Sponsored By:

2011 958 3.6L 6-speed Diagnose CEL + Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:00 AM
BoxerJoe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 958 3.6L 6-speed Diagnose CEL + Clutch

Hello! Currently I drive a 2011 Cayenne (958) 6-speed manual 3.6L (Auburn Metallic) for my daily-driver and I would like some advice on how to preform some maintenance/repairs.

With a CEL, I have a fluctuating idle between 1000-1300 rpm when warm, and I also hear whining sounds that fluctuate for a minute or so when idling cold. No fluctuation whilst driving, and for some reason it ceases when A/C is on full blast. I scanned it with a Durametric tool and had some fault codes pop-up for the engine module(codes also in picture): P050700, P218900, P218700.1. Does anyone know what could be triggering these faults, and how to fix this/ what parts I will need?

I also have an issue with my clutch. It has a hesitation when engaging and when engaged. When I hit the throttle, the RPMs rise then settle, followed by the feeling of the clutch *grabbing/accelerating. Would this be an entire clutch assembly replacement or can a component be swapped? Or is it a different issue entirely? Are there any aftermarket resources for these types of parts?(Parts that can be chosen to fit ones driving style/habits)

The car is at 111,000miles and definitely needs oil change and new brake pads soon, but I wanted to ask: What maintenance procedures should be preformed at this stage? I'm very inexperienced with these cars but I love mine and plan to keep it for a long time. But it will definitely require some much MUCH needed TLC and upkeep. I appreciate any help I can get.

-Thanks

Dura Fault Codes

Old 06-26-2019, 01:58 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nobody will be able to provide a definitive response to your trouble code question because it could be any number of things. In short, it appears you have a leak (or a combination of leaks) in the system. Even a tiny one is detected by the car's diagnostic system. It'll take some investigating to get to the bottom of it unless there's an obvious disconnected or loose hose somewhere that you personally see. Here's a reasonable list a qualified mechanic should investigate:

- intake pipe leaks
- positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) leak
- faulty throttle adjusting unit
- fuel tank cap loose or doesn't close fully
- tank cap leaks
- vacuum system leak
- faulty vacuum pump
- faulty tank vent valve
Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 PM
BoxerJoe
AutoX

Perfect! I should rephrase, I was looking for a good place to start. I'll start checking these components. -Thank you
Old 06-27-2019, 12:05 AM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Why would the clutch already be worn out at only 111,000 miles? Does the primary driver rest their foot on the pedal? Use the clutch to hold the vehicle on inclines instead of using the brakes?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:29 AM
BoxerJoe
AutoX

I bought it at 107,000 so who knows what it went through before me. Other than a few techs, I've been the only driver. The only explanation I can think of is I use engine breaking all the time and its a hefty vehicle.
Any suggestions/thoughts on the most likely part to be replaced? Does anyone have experience with these manual 958 variations?
Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 AM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

The whining sounds could be the SAI (secondary air induction) pump. From previous car experiences, those normally don't die but can if your EGR is shot. If it's the SAI, just changing it without dealing with the EGR is a temporary fix.

IIRC, PCV (or AOS) on this engine is under the valve cover, driver side, towards the cabin. The breather hose is just to the side.

Quick Reply: 2011 958 3.6L 6-speed Diagnose CEL + Clutch