Sponsored By:

PCM not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:56 PM
seizetheday
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM not working

The PCM on my 2014 Cayenne has stopped working. The screen shows the Porsche logo for a few seconds, then goes blank, then cycles back to the Porsche logo...and keeps doing this. There's a whirring/clicking sound you can hear as it cycles. The backup camera does still work on the PCM/screen when the car is put in reverse; otherwise there's just the blank screen with the logo cycling on and off. I have hooked up a code reader to the car: no codes. I've also taken out the fuse for the PCM: no change when I put the fuse back in. Questions:
1) What is the likely problem?
2) Anything else I can do to diagnose it?
3) What's the likely fix?
4) Is the fix something I can perhaps do myself or is this realistically a dealership trip? How big a job is is this in terms of parts cost/labor?
Thanks for any input!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm no expert on this, but sounds like a boot up problem. Wonder if there's a harddrive inside that has failed? If there's one in there and it's a standard spindle drive, would explain the clicking.

After reading about all sort of modules in this car and how they are programmed to interact with the car. I bet this requires the dealer.

Again, IF it's a drive gone bad.. there's a way to recover a drive. Using a company that disassembles them and gets data out. Then put all that on a new drive and try power it up again.

I've used Fields Data Recover in past. We've had drives and USB thumbs recovered in past. But they destroy the drive in the process. So as long as it's not on an eprom maybe you can get it done.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you aren't under warranty the dealer solution will likely be very expensive. You might try calling Becker Auto Sound as they make/repair the PCM units and may have some suggestions as to what the issue is. If you need to send it in for repair it'll still be a lot less than the dealer would charge to replace it.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

How much trouble would it be to install an aftermarket pcm? I believe my dealer charges $5k for a new pcm.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Remove the rear panels and unplug the amp harness for a few minutes. Then plug it back in and turn the radio on.

You may also be able to perform this functionary unplugging the battery for a bit but I weighed out the work on each and decided the not having to remove the seat was an easier task for me. Also I can't guarantee the battery being unplugged is going to work. heck I can't even guarantee that the amp harness unplug will work either but it did for me a few weeks back. Go look for my thread.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Remove the rear panels and unplug the amp harness for a few minutes. Then plug it back in and turn the radio on.

You may also be able to perform this functionary unplugging the battery for a bit but I weighed out the work on each and decided the not having to remove the seat was an easier task for me. Also I can't guarantee the battery being unplugged is going to work. heck I can't even guarantee that the amp harness unplug will work either but it did for me a few weeks back. Go look for my thread.
It's not necessary to remove the seat to disconnect the battery. The ONLY ground from the battery goes to the floor of the chassis on the drivers side right in front of the seat pedestal. There is a flap in the carpet to get to it. You can easily access it - then simply remove the acorn nut holding the negative lug to the chassis - and the lug from the stud welded to the chassis - and the battery is disconnected. Takes about 2 minutes. WAY easier than any other way, especially removing those damn rear panels..
Old 02-14-2019, 09:22 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
How much trouble would it be to install an aftermarket pcm? I believe my dealer charges $5k for a new pcm.
Not having done it myself, the threads I've read have not given me a lot of confidence. You wouldn't think it'd be "that hard" but apparently it is.

I'd look into a refurb/repair before going the aftermarket route.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Definitely give Becker a call. When I had my PCM repaired it was $800 but that was much cheaper than a replacement unit and came with a 1 year warranty.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 PM
seizetheday
5th Gear

Wouldn't unplugging the amp harness or disconnecting the battery do the same thing as removing the PCM fuse? I've already pulled the fuse and it didn't help. If there's a reason to also try the battery disconnect I will do that but I'm thinking it's the same thing?
Old 02-14-2019, 04:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by seizetheday
Wouldn't unplugging the amp harness or disconnecting the battery do the same thing as removing the PCM fuse? I've already pulled the fuse and it didn't help. If there's a reason to also try the battery disconnect I will do that but I'm thinking it's the same thing?
There is undoubtedly more than one fuse powering the PCM.. so if you only removed one you haven't completely removed power. Disconnecting the battery ground will do that.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM
seizetheday
5th Gear

Becker is a great suggestion, thanks. Anyone know a similar company in the Los Angeles area that could do the repair?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:04 PM
seizetheday
5th Gear

Can't get the acorn nut off to disconnect the battery ground....what am I doing wrong?! I am using a 13mm wrench....
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Was the nut lose when you tried to remove it? If so, you may have a stripped nut or bolt/stud. Or, when you tried to remove the nut, the nut or bolt/stud was already stripped. Also, if the nut is lose then you may have a grounding problem that may affect other components. Just ask Porsche 928 owners how important grounds are.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Murat Seyhan
1st Gear

Originally Posted by seizetheday
The PCM on my 2014 Cayenne has stopped working. The screen shows the Porsche logo for a few seconds, then goes blank, then cycles back to the Porsche logo...and keeps doing this. There's a whirring/clicking sound you can hear as it cycles. The backup camera does still work on the PCM/screen when the car is put in reverse; otherwise there's just the blank screen with the logo cycling on and off. I have hooked up a code reader to the car: no codes. I've also taken out the fuse for the PCM: no change when I put the fuse back in. Questions:
1) What is the likely problem?
2) Anything else I can do to diagnose it?
3) What's the likely fix?
4) Is the fix something I can perhaps do myself or is this realistically a dealership trip? How big a job is is this in terms of parts cost/labor?
Thanks for any input!
Hi, the same problem happened to me today. PCM in my 2014 911 failing exactly same way you describe above. How did you end up fixing it?
Old 05-22-2020, 02:19 PM
TrixieNola
1st Gear

Default PCM Hard Reset

Hi all! I had the same rebooting issue, so I called our Porsche dealership her in New Orleans. They emailed me these instructions on how to reset the PCM and explained that XM had made a change that affected Porsche’s. Worked like a charm after sweating some bullets that we were about to have to shell out some serious cash.

Quick Reply: PCM not working