Sponsored By:

Won't shift a few stops after start

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 PM
awaschka
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Won't shift a few stops after start

OK, I live in Florida. It's not cold, probably over 80 degrees. I start up, back out of my driveway, drive a mile or two with some stops for stop signs. Then suddenly when pulling away from a stoplight, the car will not shift out of 3rd. I'm not sure, but I think I looked down and neither shift light (auto or manual) was illuminated. I tried putting the shift lever in M and the back to Auto but that didn't work. I hit the downshift paddle and then put the shift lever in manual and back to auto and it got well.

I'm accustomed to it not shifting initially when it is cold, but it wasn't cold and it shifted above 3rd a couple of times before it refused to shift. No MIL. Any ideas?

I have an ICarSoft Por V2. Anything I can look for?

Thanks,
Old 05-26-2019, 12:54 PM
awaschka
Rennlist Member

It did it again today and I pad more attention. It appears it is the normal warmup lockout for gears above 3rd. I am just surprised that it happens in Miami in May with temps in the 80s.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:19 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

So are we saying that your transmission fluid is getting too hot. Maybe a change of the is a good place to start, if that's the case.

Also, does this car have a transmission adaptation procedure? google that and maybe that will help.

Keep us posted. Sorry I don't have more to give.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:14 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm guessing your CD has had the fix applied.

The not shifting out of 3rd below 35mph is part of the fix and is engine/transmission temp related, not outside air temp related. At 35mph it will, reluctantly, shift to 4th and then shift normally.

Perfectly normal and programmed in as part of the emissions fix. Perhaps not likeable, but normal.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:53 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

That sucks!
Old 05-28-2019, 02:54 PM
awaschka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
I'm guessing your CD has had the fix applied.

The not shifting out of 3rd below 35mph is part of the fix and is engine/transmission temp related, not outside air temp related. At 35mph it will, reluctantly, shift to 4th and then shift normally.

Perfectly normal and programmed in as part of the emissions fix. Perhaps not likeable, but normal.
Thanks! Yes, I bought it CPO so the fix was applied. The weird thing is it doesn't do it consistently, at least not that I have been able to tell. I'll try to watch the engine temps to see for sure, but I know some mornings it does it and some it doesn't and the engine temps shouldn't be that different.

Al
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

If you accelerate briskly past 35mph, it'll move beyond that limit and be relatively normal, if "reluctant" in its shifting behavior.

Quick Reply: Won't shift a few stops after start