Sponsored By:

Durametric/ICarScan Tweaks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 01:24 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Durametric/ICarScan Tweaks?

Is it even possible? I know with VCDS I was able to enable certain features that my VW's and Audi's didn't have enabled by default for the NA market.

Examples: Wife's Q3 I was able to change the momentary turn signal blink from 3 to 5, show boost level on the MFD. My allroad had a 'green menu' that allowed parameters and features to be enabled in its MFD, cluster needle sweep, disabled front marker lights, did so much stuff I can't remember all of it.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:40 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

In a single word... NOPE. The Durametric is a pretty basic scanner/reader tool for the 958 series. It was much more useful on the 955's in terms of activating or coding certain features. I don't think they have any plans or ability to enhance the tool's features in the 958. Icarscan is also similar with no ability to code. Both are perfect for resetting maintenance intervals and reading live data.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:55 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
In a single word... NOPE. The Durametric is a pretty basic scanner/reader tool for the 958 series. It was much more useful on the 955's in terms of activating or coding certain features. I don't think they have any plans or ability to enhance the tool's features in the 958. Icarscan is also similar with no ability to code. Both are perfect for resetting maintenance intervals and reading live data.
Not even with the Professional version which allows coding?
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

nope
Old 06-26-2019, 02:16 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Not even with the Professional version which allows coding?
Not for the 958 series. Nothing!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Can the pirated PIWIS code things similar to VCDS or the BMW coding cables?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:30 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Durametric is gutless on Cayennes. If you get the Pro version with support for programming (which I had), very few things are available in the Durametric GUI. You theoretically could program more, but you have to do that via a command line with no guidance - in other words, you better be a VAG group software developer or forget about it.
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Can the pirated PIWIS code things similar to VCDS or the BMW coding cables?
Some things are available, like you can enable/disable beeps for alarm, trunk I believe. I've changed the number of turn signal blinks on 957. Minor stuff, yes, but be prepared to figure it all out on your own, as you will find almost no documentation available (need Porsche login for that). Keep in mind that you can brake things with a PIWIS rather easily by putting in the wrong configuration. You can fix them, too, but it's not a tool for people who have limited understanding of vehicles and CAN bus electrical systems, as it was meant to be used by trained Porsche techs who have step by step instructions from the factory on how to perform every operation.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
Durametric is gutless on Cayennes. If you get the Pro version with support for programming (which I had), very few things are available in the Durametric GUI. You theoretically could program more, but you have to do that via a command line with no guidance - in other words, you better be a VAG group software developer or forget about it.

Some things are available, like you can enable/disable beeps for alarm, trunk I believe. I've changed the number of turn signal blinks on 957. Minor stuff, yes, but be prepared to figure it all out on your own, as you will find almost no documentation available (need Porsche login for that). Keep in mind that you can brake things with a PIWIS rather easily by putting in the wrong configuration. You can fix them, too, but it's not a tool for people who have limited understanding of vehicles and CAN bus electrical systems, as it was meant to be used by trained Porsche techs who have step by step instructions from the factory on how to perform every operation.
Yeah, some of the earlier BMW coding cables were the same way. You could code out the nav disclaimer, seat belt chimes, enable windows up/down with the key fob and brick your entire car in just a few mouse clicks. Haha. I was hoping the PIWIS interface had something similar to ESYS with a list of functions with an akitv/nicht aktive selector.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:36 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I was hoping the PIWIS interface had something similar to ESYS with a list of functions with an akitv/nicht aktive selector.
It does, but the learning curve is very steep with a PIWIS. It's laid out reasonably well - there's a tab for error codes, live values, actuations, coding changes. But, there are dozens of modules, sometimes some changes require modification in multiple modules, sometimes things just don't make sense, etc. Factory manual tells the tech button by button what to press to perform this or that. With a bootleg PIWIS, you don't have access to that documentation, so it's all trial and error, and there's a lot of room for error. If you speak German, good for you, but the English menu translation was clearly done by developers, so some items make no sense. Neat tool, but kinda pricey, requires a dedicated laptop, and be prepared to spend hours going through menus to find what you want, if it's even there. Get a battery charger that can put out at least 20-30a in service mode or you'll drain the car battery.

Quick Reply: Durametric/ICarScan Tweaks?