958 3.6L Anatomy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 12:16 AM
BoxerJoe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 958 3.6L Anatomy

Hi.
Does anyone by chance have any recommendations for further understanding the anatomy of a 958 3.6L VR6 w/manual transmission? I have a version of a "shop manual," but I'm curious if there is anything else out there that could help me preform some maintenance, without flying blind if you know what I mean.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Cayennes are relatively rare so you're stuck with that shop manual, internet searches (same gen Q7 and Tuareg are similar, there are drivetrain similarities with the 955/957) and this forum.

As for your maintenance, since you're at 110K, some suggestions:
- Change the engine oil, filter, air filter, cabin filters. Check the AC drain line while you're doing the cabin filter.
- Clean the cowl drains, left and right. Got to remove the front wheel liners for this. Plugged cowl drains can cause all sorts of problems.
- Flush the transmission, all diffs and especially the transfer case. This is probably past due at 110K if it was never done.
- Flush the brakes. This is very similar to other cars with Brembo brakes so you can use a diy from the 911s.
- Change the spark plugs if that wasn't done in the last 40K. Same with the accessory belt. Both are super easy.
- Take a peek at the cooling system (water pump, thermostat, flange). Service them if they're leaky. Depending on whether the coolant was flushed at any point, you may want to do that given the has has 110K.

Did I forget something?

I'll make some DIYs on the weekend as even our oil change DIY could be better.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbv1:
BoxerJoe (06-27-2019), Eskimo1 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:50 AM
BoxerJoe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! This helps tremendously. I have some busy weeks and weekends for a little while, but I'm hoping I can start chipping at these things soon. I drained the cowls not too long ago, but it would be a good idea to clear them again; some interesting smells tend to occur. Do you know of any sources to study the manual transmission on these and or what transmission designs are similar? I will more than likely have to crack it open soon. Which I'd prefer to do myself, but I will take it to someone if absolutely necessary.

-Thank you, I really appreciate your help

Quick Reply: 958 3.6L Anatomy