Sponsored By:

How much to replace battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 12:24 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Default How much to replace battery?

I have my car in for service for two new tires due to a pothole hit and apparently since my auto start stop has been malfuctioning. They found a faulty ignition coil and now apparently I need a new battery from the dealer which is 1175 with tax. ... how??? CPO should fix this no because I've had it for 3 months and the battery should be new.

What is the standard cost of a battery replacement?

Edit: Update, so my dealer that I bought it from thinks that is ridiculous and is going to pick up the car and deal with it themselves. I must say they are starting to go above and beyond for me. The dealer it's at now I was forewarned about but it was where I could send it to with roadside assistance.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like you've got this handled but as a DIY it can be done for well under $200 using a decent AGM battery.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:50 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom M
Sounds like you've got this handled but as a DIY it can be done for well under $200 using a decent AGM battery.
I thought they needed to be coded with PIWIS? Yea I don't plan to have my car sent back to this dealer ever again. That sounds like Ferrari battery money.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
I thought they needed to be coded with PIWIS? Yea I don't plan to have my car sent back to this dealer ever again. That sounds like Ferrari battery money.
There are other diagnostic tools besides PIWIS that can input the new battery info to the gateway. I believe you just have to input the info for an OEM battery and not the aftermarket battery. The reason why is because you don't want the car to think it still has the old battery and create issues later (I am just a messenger here). Search in the 991 forum for an extensive discussion on this.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:30 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Gotcha,

I did read up the thread in DIY about battery replacement and it seems like an aftermarket AGM could be done without needing the coding information.
The following users liked this post:
visitador (12-18-2020)
Old 03-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve done this on my Boxster 981. Used an aftermarket AGM with same specs as OEM. I plugged in a trickle charger to car while I swapped batteries. No issues. My auto start stop now works again so I’m guessing the car was able to recognize that I had a new battery without having to program.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:33 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

My dealer wanted $900 for the battery, and my indy replaced it with the exact same battery for $600. Still way too much but I wasn't going to be pulling seats out etc to do it myself, even if some say it is easy.

BTW - the battery is only covered under the original warranty, not the CPO. Mine crapped out at 51k miles and I was SOL.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you copy the serial and part number of the old battery and follow the same format for the aftermarket battery to register?

Copied from a post in the 991 forum.
"In the meantime, I found my new mechanic for all things porsche in houston. Einar's garage in Seabrook. I took my car over there just to say hi and check out the shop. The tech connected the PIWIS II and asked me what I want to put in the battery change section. I put 95 ah, AMG, old porsche battery serial and 99961109510 as the part number. Old battery had 070 in the bolded part.
my other mechanic in houston said oh don't worry about! we change batteries and we don't do anything in the car. Einar's tech said it doesn't affect the car but it affects the life of the new battery. I highly doubt porsche would add this extra step to indicate battery capacity and type for no damn reason.
I noticed my voltage came dowe to 13.3V in normal mode after cars been running for a while and up to 14.5V in sport on the highway."
Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyt
Why don't you copy the serial and part number of the old battery and follow the same format for the aftermarket battery to register?

Copied from a post in the 991 forum.
I noticed my voltage came dowe to 13.3V in normal mode after cars been running for a while and up to 14.5V in sport on the highway."
Yup - they do that when the battery is slightly discharged. Max charging enabled in sport mode since EPA doesn't measure MPG in sport mode.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:22 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,010 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
My dealer wanted $900 for the battery, and my indy replaced it with the exact same battery for $600. Still way too much but I wasn't going to be pulling seats out etc to do it myself, even if some say it is easy.

BTW - the battery is only covered under the original warranty, not the CPO. Mine crapped out at 51k miles and I was SOL.
That is pretty expensive for a Lead/acid Battery change... We have a Lithium Battery that weighs 13lbs.... will have more cranking power AND will have built-in WIRELESS Jump Starting.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/

Old 03-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would definitely consider an Antigravity battery for my Cayenne if it came in the right size? I love mine in the GT4, but our Cayenne battery is a Group Size H8, and I don't find that size available on the Antigravity site...
Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
I would definitely consider an Antigravity battery for my Cayenne if it came in the right size? I love mine in the GT4, but our Cayenne battery is a Group Size H8, and I don't find that size available on the Antigravity site...
Hey Joe, we do not have the H8 size though we made the mold already actually. The reason being we have not brought it in is because we are usually selling to Sports Cars and both the H6 and H7 fit in most all the Porsches because the battery tray has a movable mounting bracket to accept either H6, H7, H8 batteries. But I don't know if that hold true for the Cayenne. But you should also note that the H6, H7 , H8 all have the SAME DEPTH (front to back) , and HEIGHT, and only the Length Changes. So the H7 is 1.5 inches less long (left to right) than a H8. So theoretically it will fit with a little room to spare, if it can have mounts to hold it in place.

So when we are talking Lithium Batteries we are talking the same battery pack , 40 Ah, within any size case. So the Case size doesn't really Matter for how much battery you get. My point being if you can fit the H7 Battery in the H8 area it could work easy. I am not familiar with the Battery Area on a Cheyenne. So I'll need to look and see if they are adjustable like the other Porsches.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:04 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

^What is the CCA on your H7? Quite frankly, it is my most important spec when buying car batteries.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:10 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see 3 different options:
24Ah = 1000 CA
30Ah = 1200 CA
40Ah = 1500 CA
Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

24Ah/1000 ca
30Ah/1200 ca
40Ah/1500 ca

Actually with these batteries you'll have no problem cranking with any of the options. The more important variable is going to be the capacity in regards to how the battery is being used, what's drawing off of it as far as the set up and how often the car is being driven.

Quick Reply: How much to replace battery?