Sponsored By:

Cayenne vs GMC Sierra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 09:26 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Cayenne vs GMC Sierra?

I’ve had a GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L for a little over two years and it’s been great. Comfy quiet reliable attractive and efficient. I’m not a truck guy but I broke down and bought it a couple years ago to tow a track car. It’s also very useful for throwing in the family’s bikes and hauling tires and car parts around. But it just turned 80k miles today and I’m not only getting a bit bored with the pick up thing i am also tiring of how it (and any body on frame truck) drives. A Cayenne is really the only possible alternative IMO. I need room for 5 and the ability to tow a car hauler. And it has to drive like a tight performance sedan or I’ll just stick to pickups.

Am I opening myself up to a world of maintenance and expensive service intervals? Living with a GMC has allowed me to dollar cost avg my air cooled cars expenses. My GMC has accumulated 80k miles in 22 months. And I don’t see my driving frequency changing much. FWIW I’m thinking a 2011 or newer with around 60k miles. I’d never buy a new one with the miles I put on due to the wicked depreciation these things experience.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

You want an suv that drives like a tight performance vehicle and tow a car hauler? not gonna happen. the cayenne drives ok for an suv but it does not drive like a performance sedan.

Repair costs will be much, much higher.

Honestly, the cayenne is probably the most sporting larger suv, but for all around suv, i dont think you can beat a land cruiser/lx570
Old 04-28-2019, 10:32 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You want an suv that drives like a tight performance vehicle and tow a car hauler? not gonna happen. the cayenne drives ok for an suv but it does not drive like a performance sedan.

Honestly, the cayenne is probably the most sporting larger suv, but for all around suv, i dont think you can beat a land cruiser/lx570
i’ve seen some reviews that describe it as tight and solid and sporty so I guess it’s all relative. I could never stay interested in a land cruiser and they are ponderous at best

Last edited by nowata; 04-28-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Whats your idea of a performance sedan? I just came from a Lexus is350 f sport. My Cayenne S is faster and handles better than the is350.

Repairs will definitely cost more with 40k miles per year.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:41 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Whats your idea of a performance sedan? I just came from a Lexus is350 f sport. My Cayenne S is faster and handles better than the is350.

Repairs will definitely cost more with 40k miles per year.
LOL. A SUV with a HCG handles better than a sedan statement. A whole lotta Kook Aid has been drunk..
Old 04-29-2019, 01:06 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,770 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
LOL. A SUV with a HCG handles better than a sedan statement. A whole lotta Kook Aid has been drunk..
Yes, mt CTT will smoke many sedans. PDCC and PTV, Bu bye.

Op, if you want a great handling SUV, then the Cayenne is tops, There isn't another SUv out there that can compare. I have Cayenne twin Turbo with Dynamic chassis control and torque vectoring. The vehicle handles like it's on rails. to give you some perspective, I also have a 2008 Audi RS4 and a 997 GT3, so no need to take this with a grain of salt. These things handle like no tomorrow. Amazing.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:09 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

Op, if you want a great handling SUV, then the Cayenne is tops, There isn't another SUv out there that can compare. I have Cayenne twin Turbo with Dynamic chassis control and torque vectoring. The vehicle handles like it's on rails. to give you some perspective, I also have a 2008 Audi RS4 and a 997 GT3, so no need to take this with a grain of salt. These things handle like no tomorrow. Amazing.
for me it would be an S or diesel

I had a diesel loaner which was disappointing so maybe the S

tt is not in the cards
Old 04-29-2019, 01:15 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Love the 964! Had the pleasure of driving one, no end to fun with that engine.

Like others suggest, Cayennes are pretty awesome, especially considering it's an SUV.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 AM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I split my time between an Ecoboost F-150 limited, a Cayenne Diesel and a Giulia Quad. I think you will be happy with the Cayenne, as it falls somewhere in between the other two for fun to drive factor. If you go with the Cayenne, get the diesel for the warranty, towing and fuel efficiency, which will greatly reduce any out of pocket expenses you would otherwise encounter for sometime. I do think you will miss the utility, comfort and carrying capacity of the truck. At this point, we do almost all our family trips with the truck just for these reasons. I will say the Ecoboost with 275/45-22 performance truck tires actually handles quite well compared to some other trucks I have driven, but I have no direct experience with the Sierra.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Either you must be used to driving Maserati’s or you haven’t driven a Cayenne over the base model.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:11 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We have a 2500 Ram Laramie, GEN IV Dodge Viper, Jeep Commander Hemi Limited, and a 2012 Cayenne S. Each has their place. IMHO you'll miss the utility of the truck when you don't have one. The Cayenne S tows well. I have an aluminum 24' ATC trailer for the Viper track events that I don't drive it to. The S with PASM barely knows this rig is there. I added a Prodigy brake controller and the S handles the rig well. Having said that, I've defaulted to towing with the truck. It just has lots of room for storage and is great to drive. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:52 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

Please drink more. I will give you 10 secs faster as a second gen as first gen number is on par with an euro spec E36 M3. Setting the benchmark with cars from the previous decade is just that.
Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2019, 09:56 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Either you must be used to driving Maserati’s or you haven’t driven a Cayenne over the base model.
I find cars to be fast enough at around 430-450hp with 3,100lbs on the street and back roads. DD at 5K lbs and 440lbs ft torque is more than 80% of traffic. Anything else faster is better suites for track. I don't see many public roads in existence today supporting more power to weight ratio cars.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

OP-Go test drive a Cayenne S, I’m sure you’ll find it to be pretty adequate. If you’re looking for some super car sedan performance, 0-60 in 3secs, you’ll be disappointed unless you go full on Cayenne Turbo S. I’m betting you’ll be pretty happy with the Cayenne S though.

My is350 wasn’t a super car sedan, but it was one of the fastest in traffic. The Cayenne S has a higher power to weight ratio than the Lexus. It also does better in figure eight tests as well as stops much shorter during hard braking.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:07 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Please drink more. I will give you 10 secs faster as a second gen as first gen number is on par with an euro spec E36 M3. Setting the benchmark with cars from the previous decade is just that.
That's the older Turbo, the newer Turbo put up numbers just under 8 minutes which is faster than an e60 m5. So yea it aint shabby. And the new Alfa Stelvio QF just put up a 7:40 time I believe.

Not to say this thing will take on most sedans. It's that it is very fun to drive and can tow. The OPs main question I believe.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs GMC Sierra?