Inner door panel bulged out

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Davide Grilli
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Davide - welcome to the forum.

I don't think this has happened on enough Cayennes to really say, and the few that it has happened to probably were out of warranty.

I do know this is awfully common on the 981 series (Boxster/Cayman) - and it seems to be up to the dealer. Some dismiss it as "cosmetic" others get right on it and replace the panels (they are quite costly - like $3000+ for both door panels). I think appealing to Porsche Cars North-America might result in some satisfaction..

But if you are thinking of a Cayenne and concerned with this - I've been here about 10-12 years, and the instances in this thread are the only time I've heard of this happening.
Thank you very much
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 274 Likes on 131 Posts

Baking it in the California sun is certainly a good test, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Hot sun, (UV rays) will shrink leather and once it shrinks the chance of getting back the lost coverage is next to nil.
Removing the piece from the panel and soaking in leather nutrients will change the texture, color and have very limited effect of bringing it back to the original size.
I know this from experience and have seen it tried numerous times over the years.

Porsche had serious issues with shrinking leather for years.
I've replaced shrunken leather on many, many Porsche cars over the years, from 356s all the way up to 997s and GT3s.
That's not to say all Porsche leather has shrunk. Leather that is cared for with regular treatments, and less sun light exposure will last for many years.

I think later cars 2005+ have some better UV protection coatings that previous years.
IMO I think the protective coatings on some of these later model cars may have been removed by excessive cleaning or the use of harsh chemicals, which then allowed the sun to do its work.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:15 AM
rkcorp
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Davide - welcome to the forum.

I don't think this has happened on enough Cayennes to really say, and the few that it has happened to probably were out of warranty.

I do know this is awfully common on the 981 series (Boxster/Cayman) - and it seems to be up to the dealer. Some dismiss it as "cosmetic" others get right on it and replace the panels (they are quite costly - like $3000+ for both door panels). I think appealing to Porsche Cars North-America might result in some satisfaction..

But if you are thinking of a Cayenne and concerned with this - I've been here about 10-12 years, and the instances in this thread are the only time I've heard of this happening.
It’s happened to my passenger side 2013 Cayenne. Espresso leather at the top part of the panel. An unexpected hassle. Haven’t taken it to the dealer yet. Hoping they’ll offer some sort of courtesy repair. If not, looks like I’ll be headed to a German upholstery shop.

edit: ps. same week my drivers side sun visor also broke.

Last edited by rkcorp; 08-27-2021 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-08-2021, 03:06 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

3 of my doors are like that. Remove the inner door panel (takes less than 10 min per door to remove). I used loctite spray adhesive 300 heavy. Glue them back on and clamp them down. Let dry a few hours and reinstall.
The following users liked this post:
rkcorp (09-12-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:09 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Just like someone mentioned above all 3 doors had 0 adhesive from factory....I guess they are molded in that shape and heat/time makes them bulge? either that or factory forgot to spray adhesive in that area. Driver door is fine so haven't removed to see what it looks like
The following users liked this post:
rkcorp (09-12-2021)
Old 08-06-2024, 02:13 PM
Munkustrap
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am now having this issue with my 2016 Cayenne Diesel. Everything was OK while I was in Montana, but within 3 months of moving to Arizona, the "pucker" next to the glass began. Went to a (good) indy shop - their solution was to replace the entire door panel - $2,880 PER DOOR. Did some digging.... It seems that the EU (and CA) "green" anti-VOC initiatives have hit Porsche - they actually used an environmentally friendly NON-VOC water-based adhesive between the plastic and the trim material. Obvious de-bonding of the surfaces, as if there had been no glue placed. Permanent solution is to remove the panel, use a SOLVENT BASED adhesive (3M 4477 Plastic Adhesive $26 on Amazon). Glue it up with multiple clamps and bolsters and let set 24h - reported to be a permanent solution to the issue. ( After doing this I showed it to the indy and they just shrugged and said,... "Oh well...) Parts changers vs technicians. Although I generally enjoy DIY, it is getting to the point that I have to undertake just about all repairs to avoid being skewered.
Old 08-06-2024, 03:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Munkustrap
"Oh well...) Parts changers vs technicians. Although I generally enjoy DIY, it is getting to the point that I have to undertake just about all repairs to avoid being skewered.
You do the math on how that indy shop needs to operate. The labor to do that, at their going rate, is likely going to be MORE than most customers would be willing to pay.

I seem to recall there's someone here in the forums that does door card fixes. Pedro's? Don't know if they do Cayenne door cards. Might be worth asking. https://www.pedrosgarage.com/
Old 08-07-2024, 01:21 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 477 Posts

see here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19564556
Old 08-07-2024, 02:51 PM
YogaYoghurt
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Pedros Garage can fix them for $400-600 per panel.

I'm dealing with this on my driver panel. Problem is the plastic of the panel is also warped due to heat. I've clamped, heated with a heat gun, and use 1min 3M epoxy, and I'm still not happy with the solution. There's still a gap. Ended up buying a used panel on ebay that's also separating but doesn't appear to be warped. Full leather w/burmester isn't the easiest to find
Old 08-07-2024, 09:38 PM
coletrain
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

2013 CD and my passengers door is doing it. Gonna DIY glue /clamp when the weather is better
Old 08-11-2024, 10:51 PM
rich022
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Repaired mine last summer using 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive, part # 08115. Bonds like no other. followed the DIY Clamp method. Still holding strong in this Houston heat.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:04 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll be sending my passenger panel to pedro soon
Old 09-04-2024, 09:27 AM
carsandcapp
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

It's my turn now with this issue. Front passenger door top is fighting with the window movement. Visiting the local dealer today for an unrelated item. i will inquire about a courtesy fix. If not, I will go down the DIY route.
Old 09-04-2024, 12:00 PM
Malmenator
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by carsandcapp
It's my turn now with this issue. Front passenger door top is fighting with the window movement. Visiting the local dealer today for an unrelated item. i will inquire about a courtesy fix. If not, I will go down the DIY route.
Highly doubt, they'll do a courtesy fix, they'll quote you thousands for a new panel.

If you go to a reputable car upholstery spot, and explain what needs to be done (they have adhesives too), that's a good option as well. I got my driver side panel done during my lunch hour for $200 at a spot close to my work.

Quick Reply: Inner door panel bulged out