Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Keep your current car, get a 911
Old 02-26-2019, 05:07 PM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks more masculine than the redesigned 958 version. On the 958, they made the nose kind of pointy and they rounded the rear hatch and increased the angle of the rear glass. This makes the rear hatch look more like that of a minivan than an SUV. Think about the rear hatches on good looking SUVs, like the 957 Cayenne, the BMW X5, etc. The redesigned hatch design reduces the rear cargo capacity, especially if you need to use that space for larger dogs. They also changed the rear taillights to a shape with a round teardrop as part of it that I don't like as much. The rear window of the 958 also does not open separately from the hatch, which is a feature I really like.

Then you have the real offroad, low-range transfer case of the 957 which they did away with on the 958, since having it was expensive, and many of the Cayennes were being used by soccer Moms and people that never took them off-road. The 958 also has transfer case issues requiring frequent fluid changes, and if those are missed, complete replacement of the TC.

I also like the interior design of the 957 in that it's purposeful, but not overly fancy. It's of similar design and feel to that in my 997.1. The newer cars have too much interior bling, too many electronic features, and too many screens - I want the controls I need for driving and not a lot of superfluous stuff. Some of the newer Cayennes also have the auto start-stop function that cannot be disabled with a button (don't know if the 2014 is in this group or only the newer ones).

I didn't buy my Cayenne TTS until 2016, so could've chosen any model from that date back and knew I specifically wanted an 09 TTS for the reasons mentioned above.
What a great and detailed explanation
Old 02-26-2019, 05:10 PM
stefan063
Racer

@Pillow and @Petrolhead_007 They both have a point also... You guys are giving me a hard time now I should have some answers by now, but... It became more complicated since everyone have the point in their explanations.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Chensley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks more masculine than the redesigned 958 version. On the 958, they made the nose kind of pointy and they rounded the rear hatch and increased the angle of the rear glass. This makes the rear hatch look more like that of a minivan than an SUV. Think about the rear hatches on good looking SUVs, like the 957 Cayenne, the BMW X5, etc. The redesigned hatch design reduces the rear cargo capacity, especially if you need to use that space for larger dogs. They also changed the rear taillights to a shape with a round teardrop as part of it that I don't like as much. The rear window of the 958 also does not open separately from the hatch, which is a feature I really like.

Then you have the real offroad, low-range transfer case of the 957 which they did away with on the 958, since having it was expensive, and many of the Cayennes were being used by soccer Moms and people that never took them off-road. The 958 also has transfer case issues requiring frequent fluid changes, and if those are missed, complete replacement of the TC.

I also like the interior design of the 957 in that it's purposeful, but not overly fancy. It's of similar design and feel to that in my 997.1. The newer cars have too much interior bling, too many electronic features, and too many screens - I want the controls I need for driving and not a lot of superfluous stuff. Some of the newer Cayennes also have the auto start-stop function that cannot be disabled with a button (don't know if the 2014 is in this group or only the newer ones).

I didn't buy my Cayenne TTS until 2016, so could've chosen any model from that date back and knew I specifically wanted an 09 TTS for the reasons mentioned above.
AGREED! Shopping for my first Cayenne, and didn't take me long to rule out the 958 for many of these reasons.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey @stefan063, have you actually test driven both? None of these logical reasons would matter as these are the cars you buy with your heart, not with your head.
Test drive each one using your typical daily driving scenarios to see which one fits your wants better.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM
sjt0017
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned 3 CTT's, (1) 955 and (2) 958's. I'm also just a bit older than you are (34).

Personally, I love my 958 Turbo as it fits my needs with interior, electronics (I love the cockpit style interior, navigation in the cluster, air suspension) - but also the power I like for daily driving.
BUT - if I owned a 957 CTTS, I wouldn't upgrade to a 958 CTTS. You'll be underwhelmed with the differences; mostly interior styling and some electronic handling capabilities (PDCC, PTV+, etc).

I think you need to drive a PTTS and get a feel for the PDK transmission and see how it is complimented with the power, as well as the difference in handling. If you like to upgrade your vehicles, the PTTS has higher HP potential.

