Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Certified 2017 Cayenne - Thoughts?

Old 05-24-2019, 01:17 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by thehaviet
That's a great point. Certainly, once you search nationally or even regionally; there will be better deals to be had. I am on the fence about purchasing a used car, sight unseen.

You had no concerns or issues purchasing a used vehicle without seeing it in person or test driving it?
No, we paid $250 for a local indy mechanic who was highly recommended in the Porsche community to pick the car up, take it to his garage, and spend 2 hours going over it in much more detail than I could ever hope to do. He gave it a thorough mechanical inspection, checked fluids, did a test drive, took a florescent lamp to the paint job (and found a couple old bumps painted over)...he actually also used the car fax to call the two previous Porsche dealerships that had serviced the car (he knew people at both of them) and got details on everything that had been done to it. Also was able to help me negotiate a little better with a couple things he found.

That is so much more peace of mind than me taking a car for a test drive. As far as options go, you can run the VIN through vinanalytics.com and see the build sheet and you know what the car has and doesn't have.

Have done the same thing with 2 Audis also.

That being said, you can still work a deal regionally and get everything set up, then fly up to test drive and sign the papers at the end. In your year range/price range, you are going to be talking about a CPO vehicle anyway it sounds like, so you'll have that further peace of mind.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
No, we paid $250 for a local indy mechanic who was highly recommended in the Porsche community to pick the car up, take it to his garage, and spend 2 hours going over it in much more detail than I could ever hope to do. He gave it a thorough mechanical inspection, checked fluids, did a test drive, took a florescent lamp to the paint job (and found a couple old bumps painted over)...he actually also used the car fax to call the two previous Porsche dealerships that had serviced the car (he knew people at both of them) and got details on everything that had been done to it. Also was able to help me negotiate a little better with a couple things he found.

That is so much more peace of mind than me taking a car for a test drive. As far as options go, you can run the VIN through vinanalytics.com and see the build sheet and you know what the car has and doesn't have.

Have done the same thing with 2 Audis also.

That being said, you can still work a deal regionally and get everything set up, then fly up to test drive and sign the papers at the end. In your year range/price range, you are going to be talking about a CPO vehicle anyway it sounds like, so you'll have that further peace of mind.

Sounds like you found a great indy guy to help check out the car for you. It's def 250 well spent.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:33 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Found a 2015 Cayenne S locally with 30k listing at $50k. Originally MSRP was $87k

Here are the options.

BASECayenne S
1BZPorsche Active Suspension Managemement (PASM)
1NPWheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
1XGHeated Multifunction Sport Steering Wheel in Dark Walnut
2TJet Black Metallic
4A3Seat Heating (Front)
4D3Seat Ventilation (Front)
7Y1Lane Change Assist (LCA)
9VLBose® Surround Sound System
MCStandard Interior in Luxor Beige
PE5Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
PH9Dark Walnut Interior Package incl. Gear Selector
PJAInfotainment Package w/o HD Radio
PJCPremium Package
U0019" Cayenne Turbo Wheels

Would you go for the 2015 S, or the 2017 Platinum (Base)? Same pricing.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:52 PM
lacibaci
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I just picked up the same (2017 Platinum Ed) for $39000 (in OH) 40000 miles.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I love my 2017 Cayenne S -- well except for the fact that it now has to go in for a new transfer case -- so NO they have not fixed the issue for the 2017s. It is still under warranty so it isn't going to cost me anything but it is a PITA anyway. I've had mine for a little over 2 years -- actually bought it in Feb of 2017 used with CPO - so my price point won't mean anything for you.

Other than the new TC issue it has been a great car! Not as much fun as my Cab but I still drive it way more than the Cab since it is more DD friendly.....
Old 05-24-2019, 02:05 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Originally Posted by lacibaci
I just picked up the same (2017 Platinum Ed) for $39000 (in OH) 40000 miles.

Awesome. Congrats. How you like it so far?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:08 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Originally Posted by mikeearly
I love my 2017 Cayenne S -- well except for the fact that it now has to go in for a new transfer case -- so NO they have not fixed the issue for the 2017s. It is still under warranty so it isn't going to cost me anything but it is a PITA anyway. I've had mine for a little over 2 years -- actually bought it in Feb of 2017 used with CPO - so my price point won't mean anything for you.

Other than the new TC issue it has been a great car! Not as much fun as my Cab but I still drive it way more than the Cab since it is more DD friendly.....
Thanks for sharing. What exactly is TC? How long is the fix? Are we talking about days, weeks at the dealership for fixing? Any long term issues with it?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:38 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for sharing. What exactly is TC? How long is the fix? Are we talking about days, weeks at the dealership for fixing? Any long term issues with it?

TC = Transfer Case issue. Its a common recurring failure on all of the Cayenne models of this generation. Yes @ days or weeks at the dealership. $4,000-ish fix but covered under CPO or an extended warranty with power train coverage.

The long term issue is that some people continually have to replace their TC. Some people have 100,000 miles+ with no problem.

There MAY be a fix = changing the TC oil annually with your regular oil change seems to have kept the problem at bay for those that have tried it. The TC oil per Porsche is lifetime, but apparently it should not be!

See the sticky at the top of the board on the transfer case issue.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:48 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

TC = Transfer Case issue. Its a common recurring failure on all of the Cayenne models of this generation. Yes @ days or weeks at the dealership. $4,000-ish fix but covered under CPO or an extended warranty with power train coverage.

The long term issue is that some people continually have to replace their TC. Some people have 100,000 miles+ with no problem.

There MAY be a fix = changing the TC oil annually with your regular oil change seems to have kept the problem at bay for those that have tried it. The TC oil per Porsche is lifetime, but apparently it should not be!

Thanks. I'll research it more.

I absolutely hate having my cars at the dealership for repairs. Fortunately, our Audis had been doing pretty well over the years. Nothing more than regular maintenance.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps it's just me, but pre-LCI PCM looks to me as outdated as one in my former 2008 Benz E-class. I was pretty shocked to when I saw one in a 2013 Cayenne.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:19 PM
lacibaci
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Awesome. Congrats. How you like it so far?
Very nice. I traded for 10 year old XC90 so it is like a space ship. I am still reading 400+ page manual
Old 05-24-2019, 04:27 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Originally Posted by zamorskii
Perhaps it's just me, but pre-LCI PCM looks to me as outdated as one in my former 2008 Benz E-class. I was pretty shocked to when I saw one in a 2013 Cayenne.

What were the major differences?

When did the PCM update happen? Which model year? 2016? 2017?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:09 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

2017 was the upgrade year for the PCM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 PM
bukit
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

According to a tech I spoke with replacing the transfer case is a two hour job. The only reason it would be days or weeks at the dealership would be a parts delay.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by bukit
According to a tech I spoke with replacing the transfer case is a two hour job. The only reason it would be days or weeks at the dealership would be a parts delay.
The higher volume dealers keep a TC in stock in the parts department.
They'll install it while you wait.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Certified 2017 Cayenne - Thoughts?