Review of the Bilstein front air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 07:17 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
UPDATE for bouncy Bilsteing suspension.

Just had Porsche align the car and all the bounce in the bilsteins went away. It was the alignment the entire time as I took the car in for Air ride calibration. Shop said air calibration is not possible, which I diaagree with. Don't know what to think now. However, I also had them do an alignment and when I picked up the car all the bounce was gone. So they rither calibrated the air suspension or the alignment fixed the issue. It was tracking almost perfectly straight before the alignment, sllight drift to the right, but after the alignment it's trackng spot on and absolutley no bounce. Rides like it did when new. Very happy camper.

s far as alignments go, Iusually have West End do my alignments on my Gt3 and RS4. took the Q7 and CTT there at the same time for alignments and both cars came back driving pretty much the same way they did going in. I thought something else is going on with the car as Darrin is the man. Well, maybe not as much with air suspension as the Delership got this car spot on, at twice the price. Whatever the case is, CTT is tracking like a cat.
Ed, which dealership did you go to? What did you pay? Did they have the car long?
Old 10-27-2019, 01:19 PM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

UPDATE for bouncy Bilsteing suspension.

Just had Porsche align the car and all the bounce in the bilsteins went away. It was the alignment the entire time as I took the car in for Air ride calibration. Shop said air calibration is not possible, which I diaagree with. Don't know what to think now. However, I also had them do an alignment and when I picked up the car all the bounce was gone. So they rither calibrated the air suspension or the alignment fixed the issue. It was tracking almost perfectly straight before the alignment, sllight drift to the right, but after the alignment it's trackng spot on and absolutley no bounce. Rides like it did when new. Very happy camper.

s far as alignments go, Iusually have West End do my alignments on my Gt3 and RS4. took the Q7 and CTT there at the same time for alignments and both cars came back driving pretty much the same way they did going in. I thought something else is going on with the car as Darrin is the man. Well, maybe not as much with air suspension as the Delership got this car spot on, at twice the price. Whatever the case is, CTT is tracking like a cat.
Did you mark the suspension points/alignment points before R&R? If not, that would explain it for sure.

It's a habit after rebuilding so many cars, any suspension work gets a whiteout mark along the alignment bolts, etc so that I know it's spot on when I torque to spec.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:06 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Ed, which dealership did you go to? What did you pay? Did they have the car long?

I did it in my garage. If you ever need to do it, you can borrow my Nitrogen tank and tools or you can come over to my house and we can get it done in a few hours. Have a BBQ and a glass of fine aged Japanese whisky.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:11 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tryfon
Did you mark the suspension points/alignment points before R&R? If not, that would explain it for sure.

It's a habit after rebuilding so many cars, any suspension work gets a whiteout mark along the alignment bolts, etc so that I know it's spot on when I torque to spec.
If I recall, the only bolts necesssary to remove were the three top shock tower bolts (non eccentric) and the one lower, non eccentric, bolt holding the shock to the LCA. Also removed the sway bar bolts but that's about it. Nothing else changed.

However, I totally forgot to take it in for an alignment as it was tracking straight. Welll, pretty straight.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:22 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I did it in my garage. If you ever need to do it, you can borrow my Nitrogen tank and tools or you can come over to my house and we can get it done in a few hours. Have a BBQ and a glass of fine aged Japanese whisky.
Sounds good Ed. Thanks for the invite.
I meant how much did you pay for the alignment? Where did you have it done?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:41 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena. $349.00
Old 10-29-2019, 04:19 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena. $349.00
Gotcha.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:21 PM
427COBRA
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RAUDI
Did you buy the Porsche nitrogen fill kit or rig up your own. If so what did you use?
Old 01-05-2020, 04:07 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I pursched a bottle of N5 and then a regulator kit. Cost a few hundie.

Quick Reply: Review of the Bilstein front air suspension