Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

do you have problems charging your cell phone in your Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default do you have problems charging your cell phone in your Cayenne?

I have a 2011 Cayenne S and more often than not the phone is very slow to charge or not charging at all when I'm using map programs (mostly Waze) or music apps like Spotify. I notice this on any trip of more than 30 minutes or longer. The lightning bolt icon in the upper right hand part of the phone display says it's charging, but in reality it's charging very slowly or discharging. This happens whether I use the cig lighter plug below the gearshift or in the console. Same thing happens when plugged directly into the USB port in the console.

I did the search and didn't find anything on this topic. Are the cig plugs and USB on the Cayenne amperage limited? Seems unlikely as it probably takes more current to heat up the cig lighter heating element than it does to charge an iPhone. Any idea what's going on here?
Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

What charger are you using? Is it .5 amp? 1 amp? Higher? Those will be the limiting factor on how fast the phone recharges. A lot ot the lighter adapters are only in the .5 amp category. I've got some that are 1 amp and will just about keep up with the phone when the screen on my Android phone remains on.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:15 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
I have a 2011 Cayenne S and more often than not the phone is very slow to charge or not charging at all when I'm using map programs (mostly Waze) or music apps like Spotify. I notice this on any trip of more than 30 minutes or longer. The lightning bolt icon in the upper right hand part of the phone display says it's charging, but in reality it's charging very slowly or discharging. This happens whether I use the cig lighter plug below the gearshift or in the console. Same thing happens when plugged directly into the USB port in the console.

I did the search and didn't find anything on this topic. Are the cig plugs and USB on the Cayenne amperage limited? Seems unlikely as it probably takes more current to heat up the cig lighter heating element than it does to charge an iPhone. Any idea what's going on here?
I never use the USB thing inside the center console first off... The charger I use is a fast charger. Also WAZE is known to use more battery than anything else and if you don't have your phone plugged it, will drain your battery - especially on a long trip. With regular charger, and having WAZE running it will probably just coast the battery percent without actually charging or go up very slow. If you get a fast charger, you will have a better experience charging while being able to use WAZE.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Nothing specific to our vehicles.. Apple is just behind the times of fast charging, that's all.

Screen size has grown, apps and devices are more and more power hungry, and yet, they continue shipping with those little 500/800ma chargers. I guess the X line has finally started allowing a fast-charging, but from what I read when shopping, it's very specific.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:18 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Nothing specific to our vehicles.. Apple is just behind the times of fast charging, that's all.

Screen size has grown, apps and devices are more and more power hungry, and yet, they continue shipping with those little 500/800ma chargers. I guess the X line has finally started allowing a fast-charging, but from what I read when shopping, it's very specific.
We can start the Apple vs Android chatter. See where that takes us.

But yeah, I recommend using a charger versus that USB plug in the center
Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

In my 2018 Turbo I use WAZE all the time. Phone is always 100% charged at the end of any trip. iPhone 6.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
We can start the Apple vs Android chatter. See where that takes us.
I'm no fanboy of either.. It's just a fact that Android brought fast charging to the mainstream long before Apple. I won't argue the reasons why..

Oh, stumil.. random ADHD thought (squirrel!) Try replacing your charging cable - There aren't many conductors inside the cables, and if several (but not all) of them have fatigued and have broken on one of the wires inside, you'll get reduced charging rate but the cable could still "work".
Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I use the USB plug in the center console of my 2015 CD. It works well for charging and for podcasts. Switching from podcast to ripped music sometimes does not switch on the screen but the function works and no problem with the charging at all.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Was just in the CS and recalled this conversation. Plugged in my Note9 and it was charging, but the status was cable charging, which basically means it's slow charge.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:10 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. My cigarette lighter charger is an Anker PowerDrive 2 with these specs: Output:5V / 4.8A. Since there are 2 USB ports on the adapter each port is getting 2.4A. That should be more than enough to keep with whatever battery drain Waze/Spotify is putting on the phone. I'll try the same adapter with a different cable and see if that makes a difference.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're really curious about the charging rate you can get a USB meter like this one or similar.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

There are also apps for the Android phone that will show you the charging rate in amps. Using that - I found that certain cables will pass less current than others. I don't think it's due to wear - I think it's simply due to wire size. I have one cable/charger combo that always puts my Motorola Droid Turbo-II into "Turbomode Charging" - none others really will. Oddly enough - that's the charger and cable that came with the phone, and they allow a charge rate up to 1.2 Amps. Most others limit charging to less than 1A (and often 0.5A).
Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Replaced the cable and the phone is charging well! The problem was the Amazon Basics braided cable - last thing I would have suspected. Special thanks to Eskimo1 above!

Quick Reply: do you have problems charging your cell phone in your Cayenne?