good clean out (I had the front seat out last week for something else - not a spot of glass to be found) in 2 hours. I think there may be some tricks that are learned with experience.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 PM
CampDiablo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area Shop

Where did you take your Cayenne in Bay Area? I have privacy glass on my Cayenne, and two drivers side windows cracked. The small one in front of the drivers side mirror and then the rear drivers side trunk window. I left the front one alone for years because they asked $1200 which seems absurd. I had a quote from satellite for $800 for the rear, but not sure I want a tech not familiar with Porsche.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I can only speak to my experience in Oakland CA back at the beginning of June. Parked in a public lot behind a restaurant. Well lit, lots of people coming/going, a decent part of town. Went across the street to SIL's for a graduation party for my niece. Came out about 4 hours later, and walking into the lot, I noticed a lot of broken glass on the pavement. As I got near my car (that I'd purposely parked in a visible spot under a street lamp, at first I thought I missed getting hit - but no, when I looked at the passenger side both side windows were gone (and the power screen on the back window.)

Strangely - BMW of Marin had the windows in stock and referred me to a place downtown in SF to get them installed quickly. The windows were surprisingly inexpensive, and the place only charged for 2 hours labor (which is what they spent on it - I was waiting for it..) Total bill for 2 windows was $725 including labor. I have a receipt so I could give you the actual price of the windows, but somehow I expect your insulated glass is going to be more spendy.

FWIW - I've always carried minimum deductible on "comprehensive" insurance. It costs about $35/year extra from $500 deductible on 2 cars. I paid $50. The insurance paid the rest. Comprehensive covers animals (deer), windshields, and theft. Almost everything except actual collisions.

BTW - the shop that did the glass - the owner was head of some regional glass-shops organization. He said last year in the SF bay area 38,000 windows were replaced due to break-ins. The theft who did mine took about $6 worth of crap. He missed entirely my good camera which was buried under some stuff in the drivers side rear foot-well.

The screen getting replaced waited until I was back in NJ - that was about another $500. Somehow it took longer to replace the screen (which had to be R&R'd to do the window-glass) then it did to do two doors on my car.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by CampDiablo
Where did you take your Cayenne in Bay Area? I have privacy glass on my Cayenne, and two drivers side windows cracked. The small one in front of the drivers side mirror and then the rear drivers side trunk window. I left the front one alone for years because they asked $1200 which seems absurd. I had a quote from satellite for $800 for the rear, but not sure I want a tech not familiar with Porsche.
Welcome to the Forum!

Glass Plus, 145 VanNess Ave, San Francisco. Wasn't real easy to spot the building, had to go around the block twice to find it, then parked on the sidewalk. Nice guys. Good price and workmanship. I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Insulated Glass? - Thief tried to break in