Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne vs GMC Sierra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 04:25 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you'll enjoy a Cayenne variant more than a truck, which is ultimately a better tow vehicle. However, I've read the Cayenne is a great tow-vehicle also, it just depends on how much you're going to load it up.

Also, no need to get into a pi$$ing match about the Cayenne's capabilities, we all know it's a great handling SUV and some of us actually have fun hustling in down the road!

Last edited by z3mcoupe; 12-09-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:26 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Why does everyone keep calling this a 5k lb suv.

My GTS weighs a little over 4600 lbs (yes I know the turbo weighs more but it's still under 5k), and it's like 5 inches taller than a freakin prius. They are not that tall, heavy or unsporty compared to just about everything else on the road not named a Macan or Stelvio.

I had to outrun a jackass that wanted to try and kill me on the highway the other day because I flashed my lights at him for being a dick. He was driving a bmw 335i. I dropped it down behind him, overtook from the right, hammered down and cut left all while doing about 90 and got up to 130 in a hurry. I don't think I'd be confident doing that in any other SUV. And he thought his brakes were better than mine, he almost went into the center barrier braking trying to get me to hit him.
Just for the record, my 2016 CD weighs 5080# with full tank of fuel (after I subtract the weight of occupants). I've been to the CAT scales many times as I tow a 24' RV trailer and I'm obsessed with proper set up when towing.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:02 PM
Rich French
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The used Cayenne is faster around a track than e92 M3, Cayman S, boxsters of the same year. The Cayenne would have no problem dusting off a 996 on a track and maybe a 997.
that said, you are higher up, it is an automatic, is is quiet as a library. the sports car experience is more than just lap times, it is the full experience which the cayenne does not do because, frankly, the people that buy them mostly don't want that experience. It rides like an S class merc.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich French
The used Cayenne is faster around a track than e92 M3, Cayman S, boxsters of the same year. The Cayenne would have no problem dusting off a 996 on a track and maybe a 997.
that said, you are higher up, it is an automatic, is is quiet as a library. the sports car experience is more than just lap times, it is the full experience which the cayenne does not do because, frankly, the people that buy them mostly don't want that experience. It rides like an S class merc.
On what track? Maybe with really really long straights
Old 12-22-2020, 10:37 PM
Rich French
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs

Fastestlaps has the times for various car at various tracks.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:04 AM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

If sports sedan like handling is your goal, I’d suggest the GTS version over the S and Turbo. Having had a lot of time in all three, I find the GTS to be best handling and the most fun to drive overall. Yes the turbo is faster in terms of pure acceleration, but the GTS is more fun on real roads imo. The biggest plus for the GTS over the S is the brakes. The S brakes are good, but that Turbo brakes on the GTS are far superior and feel more like what you’d expect from a Porsche vehicle. I suspect that on at least some tracks I would be faster in my ‘16 GTS than my ‘06 997 S simply because of how easy it is to drive and 10 years of vehicle advancement. Not to say it is as fun as the manual 997, but it’s the closest you’ll get in an SUV.

I also have a Ram 2500. It’s a great truck and full of luxury stuff but driving that after the cayenne feels like piloting the titanic. The biggest place you’ll notice a difference is in the braking. Always takes me a couple of stops to get the feel back for the truck and remember I need to brake waaaaaay earlier to haul that beast down.

Last edited by Oneday997; 12-23-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Neil4speed
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Take this for what its worth, the guy I bought my very optioned Cayenne Diesel from replaced it with a Sierra Denali. His justification, it was nice enough and they were practically giving it away. He was also moving out onto some land where he might use a truck a bit more.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs GMC Sierra?