If you are getting rid of the current CTTS for a new vehicle, and your daily driving doesn't include bad roads - I'd go with the Panamera Turbo S.
The caveat to this - you're paying MUCH more for a PTTS than a CTTS, and they're very rare compared to the CTTS (at least they are here in the US).
Old 02-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,268 Likes on 3,992 Posts

Originally Posted by sjt0017

BUT - if I owned a 957 CTTS, I wouldn't upgrade to a 958 CTTS. You'll be underwhelmed with the differences; mostly interior styling and some electronic handling capabilities (PDCC, PTV+, etc).

FYI, the 957 TTS has PDCC as a standard feature (optional on the regular Turbo and the GTS), but does not have the Torque Vectoring (PTV).
Old 02-27-2019, 04:05 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I've taken a PTTS up to about 160 on the turnpike when I worked for Porsche a while back. It was fast and stable. I haven't driven a CTTS before (either gen) but the CTT is a very fast and capable vehicle. 957s do look good but are getting that dated look but still classic looking. If you are keeping the 957, go panny, if not then it's a matter of how much crap you tend to take with you on a given trip. For me I needed an SUV as I do a lot of road trips and plan to haul an expedition trailer and do camping around the country.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:36 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously , what works for me , might not work for you . i just traded in my 991 for a CTTS. I too , was shopping the 2 cars that you mentioned. Here's why I went Cayenne. I figured both were not going to be a 911. Performance , is very close. But the Panamera holds it value better, so the examples i could afford , were more miles or older than the CTTS. Both are close in MSRP , but check out the market for a 3 or 4 year old CTTS vs a PTS. I feel like i got more value for my money. Also, the cayenne tows , hold more of my kids crap, and isn't afraid of pot holes, curbs, light off off roading, snow , etc etc. I feel like the cayenne will do most everything a panamera will do , but not vice versa. Both are great choices .
Old 02-27-2019, 07:39 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you been able to drive both? I like both but the SUV would give more room to haul and tow if you needed (among other things).
Old 02-27-2019, 08:54 PM
Mike2711
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all about personal preference. I had a 2012 Panamera Turbo and loved it for it's sports car handling and power but in the end I'm more of an SUV guy. About 2 years ago I sold it and bought a BMW X6 5.0 which I like a lot but I always wanted a Cayenne - so eventually, about 2 months ago I bought a 2015 Cayenne Turbo. For me, it's so much easier to get in and out of - the Panamera is much closer to the ground. I also find the seating more comfortable in the Cayenne not to mention the cargo capacity. In the end there is no wrong choice - just personal preference. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:43 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If having a unique vehicle is appealing to you, keep in mind in any given year they produce 2-3x as many Cayennes as they do Panameras.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,268 Likes on 3,992 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
If having a unique vehicle is appealing to you, keep in mind in any given year they produce 2-3x as many Cayennes as they do Panameras.
Maybe true of the 2014 models the OP is considering, but there were only 316 09 957 Turbo Ss brought to the US. I'm not sure how many were in his Country, but imagine it's a similar low number, so the car he already owns is more rare than either of those he's considering.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 AM
stefan063
Racer

Maybe true of the 2014 models the OP is considering, but there were only 316 09 957 Turbo Ss brought to the US. I'm not sure how many were in his Country, but imagine it's a similar low number, so the car he already owns is more rare than either of those he's considering.
Model year 2014 is the same as 2015-2016 here in Europe. I am not familiar about model years in US. As we are country of DIESEL, only 4 Turbo/S 957 models were sold here in Serbia during its time. To be specific only 2 Turbo S 957 were sold. As for newer Cayenne's, main dealer told me that total number of 957/958 Cayenne's is 9. Hahaha... But Porsche since introduced Diesel in 2009, 99.8% were Diesels here in Serbia. Story with Panamera is the same, only few of them were gasoline, not to mention Turbo/S models. But 911 are mostly Turbo... Weird situation. Since other members don't know this is my 4th Cayenne in history. And maybe I am a bit too much in SUV's. Had Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 2011 3 years ago also. So just maybe, I could go for Panamera. But that is a much smaller car (overall) than Cayenne (not measuring length).

This is the one (Panamera) I am interested in...

Old 03-02-2019, 08:11 AM
stefan063
Racer

Hmmmmm.... Some say I am crazy... Am I? But that Aston Martin Rapid S OMG Just speechless

Quick Reply: "New" Porsche decision help!?