Blackstone Oil Report Repository -Cayenne Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 PM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Blackstone Oil Report Repository -Cayenne Transfer Case

Cayenne Community-

For greater visibility, and to hopefully further the development of preventative maintenance before a repair/replacement becomes necessary I elected to create a google doc to share blackstone reports from used transfer case oil.
Blackstone Report From Cayenne Transfer Case Oil

Please consider sending your used oil for analysis- Here is a link to get a free test kit, the cost is still 28$ for the actual analysis.
Blackstone Labs Free Test Kit

I opened up public commenting of this spreadsheet - as people add their values as comments I will periodically enter them as accepted values. If you would like to suggest changes/improvements to this please PM me.

Thanks,

P.S. Please keep this thread solely on the topic of gathering data- there are plenty of other threads to bitch about these failures.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:29 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I'm guessing they had no comments on it? The obvious standouts are the iron and aluminum. That to me points to metal from the actual clutch pack (steel plates and an aluminum housing). Due to the design some wear can be expected - how much is too much is the question. Perhaps if a few more people sent samples in for testing Blackstone can start keeping a running total for the numbers so we can see if any are far out of expected norms. One test that would be VERY interested would be oil from a failed transfer case... comparing that analysis to one from a known good case would probably tell us a lot about what's happening.

I noticed "water" was 0% - which is a very good thing IMHO. Do you live in a dry climate? Or drive the Cayenne on extended highway speeds (which would heat the oil hot enough to evaporate off any water in the oil..)?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:40 PM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'm guessing they had no comments on it? The obvious standouts are the iron and aluminum. That to me points to metal from the actual clutch pack (steel plates and an aluminum housing). Due to the design some wear can be expected - how much is too much is the question. Perhaps if a few more people sent samples in for testing Blackstone can start keeping a running total for the numbers so we can see if any are far out of expected norms. One test that would be VERY interested would be oil from a failed transfer case... comparing that analysis to one from a known good case would probably tell us a lot about what's happening.

I noticed "water" was 0% - which is a very good thing IMHO. Do you live in a dry climate? Or drive the Cayenne on extended highway speeds (which would heat the oil hot enough to evaporate off any water in the oil..)?
Thanks for bringing up the "notes" section... I overlooked adding that to the google doc. it's there now.
Here is what they had to say:
Aluminum and iron stand out for your Porsche's t-case. To some degree, that's expected since this is the first oil change. Material left over from the break-in process plus normal accumulation over the past 69,700 miles accounts for some of the metal, but we aren't sure if it can account for all of it. Aluminum andiron are quite high, and could still show excess wear at aluminum and steel parts respectively. Chrome could be related -- an alloy in steel. Silicon is likely harmless lubes/sealers that'll wash out. If all's well, resample in ~25K miles, the average interval.

To your point about the water content- I was surprised to see it at "0" I assumed that there would be some as I drove through a lot of heavy, deep, wet snow this past winter... that said this was a California car before I bought it last Fall, and I do live in the high desert of Reno, NV where it is pretty dry; I also do mainly highway driving.

Now we just need some other people to sample their oil to build up a better understanding. Maybe a Moderator could move this thread to right below the other sticky transfer case ones?
Old 05-06-2019, 11:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
Now we just need some other people to sample their oil to build up a better understanding. Maybe a Moderator could move this thread to right below the other sticky transfer case ones?
I'll think about that - but the forum post order isn't actually changeable manually (I can't say put X below Y) - the order is set to the latest posting being first in line. Ditto on even stickies.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Oil Report Repository -Cayenne Transfer Case