Sponsored By:

missing ATF fluid (5+litres)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 PM
grandmotors phil
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default missing ATF fluid (5+litres)

client came in with a cayenne 92A , complaint was sluggish drive, and hesitation, check it and saw it needed to be revved pass4k to move, and it moved very little,.
took a look at the fluid level and strange I opened the plug removed the indicator, and not a drip came out, but no leaking visible anywhere?
refilled it, check level, all good and road test seems fine,,, told client upon pick up will need to do a follow up in 2 weeks to see what the level is.
strange,,, where did the oil go?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:48 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by grandmotors phil
client came in with a cayenne 92A , complaint was sluggish drive, and hesitation, check it and saw it needed to be revved pass4k to move, and it moved very little,.
took a look at the fluid level and strange I opened the plug removed the indicator, and not a drip came out, but no leaking visible anywhere?
refilled it, check level, all good and road test seems fine,,, told client upon pick up will need to do a follow up in 2 weeks to see what the level is.

my guess would be he (or previous owner) went to a "cheaper" shop for ATF flush.. and they forgot to put oil in...

I hope for everyone's sake the mistake wasn't made at a Porsche dealer
Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Either you're a dealer type person or an indy top of person. Had to think that someone referred to as "client" would take the car to an indy.

I'm betting the Porsche service center did the mistake if that's what happened.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by grandmotors phil
Checked the transmission oil cooler up front?
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM
grandmotors phil
4th Gear

checked the truck after overnight parking in the shop, and saw yes the cooler has a small leak, , the client just acknowledge that they did saw spots in their driveway, to help his mindset, last week her husband has the car engine clean, hence the lack of oil under.
anyway I'm removing the front bumper, and we saw the aluminum bypass pipe on the cooler was full of crap, and it rusted out, cooler cost 1084.90$
took it apart and re-welded the pipe,, problem solve no more leak, , ** note*** the front bumper is a pain in the butt.

Last edited by grandmotors phil; 02-14-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Phil, glad that was a help. Transmission fluid doesn't just disappear. Salt must be tough on a vehicle in Quebec..
Old 02-16-2019, 10:58 PM
grandmotors phil
4th Gear

Yes tbanks for the pointer. Yes the Salt up here is a vehicle killer’ at my shop we do lots of euro’s and import so I get some weird issues from time to time.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

But how much damage has already been done to the transmission from running with low - or no - fluid?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by skiahh
But how much damage has already been done to the transmission from running with low - or no - fluid?
I'm not Phil, but since the transmission takes something like 10-11 liters of oil for a new one that is "dry" - running 5 liters low isn't good - but I doubt if it actually damaged anything. There should have been enough oil circulating to keep metal away from metal - but some things like clutch-packs wouldn't fully engage - causing slippage as described. It might have some effect on wear of the clutch packs, but if the transmission worked when filled to the correct level there wasn't a great deal of wear caused.

Quick Reply: missing ATF fluid (5+litres)