Sponsored By:

Ceramic Wax / coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ceramic Wax / coating

Anybody tried the do it yourself ceramic coatings and is it really better than wax?

I was looking at the Avalon King Armor shield for example but $100+ and last 6 months is it really any better than the Meguirs wax for $10 that I do every 6 months and seems to last very well?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike41
Anybody tried the do it yourself ceramic coatings and is it really better than wax?

I was looking at the Avalon King Armor shield for example but $100+ and last 6 months is it really any better than the Meguirs wax for $10 that I do every 6 months and seems to last very well?

Thanks,

Mike
I can't answer your specific question about DIY ceramic coatings, but do some research on Ultima Paint Guard Plus. It's not ceramic, but a nano technology paint sealant that performs the exact same function. It's very easy to apply, and is rated to last 6 months as well. If you research the product online if gets fantastic reviews. It's mentioned in many enthusiast forums, and there are some comparisons to ceramic coatings by folks that have used both. I've been extremely pleased with it, and I've used MANY wax/polish/coatings over the years, some costing well over $100. This stuff is nowhere near $100 and is pretty incredible.....shine/depth, durability, great protection, ease of application. I'll never do those multi-step products that take all day to apply ever again, waste of time IMO. Paint protection technology has advanced.

Got mine here...... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/100.html
Old 05-24-2019, 03:03 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

^^do you just use that after a wash and dry?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:59 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
^^do you just use that after a wash and dry?
Yes. I use it as well. Very easy and works well.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Prep is more important than the final product. So, that means a proper wash, clay, wash, paint correction, wash/alcohol, and then taping. All this before you apply a nano coating/wax/sealant product.

The problem with many of the retail nano coatings is that they are watered down versions of the stuff they only sell to the pros.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:30 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've used the ultima paint guard plus coating on my previous 911 for many yrs- had a cobalt blue 07 911T, & silver 02 911 for yrs- gone now- UPGP it was great, easy to apply & lasted very well with as long as paint was prepped. Just got a metallic black '15 CTT few months ago- paint was polished but rough feeling with some swirls- last weekend polished it with buffer using griotts correcting cream- then applied 2 coats of Ultimate Paint Guard Plus over 2 days. Now looks very nice & its smooth-
the ULPG is so easy to apply- Just follow directions & don't use too much- Can put it everywhere, including glass, trim etc. Also the company is great to deal with- I had 2 large bottles that i bought many yrs ago during a sale & the spray top was leaking & not spraying correctly- called them few yrs ago & they sent me new upgraded spray tops for the bottles at no cost.
Before using the UPGP i used Zaino products, Blackfire etc- still like Zaino but the UPGP is just so easy to use over any well prepped car & keeps it looking good for months- On 911s & put it on every 3-4 months after a wash & only took 10 minutes to so to wipe it in well & car looked great .
Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I just got a bottle of ExoForma ceramic spray. Looks great and feels great so far. Washed one car a week after putting it on and it came clean very easily. I did 3 coats on 1 car, and 2 coats on another.
Used to wax then went to a sealant, now trying that stuff, so far I like it the best.

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2019, 08:17 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using Aerolon's Tech Shine on several vehicles, boats, motorcycles, etc. I won't use anything else as there is no need IMO. You only use 2 OZ or so per large vehicle. Obviously, you get a better result if the vehicle already or has been kept in a good state of prep (Cayenne & Viper). I used it on my black Jeep Commander Limited that is my beater and has never been waxed with great result. This stuff also makes your trim and even my clear bra on the Viper like new. Watch their video. Very easy to apply during the final rinse stage. Highly recommended and I've been in the Automotive Paint business for many years. Nothing will beat clay, Meguiar's 105, 205 (or equivalent) wax, sealant, etc. Tech Shine will suffice down the road for me.

My next step is to prep the truck and keep it looking good with Tech Shine.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:12 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the Cayenne coated professionally, and have been using hydrosilex on the GT3 that has a full wrap. No need spending all that money to coat plastic. Also use the hydrosilex on our HRV. It seems to bead up nicely for at least 4 months, and I now use it as a topcoat on the Cayenne also
Old 05-25-2019, 07:59 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 159 Posts

I have always detailed my own cars. I used Zymol wax for many years. Now i use a ceramic coating. I've used two others, but I really like Gyeon's Can Coat. Gyeon primarily makes professional products, but Can Coat is there do it yourself coating. I put my second application on today. I washed and used a wet synthetic clay bar. Then I used a little polish (orbital polisher) here and there. I put Gyeon's Prep on to clean the paint and ready it for the coating. Although it is a "consumer" version, it is still a serious ceramic coating. Make sure to spray it away from the car onto the microfiber towel. If not, the coating can have an "overspray affect" on your car. It's just a wipe it on and in, with a second microfiber wipe to make sure it is all dry. You can end there, but I wait an hour and put their Cure product on top of it to accelerate the curing process. It is supposed to last six months, but if you add Cure after you wash (you can spray Cure onto the wet paint before you dry or spray ti on and wipe after), it stretches the life of the coating longer. Another point about it being a real ceramic coating is that if you don't rinse out the pump head afterward (unscrew it from the bottle, put it in warm water and pump for a while), the pump head dries up like a rock, and is not usable. I found this out the hard wa, but they send two pump heads. There are plenty of good coating products out there. After research, I decided on this brand.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2011 CD just got back from a detailing shop, where it had ceramic coating done. Totally worth it!

Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 238 Posts

That looks amazing.... Where did you have it done?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've done it here locally in Poland, buy any detailing shop will do it.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Wax / coating