Sponsored By:

Headlights upgrade to LED

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Mitakaa
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Headlights upgrade to LED

I would really like to upgrade from the standard Xenon headlights to LED. I saw on suncoast.com and upgrade kit but it says I need to have the dynamic Xenon headlights and I just have the standard. I am thinking about picking up the LED on eBay but need to make sure they will work. Please advise
Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forums!

I'm afraid you haven't provided us with enough information to give an intelligent answer. Year/model of your Cayenne might help. A link to the eBay item you're considering might help. I suspect most replacement LED units are not meant to be used with an HID ballast powering them, so that may be an issue. Do you have HID now (do lights go up/down when you first turn them on) or halogen (often mistakenly called "Xenon" - they do have xenon gas in them - but "Xenon" is used to imply they are HID.. when they aren't.)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Mitakaa
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi, welcome to the forums!

I'm afraid you haven't provided us with enough information to give an intelligent answer. Year/model of your Cayenne might help. A link to the eBay item you're considering might help. I suspect most replacement LED units are not meant to be used with an HID ballast powering them, so that may be an issue. Do you have HID now (do lights go up/down when you first turn them on) or halogen (often mistakenly called "Xenon" - they do have xenon gas in them - but "Xenon" is used to imply they are HID.. when they aren't.)
Yes sorry very stupid of me. I have a 2017 Cayenne base model. It has HID but they do nor go up and down on start. Also when you turn I do not have a side light that illuminates the turns etc.,
Not sure if upgrade is available at all
Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

If they don't do the up/down - I don't believe they are HID lights. Can you see a ballast bolted to the rear of the light? The Euro law requires ALL HID's have a self-leveling system in the light - so they don't blind oncoming traffic if you load up a few thousand pounds in the back of the vehicle. The up/down is the system calibrating itself - it does it every time the vehicle is started.

I believe HID's may have actually been an option. The fact that you don't have a turning light means whatever was selected when the vehicle was spec'd out must have been the bare minimum. IF this is the case - it's in your favor since there are LED conversion kits available for standard halogen bulbs.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Mitakaa
Advanced

Confusing they are Bi Xenon ... Here are some pix. The lights in the projector are Xenon for sure although there is a halogen bulb that gets activated with the high beams only.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Mitakaa
Advanced

Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

The price, for the performance, of the LED over the HID, when I think that the OEM HID projectors, along with the way my headlights move to and fro', the output and coverage is all I need, at a price that I can afford ($0).

I would like the LED swapover kit, if it were not so much. I can imagine that the output is so, so nice, and that there is a good reason why the OEM LED lights cost so much.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Very odd how that is shown - ie "Bi-Xenon?" what the heck is going on with that question mark.?

I'd love to see the back of the light assembly to see if there is an HID ballast. The fact that they don't go through the up/down dance makes me suspect they are not HID..
Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 PM
Mitakaa
Advanced

This is the back of the light... I hope it helps.

The initial light up is definitely Xenon and no ordinary halogen for sure.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Sure looks like an HID ballast. What's odd is the lack of auto-leveling..
Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Everyone. I did the conversion to OEM LED Headlamp Units from OEM Xenon Headlamps. I bought them from Suncoast Porsche.....
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...958LEDBLK.html
The price was $3,695.00 shipped. You need to have Dynamic Corning Lights and they need to be dealer programmed. Worth every penny for the look and the brightness. I’m sure people think I’m crazy but clearly I don’t care what they think. Hope this helps and congrats on your new ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by JPJRJR70:
Benjamin Cherry (01-21-2020), Elberoth (01-26-2020)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:49 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Show the rest of your option list on your sticker and that will tell you what you have.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Mitakaa
Advanced

Originally Posted by JPJRJR70
Hi Everyone. I did the conversion to OEM LED Headlamp Units from OEM Xenon Headlamps. I bought them from Suncoast Porsche.....
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...958LEDBLK.html
The price was $3,695.00 shipped. You need to have Dynamic Corning Lights and they need to be dealer programmed. Worth every penny for the look and the brightness. I’m sure people think I’m crazy but clearly I don’t care what they think. Hope this helps and congrats on your new ride.
Yeah I've seen that upgrade before but I definitely do not have the dynamic cornering.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have tried many of the LED 'replacement bulbs' for the halogen lights in my old 955. They are reasonably ok in projector headlights but lack a 'hot spot' in the beam because the light is splattered evenly over the whole lens - and on reflector headlights they are simply terrible because they dazzle.
If your lights are halogen you will be much better off getting one of the HID conversion kits which give a far better spread of light and retain the beam pattern.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Dawid Rogowiec
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitakaa
I would really like to upgrade from the standard Xenon headlights to LED. I saw on suncoast.com and upgrade kit but it says I need to have the dynamic Xenon headlights and I just have the standard. I am thinking about picking up the LED on eBay but need to make sure they will work. Please advise
Hey Mitakaa, I was wondering if you ever figured out how to upgrade. I have a 2016 and would like to do the LED upgrade. Please let me know if you figured it out or if you did it yourself.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Headlights upgrade to LED