Sponsored By:

Question Dealer won't answer

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 11:35 AM
efoss99
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Dealer won't answer

In doing a "full major service" on my 2016 Cayenne S, the dealer appears to have mistakenly input everything as a GTS not an S.
I can't get back to the dealer that did the "service" (they also claimed to change oil but didn't) before mid August. Unfortunately, I picked up the car after hours and left immediately on a 1,200 mile trip.
I'm having issues with intermittent low end turbo boost. Like none after about 150 miles of interstate. Car can't keep 70mph on cruise control because it will not downshift on its own even in "sport".
My theory is that it isn't creating enough torque to signal the downshift. If I use paddles it maintains....
Finally my question: If they plugged into the computer and set everything to GTS specs, could that be causing my issues? They also did a 4 wheel alignment to GTS specs but it was the "Steel" GTS suspension which is likely same as the S steel suspension? The alignment seems fine so...but, point is they did an expensive "major service", cleared all the old faults etc but thought they were working on a GTS not an S. You'd think the input of the VIN would have found that error but evidently not. Dealer is completely unresponsive but it was 4th of July week so I'll cut them a tiny bit of slack.

Anybody have any idea whether the 2016 S & GTS use same spark plugs? The other engine settings etc must be a bit different. Same motor but different power band and boost pressures?
I'd like to know as much as possible before driving 2 hours to nearest dealer (from current location) next Wednesday.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2019, 01:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

This is a known problem with the dual turbo V6 engines. There is a software fix for it. What's happening is the knock sensors are too sensitive and dialing back boost unnecessarily. Tell them you want the fix. There are several threads on the subject here, a bit of searching should turn them up.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:33 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by efoss99
In doing a "full major service" on my 2016 Cayenne S, the dealer appears to have mistakenly input everything as a GTS not an S.
I can't get back to the dealer that did the "service" (they also claimed to change oil but didn't) before mid August. Unfortunately, I picked up the car after hours and left immediately on a 1,200 mile trip.
I'm having issues with intermittent low end turbo boost. Like none after about 150 miles of interstate. Car can't keep 70mph on cruise control because it will not downshift on its own even in "sport".
My theory is that it isn't creating enough torque to signal the downshift. If I use paddles it maintains....
Finally my question: If they plugged into the computer and set everything to GTS specs, could that be causing my issues? They also did a 4 wheel alignment to GTS specs but it was the "Steel" GTS suspension which is likely same as the S steel suspension? The alignment seems fine so...but, point is they did an expensive "major service", cleared all the old faults etc but thought they were working on a GTS not an S. You'd think the input of the VIN would have found that error but evidently not. Dealer is completely unresponsive but it was 4th of July week so I'll cut them a tiny bit of slack.

Anybody have any idea whether the 2016 S & GTS use same spark plugs? The other engine settings etc must be a bit different. Same motor but different power band and boost pressures?
I'd like to know as much as possible before driving 2 hours to nearest dealer (from current location) next Wednesday.
Thanks in advance!
How do you know they input as a GTS? Paperwork?

How do you know they didn't change the oil?

I'm sure the GTS/S thing won't make a difference on the way the car was serviced as the dealer service advisor inputs the type of car when you drop it off and the techs who actually work on it don't normally mess with the paperwork, except to add notes to it.

The loss of power is a known thing. Easy fix from the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
efoss99 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Had this done a month ago. Was terrible when it was happening. Always after 50 miles.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:43 AM
efoss99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
How do you know they input as a GTS? Paperwork?

How do you know they didn't change the oil?

I'm sure the GTS/S thing won't make a difference on the way the car was serviced as the dealer service advisor inputs the type of car when you drop it off and the techs who actually work on it don't normally mess with the paperwork, except to add notes to it.

The loss of power is a known thing. Easy fix from the dealer.
The paperwork lists my car as a GTS not an S.
I know they didn't change the oil because I always take a small sample of the old oil and a photo of the level before bringing car in. The "new" oil matched the "old" oil visually and the level was exactly the same as when I brought it in.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:49 AM
efoss99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
This is a known problem with the dual turbo V6 engines. There is a software fix for it. What's happening is the knock sensors are too sensitive and dialing back boost unnecessarily. Tell them you want the fix. There are several threads on the subject here, a bit of searching should turn them up.
Thanks, that's really helpful.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:52 AM
efoss99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Had this done a month ago. Was terrible when it was happening. Always after 50 miles.
Thanks. Really good to have this info before heading to dealer!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:48 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

S/GTS service is exactly the same...same spark plug etc. Only difference between the two is the engine is tune differently with GTS extra 20hp,
efoss99 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by efoss99
The paperwork lists my car as a GTS not an S.
I know they didn't change the oil because I always take a small sample of the old oil and a photo of the level before bringing car in. The "new" oil matched the "old" oil visually and the level was exactly the same as when I brought it in.
How did you take a sample of the old oil? And how were you measuring the oil level (the dash display is only accurate +/- 250cc's)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:49 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
How did you take a sample of the old oil? And how were you measuring the oil level (the dash display is only accurate +/- 250cc's)
Probably from the oil reservoir with the green and black cap... where do you think?!
deilenberger (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:59 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Green and black cap? I think my cap is just black and there is no oil on it or at least not enough to grab a sample from.

Also wondering why you wouldn't just confront the service department regarding this mishap. Maybe they just forgot. Could be an honest mistake.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:40 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Green and black cap? I think my cap is just black and there is no oil on it or at least not enough to grab a sample from.

Also wondering why you wouldn't just confront the service department regarding this mishap. Maybe they just forgot. Could be an honest mistake.
Pretty sure he was making a joke about mistaking the power steering reservoir for engine oil.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Damn, right over my head. Talk about buzzing the tower.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett376
Probably from the oil reservoir with the green and black cap... where do you think?!
Oh yeah - that one...

Quick Reply: Question Dealer won't answer