Sponsored By:

958.2 '18 No Power after accident

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:57 AM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 958.2 '18 No Power after accident

Hi, I am new to Porsche, always been a BMW guy, but got myself a 2018 Cayenne Platinum Edition from a salvage auction which I plan to rebuild. It was in a front end collision, hit in the RH headlight, driver's wheel and knee air bags deployed. I am not a newbie when it comes to these things, so none of that scares me at all. The thing that does; however, is no power in the car and seemingly no way to get to the battery, which is why I am hoping somebody can give me some ideas on what I could do next. I have zero lights anywhere, even when I connect a jumper cable to the posts under the hood. The rear wheels are locked by parking brake.

Here is what I've done/know so far:
a) Put a battery charger overnight on the under hood posts, but got nothing out of it.
b) Checked all fuses (under the hood and both sides of the dash, and a 40Amp one on the battery distributor), none are blown.
c) Removed two front bolts, but have no way getting to the rear ones.
d) Checked under the front seat, the carpet was not cut, so it tells me that the battery is there and nobody messed around with it.
e) The battery must be connected and drained while sitting at the auction because the picture that I saw did show the car mileage on the dash.
f) The key is stuck in the ignition.

My next move was going to be go buy one of those trickle chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter and see if that does anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated you guys.

Sergei
Old 04-26-2019, 12:38 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Did you check the Pyro Fuse?

Old 04-26-2019, 01:04 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

By saying that you are not a newbie when it comes to these things, you should already know what one of these looks like. The picture is of a generic pyro fuse. On almost every car made.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

The pyro fuse is blown, there's no doubt about that. However it sits under the seat next to the battery and I see no way to move the seat to get to it. I feel like I caught 22 here.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

The pyro fuse is located under the hood as per the diagram I posted. I could be mistaken as I've never had to deal with it but that's what the manual is stating.

If you think it's under the seat, run 12 volts to the seat to move it to get to the bolts.

I'm beginning to think you're in over your head. These are simple steps that one who is not a newbie, should know how to do. In addition, you should have all the reading material and manuals on hand if you plan on fixing the car. Chiming in on day 1 seems like you're in over your head.

Hope you're not the person who fixes these cars then flips them.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:18 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
The pyro fuse is located under the hood as per the diagram I posted. I could be mistaken as I've never had to deal with it but that's what the manual is stating.

If you think it's under the seat, run 12 volts to the seat to move it to get to the bolts.

I'm beginning to think you're in over your head. These are simple steps that one who is not a newbie, should know how to do. In addition, you should have all the reading material and manuals on hand if you plan on fixing the car. Chiming in on day 1 seems like you're in over your head.

Hope you're not the person who fixes these cars then flips them.
I don't flip them, I drive them and this one is supposed to go to my wife. I went in this morning to talk to my local dealer, who sent me to their preferred body shop. Long story short, they told me there's no way to power it up without removing a seat, which they done a number of times and that's a half day job.

I towed the car to them to start working on it. I'll update this thread when things start moving along.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

I was going to say, you might have to take the seat out first to get things going.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

According to ALLDATAdiy the pyro fuse is in the Main Fuse Block located under the seat. At least on the 958.1.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected. The main fuse box is under that seat.

I think it is possible to get to the pyro switch without having to remove the seat. Have your mechanic try that.

I'll check my cayenne when I go to the garage.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 04-26-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I just looked and depending on your seat position, it will be tight.

However, Porsche has a seat removal method titled, "In Case of Faulty fore/aft/height adjustment"

I'll post up the All data sheet but in the meantime, watch this video and it will show you how it's done. You're just 2 triple square bolts away from getting at that fuse.

Information
In the case of faulty fore-and-aft or vertical adjustment, the seat can only be removed together with the seat
frame. See: Overhaul\720919 Removing and Installing Front Seat Frame

Old 04-26-2019, 06:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Looks like there are 4 bolts on the 958 but you should be able to reach them without having to move the seat.

Your Vehicle: 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (92A) V8-4.8L Turbo
WM 720919 Removing and installing front seat frame

Technical values

Preliminary work

1. Remove carpet.
Removing front seat frame

Installation position of front seat frame

1. Unscrew four fastening screws -1- on the seat frame at the driver's side and three fastening screws on the seat frame at the passenger's side.

Removing seat frame
  1. Remove front seat frame by pulling it upwards.
Installing front seat frame

1. Position the seat frame on the floor of the vehicle.
  2. Tighten four fastening screws -1- on the seat frame at the driver's side and three fastening screws on the seat frame at the passenger's side to -> Tightening torque: 50 Nm (37 ftlb.)+/-7.5 Nm (+/-5.5 ftlb.) .

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 04-27-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:34 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

It was my misunderstanding that you were going to rebuild the car and not a shop. Now that it's in the hands of a body shop, they should have everything they need to repair the car correctly. Good luck and I don't think the seat removal is a 1/2 day job. Looks like an hour tops.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 PM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

It was my misunderstanding that you were going to rebuild the car and not a shop. Now that it's in the hands of a body shop, they should have everything they need to repair the car correctly. Good luck and I don't think the seat removal is a 1/2 day job. Looks like an hour tops.
Interesting thread. Good luck with the seat removal- looks relatively standard to remove.

John
Old 04-27-2019, 02:06 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Don't know what those pictures are supposed to represent, but they don't look like they're related to the seat removal.

In fact, they randomly seem to change when reloading this page. Web site errors or something here?

Looks like there are 4 bolts on the 958 but you should be able to reach them without having to move the seat.

Your Vehicle: 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (92A) V8-4.8L Turbo

Vehicle » Body and Frame » Seats » Service and Repair » Overhaul » 720919 Removing and Installing Front Seat Frame

720919 Removing and Installing Front Seat Frame

WM 720919 Removing and installing front seat frame

Technical values

Preliminary work

1. Remove carpet.
Removing front seat frame

Installation position of front seat frame

1. Unscrew four fastening screws -1- on the seat frame at the driver's side and three fastening screws on the seat frame at the passenger's side.

Removing seat frame

1. Remove front seat frame by pulling it upwards.
Installing front seat frame

1. Position the seat frame on the floor of the vehicle.
  2. Tighten four fastening screws -1- on the seat frame at the driver's side and three fastening screws on the seat frame at the passenger's side to -> Tightening torque: 50 Nm (37 ftlb.)+/-7.5 Nm (+/-5.5 ftlb.) .

Installing seat frame

Subsequent work
Old 04-27-2019, 03:11 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

I am a total newbie to new cars. What exactly is a Pyro fuse and what does it protect?

Quick Reply: 958.2 '18 No Power after accident