Sponsored By:

Water in driver's footwell...wasn't the drain cowl behind wheel fender

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:26 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Water in driver's footwell...wasn't the drain cowl behind wheel fender

So this morning, after stepping on the gas to pass someone, I felt like 10 drops of water hit my ankle. It hasn't rained in a few weeks but I did wash the car about 7 days ago so assume it was water from then.

So I read these forums and saw that most dealt with water in the passenger footwell. So I think that ruled out the HVAC overflow. I figured it must have been the cowl drain on the drivers side. So I took the 10mm nut out and the 4 screws in the wheel-well and removed the wheel-well fender. I found the rubber cowl drain by the purple line and took it out....it was bone dry and a few leaves but nothing of note. So I removed the leaves and put it back.

I sprayed water on both sides of the windshield and saw water draining down on both sides where the rubber cowl drain is.

I also got down by the footwell and looked / felt all around there and felt no wetness. I do smell a slight mildewy smell though which can't be good.

Now I ask where else would I search that would be the root cause of water in the driver's footwell? Is there another drain cowl on the drivers side? Any help would be appreciated!!

TIA

Last edited by g8tor20; 06-03-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

IIRC - there are two cowl drains on each side. I believe one of our DIY's has photos of them. Also possible a sunroof drain is plugged up and water is running down the A pillar..
Old 06-04-2019, 06:41 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Hey Don,

Appreciate the response. I did look through the DIY and only saw the cowl drain behind the wheel liner. I didn't see another Cowl drain thread anywhere and would appreciate any help finding it. I even looked through youtube videos and seems like the one behind the wheel liner is the one most illustrate.

I did see the A Pillar sunroof one and the HVAC one on the passenger side. Just having a had time finding where this water is at...but there is definitely a mildew smell so I need to keep looking or take it to the dealer here soon.

Thanks again
Old 06-04-2019, 08:28 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

G8tor20- i wonder if the water u felt on drivers sidd was also from the AC drain- mine was so totally full of water i wonder if it could also be your issue also tho i only had water on pass side, not drivers. I'd check the AC drain to be sure its flowing. My AC drain line was totally clogged up & not draining at all- I found the DIY for clearning AC drain but couldn't get the clamp off the hose so took it to dealer - asked for fix of AC drain, Cowl drain & sunroof drains. They said they slightly cut off the bottom of the rubber from AC drain when there are issues so it drains fully, they also removed the rubber Cowl drains as there is just the hole there now.Not sure what they did to clean out sunroof drains- maybe blowing air?? My AC drain is now flowing as i always see water coming from under car on passenger side when its on with AC.

Not sure if water on drivers side is AC drain issue but i'd ck it out if u've not already.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Thanks. Appreciate the response.

Was hoping not to disassemble that but perhaps I need to. I actually was able to get more to come out by another hard acceleration and looks like it coming from the middle. See picture.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

That does look like it's coming from the HVAC box. Have you checked for water dripping under the car when the HVAC is on? In Florida I suspect you have enough humidity that it will really flow.. the drain is on the right side, but I can imagine some water sloshing over to the left on hard acceleration or cornering, and if your pollen filter door is well sealed, it might do that.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:18 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

HVAC overflow confirmed! Passenger side under the carpet was pretty wet. So I used the DIY and helped me clean the thing. “Bastard clamp” indeed! A lot of water came out. Ordered a new filter as it was soaked. So now starts the drying process!

Anyways, I wanted to update this in case someone down the road has this issue. So, when driving spirited, if you feel water on drivers side, it could very well be the HVAC overflow from passenger side. Go figure!

Thanks to you both for helping!

Quick Reply: Water in driver's footwell...wasn't the drain cowl behind wheel fender